Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terrorforming  (Read 1908 times)

Antifringe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Terrorforming
« on: August 23, 2008, 05:40:46 pm »

While experimenting with reclaim mode, I accidentally found a way to seriously ramp up the difficulty of certain kinds of maps.  I mention it in passing in the Terraforming thread:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=23559.0

but I thought the discovery was so interesting that it deserved its own topic.

The idea behind terraforming was to send in an advance team of dwarves and alter the the terrain to my liking, and then use reclaim mode to settle the newly shaped land.  It's kind of like using embark mode as a map editor.

It is also possible to send in a team of dwarves to make certain kinds of regions far more dangerous for future expeditions.  I call this technique (ahem) "terrorforming".

This is how it works.  Whenever you reclaim a map, any creatures that are linked to special features get respawned.  It doesn't matter if the original monsters are still alive or not, every special regional tile gets an additional load of monsters.  By successively reclaiming and abandoning feature-rich maps, you can create hordes of bloodthirsty monsters.

So far, I've found that the following features work:
Chasms
Caves
Underground Rivers
Underground Pool
Magma Pipes

I don't think that this works with HFS, since I'm pretty sure that they are generated by a special script during play, and not placed during map generation.  I'm not positive about this.

"Naturally" appearing creatures don't get respawned.

If you check the terraforming thread, you'll see that I was able to populate a feature-rich map with hundreds of monsters very easily.  It's a really fun site now.

Terrorforming is pretty easy to do, but if you want to create specific effects, it requires some technique.  My original idea was to terrorform a map, and then try to settle it with a standard seven dwarf expedition.  This is harder than it sounds, because reclaim mode automatically gives you a number of dwarves proportionate to the number of monsters on the map, maxing out at 35.   What's more, the past generations of failed reclaimers will litter the map with cast off items, which might not be desirable if you're trying to emulate a "virgin" settlement.

What I do is use my very first embark team to construct a Dwarf Crusher.  The Dwarf Crusher consists of two 10x10 drawbridges placed on flat ground, placed side by side and both linked to a single lever placed directly  in front.  You can then draft everyone and station them underneath the crusher.  Undraft a single dwarf and have him pull the lever.  This will completely destroy all of the stationed dwarves and their gear.  If you put a meeting area in the kill zone, there is an excellent chance that the civilian lever puller will reenter the kill zone just in time to get pulverized.

The Dwarf Crusher will remain on the map for future generations to experience and appreciate.  You can easily crush entire reclaim parties with this thing with only a minimum amount of effort.  A few notes:

1)  When reclaiming, the lever starts out forbidden.  It took me forever to figure this one out.
2)  The Dwarf Crusher will age and decay over successive expeditions if it doesn't get used.  If you want to keep the crusher, but don't want to bother with crushing each and every intermediate reclaim party, be sure to pull the lever once every other expedition, or it might not be there later when you want it.
3)  If you don't get all of your dwarves, the survivors are likely to tantrum and will probably destroy the Dwarf Crusher.  If you miss a few, it's probably best to quickly abandon the fort and accept a minimum amount of clutter from the survivors then to lose the crusher.
4) You can further reduce clutter be having your intermediate reclaim parties bring no gear with them.  Create a profile to make doing this quick and painless.  Don't forget to use a normal setup when doing your final embark!
5) The final thought of most of your dwarves will be "admired a well designed bridge recently."

The other, more serious obstacle is reducing your final reclaim party to seven without losing your chosen seven to insanity. This is hard, because with 35 dwarves, everyone will start out with about a dozen friends.  What I've found works is to let the dwarves idle for about a minute.  With so many dwarves confined in such a small space, they will socialize very, very quickly.  After about a minute, almost half of your fort will have taken lovers (if the wagon's a rockin', don't come a knockin').  This will promote them to "ecstatic."  Select three lucky couples and one undersexed dwarf (if the mayor is single, he is ideal for this, because being elected mayor gives a lot of happiness), and get them the hell away from the Dwarf Crusher.   Execute everyone else and hope that they can handle it.

