Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What usually ruins your nicely planned layout for your fort?  (Read 5198 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
What usually ruins your nicely planned layout for your fort?
« on: August 22, 2008, 07:10:39 pm »

As said in tppic name. What type of features generally tend to ruin you fortress layout?

Erhm.

"Diamonds? Well the hell with a bedroom! Mine that out! What!? Flux, and alluminum! Screw building here! Move the bedrooms right next to that butcher's shop!"
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Silfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What usually ruins your nicely planned layout for your fort?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 07:27:27 pm »

Water leaking in because I designated the moat channels over my far too long Archery range and forgot to check the damn moat is safe before I happily let water in.

Goblin ambush attacking me before my first immigrant wave and killing both miners while also destroying their picks somehow, suddenly leaving me without anyone to mine until the next pick comes with the next caravan (or I start a smelting operation, aboveground, with only charcoal) or the immigrant wave brings a miner. Sure enough, no miner came. Abandon fortress.

(Spent ages to find my favorite starting location again)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:30:35 pm by Silfir »

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:32:43 pm »

For me, it's glowing stone like microcline, orthroclase, and realgar.  Everything goes from a nice grey or brown to a OH GOD IT'S YELLOW.

Doesn't mess up the layout, per se, but messes up the look.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 07:47:07 pm »

I'd love to be able to 'plate' things, so that this wouldn't happen so much.  That way I can have a nicely floor and wall engraved giant hall that also happens to be entirely the same color.  ...and that color is gold.

Though I tend to be of the 'OOO! Shiny!" variety of miner, myself.  Not that I mind.  I don't believe in layout anyway.

lordmick134

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wanderer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 07:48:55 pm »

Chasm, river, Adamantine, Magma... Anything underground, really.
Why is it that it always happens right in the biggest and most time-consuming-to-build part of the fort?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 07:51:26 pm »

The weird aquifers that you get near waterfalls. Sure, dig down a bit upstream from them and its fine. Rebuild a grander entrance way closer to the falls, 'oh, there's an aquifer'. Even more painful when you dig upwards into them. Flooded my entire (new) entrance hall.
Magma is overrated.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 07:55:33 pm »

"Diamonds? Well the hell with a bedroom! Mine that out!

i wuld never do that! what can be better than a diamond within the bedroom wall? make sure your best engraver engraves it and have a verry royal bedrom with verry low effort. much more valuable for me than a single diamond.
also, i realy dont care about colours, my constructions usualy look verry psycedelic.
finaly  my forts relay on a verry effective but a bit  borring pattern of 9 11x11 squares with 4 2x2 stairways around the central 11x11. messing this up wuld also make my dwarfs ways much longer.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 08:30:28 pm »

Nothing, aside maybe undiscovered features like underground rivers, pools or chasms.

Diamonds and precious metals are normally no problem, if they should be the alls, for example for a housing, I just mine them out and replace them with a built wall. Soemtimes if they are really precious in abundance at a certain location they might however influence me in changing the plans tso that this part includes housings for the count and his spouse instead of housings for normal dwarves,
after all an engraved diamond floor does a lot to raise the worth of any room :D

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 09:02:55 pm »

So far my forts don't have much as planned layout goes. One of these times I'm going to build a fancy one with a grand entrance hall, multi-levelled dining room with terraces and balconies and waterfalls, bath house, a grand statue garden courtyard with all the nobles/legendaries' rooms off it, and a throne room for the count/baron/king, and have it all separate from the work-related sections of the fort where the peasants go about their business behind the scenes.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 09:06:24 pm »

I modded in a stone vein that explodes when you dig it out.

Microcline in your dining room might give you a few headaches, but I think I'm winning so far.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 09:17:58 pm »

My biggest pet peeve is those little surface lakes. They're always right where I want to dig my rigidly gridded workshop spaces. :P
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 09:23:12 pm »

Lack of proper planning. Making the alcoves for waterfalls is pretty stupid when one hasn't found the river yet let alone figured out how to pump the water up without manual labor

In the end I spend a decade mucking about outside in the rain and accomplish nothing

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 10:26:34 pm »

I breached the HFS with my cathedral and had to do a few redesignations. Still managed to save some of the original artwork in columns, though, so it's all good.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 10:51:10 pm »

my #1 problem.... well, not putting the road in before i flood the area to use an an aqueduct, so that the tower-caps grow in there an block the flow. hate that. a serious pain to get im there, and you know how tower-caps can make the watter buggy.

#2 is being unable to dig a moat, because i already have a passage in use under there. thats fairly common actually. (oh well, i need to raise drawbridges as walls anyway to defend the trading post)

#3 is using a bad design. 1-wide hallways dont cut it, and the beds need to be further away.... the basics you dont learn until youve had a couple kings show up. also, not leaving enough room for traps, or whatever else is vital to survive.

and the production bottlenecks... theres always a specific size fortress where you need 2 stills. its always a surprise, but there it is. one day you wonder "why am i down to 2 beer? i have a still running non-stop with plenty of stuff to brew and a ton of barrels?" and its all about production speed vs consumption.

beyond that.... it comes down to simple things. like the nearest water being WAY over there, and the magma in the far corner of the map... now thats a long walk, and the miners spend half their time walking back for food/beer/sleep.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 11:15:27 pm »

Like many others, the inability to completely plan ahead tends to screw things up for me.  It's especially troublesome when I wind up finding out the hard way that my intricate, elaborately-designed moat network is completely unbuildable because I chose to dig out a dirt cave and put my farms right where the channels would otherwise go.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4