Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you rate yourself as an omni potent leader?

Bad. I have done very bad things to my dwarfs.
- 11 (5.7%)
Not much of a great leader, but hey! I try my best, and still manage to have fun!
- 30 (15.5%)
I'm getting to being a decent leader.
- 40 (20.6%)
I've been around the block a few times.
- 51 (26.3%)
I have more skill than the average DF user
- 27 (13.9%)
I am so hardcore. I need to challenge myself to have fun with DF.
- 35 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: You current level of problem handling maturity, in DF.  (Read 4263 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
You current level of problem handling maturity, in DF.
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:29:26 pm »

This will be based on a numerical order.

One being abandoning your fort, because you can not even think of dealing with this task.

Five would be taking it like a real dwarf or whatever type of other civillization you play i.e. pretty much like you are your fort, and you want to live.

Two is where you try to carry this burden, and learn as much as you can before abandoning.

Three is begrudgingly taking this task; you would rather not have to deal with, but you do.

Four is where you just want to abandon your fort, but still have fun dealing with it.

If for some reason you have never dealt with these problems place a ? in place.

Here are the questions, I will only place the main problems. [] is where you answer obviously goes. Witty comments are welcome.

List starts here.

-You have fifty carp on your map, and they do not all die in the first winter.
[]

-You have unicorns which will just not leave you alone, and just keep coming back in herds.
[]

-It's your first migrant wave, and you have a soaper, a soaper, three fisher dwarfs, and a soaper. To add you have no weapons which to create your first military.
[]

-First goblin ambush, and you loose half of your useful dwarfs.
[]

-Your best laid plans in trying to get rid of your kittens results in them all being adopted by your butcher. YOU HAD THIRTY TINY WALKING MEALS IN THAT TIN CAGE!
[]

-No matter how hard you seem to try your fort runs slower than a one legged horse.
[]

-Another migrant wave! Let's see, a noble, a noble, three more nobles, and a soap maker. The hell is soap?
[]

-Your first siege.
[]

-An over looked dwarf who fought a fire monster returns to the barracks.
[]

-No more sieges...
[]

(I apologize if I did not use more questions for you veteran/godly DF users)
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

lordmick134

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wanderer.
    • View Profile
Re: You current level of problem handling maturity, in DF.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 12:22:36 am »

Well. This could be interesting.

Carp -         [3]
Unicorns -    [?]
Migrants -    [5]    Solved by making them haulers.
Ambush -     [2]
Kittens -      [?]    Luckily enough...
Slow -         [5]    I'm used to averaging 5-10 FPS with the starting 7. On a 4x4.
Nobles -       [?]    My nobles seem pretty spread out.
Siege -        [5]
!!Dwarf!! -   [1]
No Sieges -  [?]

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 12:25:54 am »

Carp - 5, I don't mind them.

Unicorns - 5, They don't attack unless you attack them.

Migrants - 5, I like haulers and half my guys are always idle anyway.

Ambush - 3, Losing that many generally means tantrum spiral, but I try to hold on if I can.

Kittens - 5, I don't have FPS problems with less than 200 dwarves and animals make next to no difference if you have five-wide corridors.  Not an issue.

FPS - 1, If my FPS drops into singles, I'm out.  Usually it's water or a bugged magma thing.

Migrants Redux - 5, You just described getting a baron.  It's a normal problem, I don't mind it.

Siege - 5, Sieges are fun times and required.

!!Urist!! - 5, Never had a fire problem, but it would be fun to see.

No Sieges - 2, I get bored right quick if the sieges dry up or never happen.

Wow, I guess I'm more hardcore than others?  I dunno.  But I enjoy making a fort work despite problems like these.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:43:30 am »

Carp - 5 Most probably embarked because of the carp, them dying just like that would be more reason to abandoning, imo.

Unicorns - 5 (same)

Migrants - Soapers i can deal with, glassmakers where there is no sand, or 5 woodcrafters or someting would probably be a savescum. No weapons after first migration wave don't faze me in the least.

Ambush - First off, that would never happen, it just wouldn't happen that half of my dwarves would die because of the first ambush. But if many important ones die then 50/50 i savescum or carry on.