You should now have a band of seven over sexed, suicidally depressed dwarves in a barren wasteland filled with several hundred monsters that are still crapping out the remains of the last dwarven expedition to come here.  Congratulations!

Other ideas:
Instead of using the Dwarf Crusher, you can try feeding your unwanted dwarves to the monsters.  Undraft them so they drop their weapons and armor, and then set up a meeting area in monster central.  Every monster that kills a dwarf will get named, which is cool.  I don't know if this makes them more powerful, but it certainly makes for more interesting engravings.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrorforming
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 05:52:44 pm »

rofl
nice post.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 06:26:57 pm »

Maxing at 35?  No.  You can at least get up to 70 dwarves to reclaim.  I've had it happen multiple times.  I'm not sure what determines how many reclaimants you get.

You can use "embark anywhere" to place your new fort on top of the old one without technically reclaiming.  Embarkanywhere is a utility that lets you embark wherever.  In the mountainhall, in an old fort, in mountains, ocean, whatever.

Not sure where to find it.  The wiki would be a good start.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 06:34:53 pm »

You'd find embark anywhere on the DF file Depot, link for that is on the wiki. I'd only bother using it for the final 7 though, it might mess with the while respawning of monsters thing...
Magma is overrated.

Antifringe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 06:38:50 pm »

Maxing at 35?  No.  You can at least get up to 70 dwarves to reclaim.  I've had it happen multiple times.  I'm not sure what determines how many reclaimants you get.

You can use "embark anywhere" to place your new fort on top of the old one without technically reclaiming.  Embarkanywhere is a utility that lets you embark wherever.  In the mountainhall, in an old fort, in mountains, ocean, whatever.

Not sure where to find it.  The wiki would be a good start.

That's perfect!  Thanks!

Edit: Okay, it's not quite so perfect.  Embark Anywhere lets you keep all the monsters that you spawned, which is great, but it also resets any prexisiting digging the moment you dig out your first new tile.  If you've read the terraforming (terra-, not terror-) thread, you'll know why this is bad.  I just had three z levels of mountain appear out of thin air and encase my dwarves!

This will be a great tool for more "normal" terrorforming operations.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:32:12 pm by Antifringe »

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 12:30:18 am »

I noticed a chasm I kept visiting in adventure mode seemed to have an infinite supply of troglodytes, batmen, and ratmen, but hadn't even considered the implications in fort mode.  Most excellent!
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 12:32:09 am »

Wait, it replaces all the dirt if you dig a tile?  That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard of.

I've used it to 'invade' the mountainhomes before, but I do admit I haven't tried to reclaim an old fort using embarkanywhere.  Sorry about that, it sounded like a good idea.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 01:43:18 am »

I wonder if Tweak's Adjust Start works with reclaim...
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Antifringe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 03:10:59 am »

For those who care, I've started a log of a game that I created using these techniques:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=23706.0

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 11:34:33 am »

Oh, I tried to start a fort on HFS. I dug it out. I reclaimed it twice.

0_0

I came there with 13th adventurer already. Instadeath.

P.S. There's a chasm tile too, but it doesn't matter. And there're a lot of dragons. I play with MA mod with megabeast entities and they sieged me right before I abandoned.

P.P.S. It's nanofortress. 1x2.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 04:11:16 pm »

Basically how dangerous your fort is determines how many dwarves you get. For example, if you have magma or a terrifying area, you will get more.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

bamjo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 06:17:22 pm »

I just want to say this is one of the best and most dwarfly ideas I have ever heard. Kudos to you, sir, for coming up with such a great plan and giving it an even greater name!

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 07:50:55 pm »

Basically how dangerous your fort is determines how many dwarves you get. For example, if you have magma or a terrifying area, you will get more.

I believe the wealth generated in the previous fortress also affects it. I reclaimed an area multiple times, producing a lot of wealth in each iteration, and got more dwarves each time i returned.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 08:30:49 pm »

I made a fortress with several million ☼s of worth that had no enemies at all not too long ago.  I abandoned and reclaimed to test that..  Ended up with 80-90 dwarves.  Definitely not capped at 35 or based solely on danger.  Myth busted.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries