Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deep Qantas: Expanded (a graphic set)  (Read 5289 times)

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deep Qantas: Expanded (a graphic set)
« on: August 22, 2008, 07:36:51 pm »

I've been working off and on to "update" Deep Qantas' graphic set for a little less than a year now, including animals, monsters, and professions for other races.  A lot of animals and monsters aren't done, but it's getting there (I'm using Dystopian Rhetoric's tiles as placeholders until I draw over them).  All dwarves, humans, elves, and goblins are done with the exception of a few professions.  It's also in 14x16 (16x16 really bugs me in 1280x1024), like the original DQ graphic set.  I also couldn't resist splicing Isenhertz's great character set into the DQ one, with some minor changes.

Here are the actual tiles.

The glassmakers might look a bit strange, but from what I saw glass blowing was the only way to make glass for a long time.  Quite a few of the creatures aren't done yet...  It's slow since I've never drawn animals before.  The snail/slug/leech/cave swallow men only have basic outlines or colors done... I'll try to get to them soon.  Sea creatures are very low priority since I practically never see them, even in adventure mode.  Oh, and the kobolds are dog-like and not lizard-like.  I was thinking of Everquest and Ragnarok Online when I made them and didn't realize that Toady made them reptilian.  I plan to get around to redoing them later.

Some example screenshots (using Isenhertz's character set and the "Natural" color scheme from the wiki)...

This is the entrance to my current fort.  There are some dwarven traders visiting my trade depot.  There's an animal caretaker (drawn like a shepherd) leaving the trapped entrance, and a weaver is presumably hauling some item at the trade depot.  Various dwarves are resting/sparring in the barracks.

Visiting a goblin temple, complete with goblin priests.  You can see a goblin baby running around in the grass.  I have different tiles for each profession for all races with a few exceptions (namely engineer-specific professions, and soap/lye/ash makers)

Here's some elven village I visited.  Lots of children are running around.

Here's my meeting hall/kitchen.  It's pretty confusing, but you can make out lots of puppies, a donkey foal, mule, and a quite a few slacking dwarves.  There's also a weaver dining in a rather nice dining room at the very top.

If you're interested, you can get the new version of DF (df_28_181_40c) with the graphics pre-installed here.  Optionally, you can just install it yourself here.
I plan to put updates here in the future.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:57:37 am by Stele007 »

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Qantas: Expanded (a graphic set)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 08:15:55 pm »

GLEE!

The DQ tiles have been my favorites for a long time.  It's great to see someone adding the new professions (and fleshing out the other races) in the same style.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 01:38:29 pm »

bump for your hard work and awesomeness.

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:38:46 pm »

Thanks.  I'll try to update it with more creatures soon.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:58:11 pm »

This is pure eyesex.  I love it.  I love you.

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:46:33 pm »

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 11:58:11 am »

2nd link should be: http://stele.korusuu.net/files/dftile/dqexpanded.rar

Thanks, I fixed it.

Also, I just noticed that the pre-installed version has the resolution set to 1120x800 when I meant to have it be 1120x400 (the tiles' native resolution with the default 80x25 grid).  Though I'd highly recommend changing the grid and resolution size to fit your monitor resolution, you can go into the init.txt to fix that mistake.  I just fixed the init.txt and re-uploaded the RAR files so this shouldn't happen to anyone else downloading it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 12:45:13 pm by Stele007 »

Paolo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 04:16:49 am »

This is indeed a lovely tileset, thanks for your awesome contribution!  :)

Barleyman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 11:37:55 am »

The Isenhertz set replaces male/female signs with graphics - It becomes hard to decide which of the animals should get a chop-job  ::)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 12:52:09 pm »

this is nice.  has anyone spliced an extra two pixels in, to make it square?  since the GUI has a variable grid now, there seems to be hardly any reason to play with asymetric tiles anymore.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 01:11:25 pm »

Hows the variable grid a reason not to play with those kinds of tilesets?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 01:22:30 pm »

Non-square tilesets make it look more "isometric" since persons seem to be taller :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 07:11:34 pm »

really?  well if people want their dwarfs to be tall more than they want their architecture to be symetrical, then i guess i misjudged the situation.  if no one else has done it, i can add the columns myself.

but to answer Mizipzor's query, the strong advantage of asymetric tile sets PREVIOUSLY was that they made better use of screen realestate, since the display was only 25 tiles high.  since the display can now be an arbitrary height, you can take advantage of your whole screen without streaching the display.

and to offer a counterpoint to Deon, it does not actually change the tiles or the proportions of the figgures to add two more colums of blank pixels.  it just makes slightly more blank space around the side edges of the characters -- if anything making them apear even taller.

but your way is fine too.