Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wagon Construction  (Read 1064 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Wagon Construction
« on: August 23, 2008, 10:40:20 pm »

Would it be possible to mod in wagon construction, or is that hardcoded? Also... Couldn't you just add the amphibious tag to wagons and rename them boats? Though I imagine the latter has already been tried countless times.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Wagon Construction
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:11:11 pm »

No, yes, probably not, very likely.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 12:04:29 am »

Thanks.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 02:45:07 pm »

Although wagons are animals, they are extremely special-cased.  Their spawning, movement, even their size (9 tiles + 3 tiles for attached animals) are all unique.  And fragile; we've had wagon bugs in the past.

I would be hesitant to mess with them even if I had access to the source code.  To do such things, you pretty much need an intimate understanding of the source code, including all the technical interactions between wagon code and other stuff.  (What happens if a wall is built just as part of a wagon is on it?  Bug 869.)

At the moment, there's only two people who have the access, and one person who has the understanding to do things like this.  Sorry.