Kittens - 5 I have major FPS problems, yet i never even made plans to mass kill kittens, strange.

Slow as in FPS? - 1 I want to have reasonable FPS with pretty much every feature on (i do infact prefer to play with slower then super fast FPS), if its slower then i expected though and i know it will become unmanagable further on, i abandon, don't want to lose time on a fort i won't be able to complete due to performance issues.

Noble migrants + soaper - 5 Doesn't faze me.

Siege - 5+ Just getting interesting, plus i need to smelt myself some iron.

!!!FIRE!!! - Never happened before, but if it does then definately a 5.

No more sieges - Never been there before, but if i do then i will likely reached every goal i wanted to reach in said fortress anyways, so 1.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 12:45:36 am by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 12:57:56 am »

Carp - [5] Tunnel through rock to the river, carve fortification. Problem solved.
Unicorns - [?] Don't play good maps, too depressing
Migrants - [3] Wrestlers FTW!!!
Ambush - [3] Happened twice, both times they just killed my masons/wood haulers. Meh.
Kittens - [5] Butchers can be replaced. Bridge SMASH!
Slow - [2] Only thing I learn is my pain threshold, though.
Baron - [5] Yay, one step closer to the king!
Sieges - [5] How is this a bad thing?
!!Urist!! - [5] Was a hauler, locked his room with a stone door, and he didn't have friends.
No sieges - [?] Uhhh, time to piss off the elves I guess

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 02:24:12 am »

[?] One Fort, 17 years, too many versions to count, no carp.
[?] The same, just with unicorns.
[4] It's easy enough to assign useful professions to them
[3] Oh Shit Shit Sh- wow.  Goblins are weak.  Urist McLeathered is nasty.
[4] Urist McButcher, can you inspect the water reactor for me?  Thanks for doing the run-time test!
[?] 20 FPS is as slow as it goes normally, and even then I consider that 'fast'
[5] 'Dammit, when the hell are you gonna upgrade to duke?!'
[3] 'Pansies'
[?] Unfortunately, I use steel grating on all magma fixtures
[5] 'Feck off, Elvenshit mcDurp.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 03:33:30 am »

Carp - [5]   Good target practice, so long as ya don't run out of bolts...

Unicorns - [?]  Never played a "good" map.

Migrants - [5]  I train 'em all up in what *I* want anyway.

Ambush -  [3]  Hey, it happens.  Next lot of migrants put things right, so what's the hassle?  (I keep 'em too busy building my legendary dining hall to make friends, so tantrum spirals are a rarity.)

Kittens - [5]   Butchers are easily replaced.  There's still 30 meals walking around...

FPS - [5]  With 50 for my initial, halving with each lot of immigrants, I'm used to single digit FPS.  But my forts still get built.  (Bloody FPS elitists ougtta be lined up against the wall with the nobles... ::) )

Nobles - [5] Yep, thats what happens when da Baron comes.  What's new?

Siege - [5]  Woohoo!  Finally, something to get my smelters going!   

!!!FIRE!!! - [?]  Doesn't happen.  I have a chain of command, which has no room for vigilantes... and magma cannons take no prisoners.

No more sieges - [1]  ABANDON, ABANDON, ABANDON!  NOW!!  There's no point in playing such a travesty... >:(
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 03:42:14 am »

Carp - [5] - It's a challenge I'm more than happy to take on. My recent fort only had a handful, but one was a dwarf killing, mountain-goat eating monster. It finally dragged my champion in but the champion killed it, and I even managed to save him. Usually only the unlucky bastards ever get pulled in. Or fisherdwarves.

Unicorns [5?] - I've not had unicorns since the 2d version. Sounds to me like the best solution is a nice squad of marksdwarves and some protective traps, heh.

Useless Migrants [5] - Hello wrestlers and marksdwarves. Crossbows are more than easy enough to make. And after my military has had it's fill, it's on to the fortress and royal guards. Sometimes they're a little annoying, but extra hands are more than welcome for my big projects.

Ambush gone wrong [3] - I've not had a horrible ambush yet, but it's bound to happen in some fort. I might abandon if it seems like there's no point in continuing on (all original 7 dead, military decimated, anything like that) unless I'm in the mood for a challenge and it doesn't severely dampen my plans.

Kitten [?] - I don't kill cats.

Slug-pace FPS [3] - I can handle low FPS. I typically play on my laptop, which is slower than my main computer. By the time my FPS is in the single digits I'm pretty much bored of the fortress anyway and am ready to move on to the next.

Nobles [5] - Fine with me. Depends on my attitude in the fort, but as of late I find attempting to appease them a good challenge, with some strokes of luck (Like this idiot in my fort that mandates the contruction of black bear bone items, since a bear died five years ago... and as luck would have it, the second time he mandates it, a bear wanders straight through a weapon trap into my fort!)

Siege [5] - Sieges are no problem with me. If the goblins aren't initially at war with you, the first siege is just one little scout squad. If they are at war, it might be a little bigger... but at least you know they're coming, unlike ambushers. When you know they're coming, it's a refreshing change of pace from building things and playing with workshops. Scampering your military into action, removing any job that gets your civilians within twenty tiles of the entrance, stuff like that. The only annoying part is cleanup afterwards.

!!Fun!! [3] - Hmm. I haven't had it happen yet either. I want it to happen. Not possible with my current fort, no magma, nor dragon, and I have doubts the local demon will pay my little fort a visit. The potential for incredible disaster is highly possible. As much as I hate to admit it, I'd probably scum it. :P

No sieges [1] - No sieges means no fun. Goblins will inevitably declare war on you if they aren't at that stage, but if they don't exist entirely, it's time to generate a new world. Elves seem too weak to me to even bother pissing off, more like a bonus in addition to goblins if anything to make it more fun.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:46:21 am by Lightning4 »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 05:02:53 am »

Hi!

Let's see.

Carp [4] - Actually, carp are the reason why I never embark on river tiles. This is based on experience, though, and I found that building a wall around the river (which is habitually always in a corner of my embark zone) helps. Constructing a well above a river was also kind of fun :) :)

Unicorns [5] - Current unicorns are not that much of a problem. In 2D, they were bad, really bad, but now they are fairly peaceful and make good hunting game.

Migrants [5 or ?] - Okay, these are very cheap 5 points for me (or should this be '?'?). I never kill my migrants and I don't draft them either. Instead, like with my original dwarves, I look at their personalities and give them all jobs they should be able to handle + Masonry + Carpentry. They were never a problem for me.

Ambush [3] - I do not divide my dwarves in useful and useless, so this would be a loss of half the fortress population. If it happened when I am below 20, I would abandon, but as things are, I probably have more than 20 at that point, so I would have 10+ dwarves left, which would be enough to continue the fortress. But I consider this really annoying (I prefer using weapon traps so that I don't have any war casualties on my side at all).

Kittens [?] - Look at the text below my avatar. I don't kill kittens. I do kill puppies, though (darn dogs), but they don't get a chance to become a pet, so I never actually have this kind of problem (man, I would really love to use puppy meat + tin bar -> cat food can).

FPS [1] - I am a very slow player and my fortresses grow relatively slowly (I am kind of grateful that migration seems to finally take low fortress value into account properly). So, if I already need a few years before creating my first metal item, the prospect of playing at single digit frame rate to that point ...... Besides, I always update by deleting the entire game, so I don't have that much time with the current increased release rate.

Nobles [?] - I am slow and never got to a point where I get loads of nobles, especially in 3D. If I have nobles, I try to appease them, building them all the rooms and stuff they want.

Siege [5 or ?] - I haven't had a siege since 2D, but it is not a reason to abandon. In fact, it is something I and my dozens of weapon traps are eagerly looking forward to :) :) :) :)
("Goblin! Goblin! Get it on a stick!" - who needs albatrosses anyway?)

Fire [?] - I never had fire trouble (well, I never had magma, which could explain that). However, it would probably be either 1 if I can't stop it before more than half the fortress is dead or 3 if the damage is less.

No Sieges [5] - In the past, I have embarked in isolated locations just in order to avoid sieges. Currently, I am more into experimenting, but sieges are not something I really need to enjoy the game. Without them, major construction projects move much faster as I don't need to carry all the loot into my fortress.

I think quite a number of the questions have a bias towards a certain, aggressive playing style. Frankly, if you are not playing as a murderous dictator, there are a few cheap points in this poll in my opinion.

Deathworks

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 06:16:18 am »

I am definitely hardcore in DF.  ;D
The vanilla game is way too easy now if you play properly..so Ive modded many stuff in DF already to make it more challenging, also Im not using moats + defensive building to defeat sieges + I try to use only a very few traps also...with small gameplay decisions like these, the game can be more challenging.  8)
My biggest problem is, that I am loosing interest in DF quite fast, because I really dislike the sandbox mode gameplay. Basically my last 4 forts were abandoned, all had 150+ dwarves, I couldnt do anything more with those. I really need that Army Arc!  ;D

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 08:43:16 am »

List stolen from above. ;)

Carp -         [2]
Unicorns -    [5]
Migrants -    [5]
Ambush -     [2]
Kittens -      [5]    Cats are beautiful creatures, not food.
Slow -         [1]    I can't stand low fps forts
Nobles -       [5]    Nobles are fun
Siege -        [5]    Sieges are fun!
!!Dwarf!! -   [2]    Oh, noes the barracks are on fire... Lock them in!
No Sieges -  [1 or 5]    Depending on fort idea and site features and so on

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 09:33:20 am »

Oh damnit, I guess next time I should read the post of the OP... ;D

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 10:08:20 am »

Carp - [5] A wounded Dwarf is an useless dwarf!(usually there´s enough soil to get up a decent underground-crop going,hence i actually don´t need water)
Unicorns - [?] never encountered ´em.
Migrants - [5] Welcome to the fortress!Now go punch each other in the face till you are a bunch of legendary armor/shield users+wrestlers.
Ambush - [4] Oh snap, Urist Mc Woodcutter died.On the plus-side 4 fishery workers bid the grass too.
Kittens - [5] Keep a low stock of animal´s,butcher the rest.
Slow - [3] Unless a gigantic siege appears on the map a stable framerate of 15~25 is fine for me.
Nobles - [4] Dump the Hammerer´s Hammer.Nuff said
Siege - [5] Go forth my army of Peasants wearing leatherarmor,wooden shields and copper weapons!
!!Dwarf!! - [4] Embarking close to an open magma-vent is fun!
No Sieges - [3] Urgh..better get those over-the-top construction plans going

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 10:58:12 am »

I don't abandon for any of those reasons. I abandon because I have an idea for my next fort.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 01:42:14 pm »

-You have fifty carp on your map, and they do not all die in the first winter.
[4]
I just make my own water supply. My greatest fort ever had a carp infested river right next to it.

-You have unicorns which will just not leave you alone, and just keep coming back in herds.
[5]
Fuck unicorns, I just kill them! It gives me something to do between goblin massacres.

-It's your first migrant wave, and you have a soaper, a soaper, three fisher dwarfs, and a soaper. To add you have no weapons which to create your first military.
[5]
I make weapons! I give them useful jobs! Rawr!

-First goblin ambush, and you loose half of your useful dwarfs.
[4]
Make more useful dwarves and melt the dead goblin's armour into weapons and armour of my own!

-Your best laid plans in trying to get rid of your kittens results in them all being adopted by your butcher. YOU HAD THIRTY TINY WALKING MEALS IN THAT TIN CAGE!
[2]
Pet cats suck, but I would just cheat to get them killed, or figure out a way to drop them from a crazy high up place. If the butcher gets killed to, whatever. The next soap making immigrant can be a butcher.

-No matter how hard you seem to try your fort runs slower than a one legged horse.
[4]
My greatest for ever (the one by the carp river) ran slower than molasses glued to a snail.

-Another migrant wave! Let's see, a noble, a noble, three more nobles, and a soap maker. The hell is soap?
[5]
Kill the nobles and make the soap maker a soldier. If I'm getting this many nobles, I must have a good fort.

-Your first siege.
[5]
HOT DAMN  ;D

-An over looked dwarf who fought a fire monster returns to the barracks.
[4]
Station him at the edge of the map as goblin invasion decoy.

-No more sieges...
[1]
The game loses all meaning and I die a little inside.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
Pages: [1] 2 3