Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How'd I catch on fire?  (Read 1918 times)

mrdvant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How'd I catch on fire?
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:07:27 am »

So, everything was going well, when in the fourth year of my fortress my food stockpile caught on fire. And all the dwarves who happened to be there. And then all of them that ran to grab the dead dwarves' gear and so on and so on until I went from over sixty population, to 2.

So...can warm walls from magma 1 z level below cause the things near the walls to ignite? Cause that's the only thing I could see that might have caused it.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: How'd I catch on fire?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 11:33:23 am »

Fire Snakes have been known to cause booze fires.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:44:55 am »

Alternatively, check your dwarves' profiles to see if any of them like fire :)

Cog Mcarsonist. has been ecstatic lately. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's ate in a legendary dining room recently. He's been happy to commit arson recently.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 12:55:19 pm »

Urist Mcarsonist. has been ecstatic lately. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's ate in a legendary dining room recently. He's been happy to commit arson recently.

Fixed.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 01:12:43 pm »

IIRC someone noticed in adventure mode that the rum barrel he was carrying exploded after he had ignited a tree. So having booze close to heat seems to make it catch fre.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 01:15:38 pm »

IIRC someone noticed in adventure mode that the rum barrel he was carrying exploded after he had ignited a tree. So having booze close to heat seems to make it catch fre.

Having ANYTHING close to heat makes it catch fire (or melt, depending on the item), if the heat source is hot enough. That's how fires spread. A mere warm wall won't be enough to boil booze. I stand by my previous statement about fire snakes.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 03:27:49 pm »

Urist Mcarsonist. has been ecstatic lately. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's lost a friend to tragedy recently. He's ate in a legendary dining room recently. He's been happy to commit arson recently.

Fixed.

Thats an unfix actually. Haven't you heard? Cog is the new Urist.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:55:48 pm »

So, how exactly does the booze fire work?

Was thinking about setting up a lavamoat or two in the lobby and dropping barrels of booze into them from the ceiling

!Pbhead!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 08:48:05 pm »

Fixed.

Thats an unfix actually. Haven't you heard? Cog is the new Urist.

Urist > cog.

(i searched, and read all 20 pages of the Urist thread before posting this.)

... And Urist sounds better, and more dwarfy than a type of gear...

... And everytime I hear cog used like that... I think of a computer in the storyline of a different game whose identity icon was a set of spinning cogs...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 09:15:21 pm »

So, how exactly does the booze fire work?

Was thinking about setting up a lavamoat or two in the lobby and dropping barrels of booze into them from the ceiling

It works the exact same way as any other fire works. The booze in the barrel evaporates from the heat which makes a red mist that looks like an explosion (but does no damage as far as I can tell) which has started this whole booze bomb myth that won't die.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:31 pm »

hehe, I like having a siggy that causes people to bicker about cog versus urist :)
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 05:41:45 am »

Incidentally, my fortress is stocking up so much booze that I'm considering similar ideas of using them for defence as a big firetrap.  Only thing is, there isn't anything in-game that produces fire reliably and is directly controllable.  Maybe there should be a new "firestarter" trap?

Atm, I'm thinking more of something involving lava, pit-dump, and booze barrels.  Will need to set up experiments...

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 10:02:19 am »

Incidentally, my fortress is stocking up so much booze that I'm considering similar ideas of using them for defence as a big firetrap.  Only thing is, there isn't anything in-game that produces fire reliably and is directly controllable.

How about looking at this from the other side? If you've got magma on your map, what do you do to prevent or contain fires? It might be cool, but you really wouldn't want your booze supply or food supply to burn up, right?

I haven't found the magma pipe on my map yet, so I've seen no fire imps or snakes. But what do you do to protect yourself, or at least limit the damage? Keep storerooms relatively small, with all openings covered by stone doors? Fire-sprinklers above critical areas?  :)  (But I don't know if drowning your fortress is much better than burning it.)

Seriously, I'd like to know how you plan defenses against this sort of thing. It might come in handy to know that BEFORE I find the magma.

Bill

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 10:27:49 am »

frankly speaking, I have magma and I have firesnakes and I have lots of booze... but I never have had a fire accident.  Not that I took any specific measures.  It is either that my fortress design spreads things out enough and therefore inherently lowers the chances of such accidents, or I am very lucky.  Or just that fire is a very rare occurrence by nature.

Not sure if these affects fire safety, but for magma, I usually place my smelters and forges perfectly so that there is no exposed magma anywhere accessible.  (You can do this by digging channel only below the north tile in smelters or east/west tile in forge.  It will be covered by the workshop furniture when fully built, thus preventing chances of anything falls in or comes out).  I do get firesnakes roaming the area too, and although I had some animal traps (placed more for fun than for prevention, since I get the "hate firesnakes" dwarves quite often) I've never caught any.

In short, fire-safety for my fortress : ignored.
Number of fire accidents?  None.  (excluding forest fires caused by fireimps on maps with surface magma)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 10:42:32 am »

I've had snakes and booze barrels occupy the same area, and never explode. I personally think the whole firesnake + booze = bomb is either a myth ( a la mechanism quality) or a holdover from 2d.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: [1] 2