Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: STALKER: In which I enlist your inestimable aid  (Read 3626 times)

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
Re: STALKER: In which I enlist your inestimable aid
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 01:25:24 am »

How do I survive and reduce radiation? It kicks my ass.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 02:22:24 am »

I once tried to play this game. I had to set every single graphics setting to the lowest including view distance. Trust me, its not very fun when you can only see a meter in front of you. I could hear the Anomalies but couldn't see them until too late.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 03:35:42 am »

How do I survive and reduce radiation? It kicks my ass.

drink booze.
its some sort of dwarfen game, too.
ībout vehicles:
dont use vehicles. they are buggy and had been disabled in release version for a reason.
also, as there are "level borders" vehicles can not pass, they are useless anyway.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 04:42:23 am »

I had the game as well, but it was virtually un-playable even at lower graphics settings.  I could play Oblivion easy on my PC, but not this game for some reason.  Was a shame, because it really was a great game.

Did you try turning off dynamic lighting? That did the trick for me.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 05:49:45 am »

Vehicles - check your options. There's a new key binding available to start a vehicle, and I don't think it's bound to anything by default. So you have to set it up to be h or something, press "use" to get in the vehicle, and then another (h or whatever) to start the engine.

I've found vehicles to be really effective for some situations - you can only use a pistol while driving one, not a rifle (makes sense to me) but that does mean you can do drive-bys with an unsilenced MP5 - an excellent combat tactic, especially against small squads. You can run them over, shoot at them, and are much harder to hit yourself. Oh, and the APC is really excellent protection from being shot at - if you manage to steal it (from the soldiers by the outpost in Cordon) you can take out pretty much anyone in that map at will by running them over. This makes stealing documents from the outpost or defending the stalker camp easy and fun, instead of hugely challenging and always ending with you getting shot in the back as you run away.

As for surviving blowouts, I think I read something somewhere about just needing enough cover that you don't get rained on, and you won't get the lethal radiation or anything. I remember joining a bunch of stalkers hiding in a little wooden hut to survive a blowout all the way up in Army Warehouses, and never lost a point of health.

Or you could wander around gathering Fireball artifacts and stick 10 of them on your belt. That ought to make you impervious to most radiation.

Oh, and booze does work on radiation, but anti-radiation drugs are better. Available for free from some dead guys. You can usually pick one or two up by going to the Garbage with any sort of rifle and picking off the pistol and shotgun armed bandits who attack the factory (this is also rather cruel fun, especially if you have a decent rifle with a scope).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 07:04:15 am »

For surviving blowouts, stay away from windows and open doors.  If you're too close to them, or if there are large holes in the roof, you still take damage.  Good places are the bar, the science lab, the trader's hidey-hole, the hangar, and other large buildings.  If they're really big, holes in the roof are safe.
Shoes...

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 08:59:27 am »

Good places are the bar...

Deep inside the bar. That *really annoying* guy who's meant to be some sort of bouncer but just says "Don't just stand there, come on in" to you every time you pass (regardless of whether you're entering or leaving) seems to be locked in a small room that isn't far enough inside to give protection from the blowouts, so he dies in the first one you get (or at least he did for me).

Not only is that amusing, it's *exactly* what I would have wanted to do to him had someone not beaten me to it.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 11:12:13 am »

This game is Just as awesome as I remember it.

Note: I realized this can be rather spoilery.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 02:57:55 pm »

I always do the same thing in that mission, I sprint through the gate into the destroyed wall, crouch next to a building until it's clear and run in, start blowing people away, grab the suitcase, and then go to the top of the building, shoot the alarm, and climb down the fire escape and out the broken wall in the back.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 04:45:59 pm »

Hmm.  See, my first blowout killed me... in the Trader's hole, with the door closed.  And, as mentioned, All NPCs become useless as soon as one starts.  Any idea where I can find out how to fix it or, if I have to, turn them off?
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 05:00:51 pm »

I dunno, maybe it doesn't work.  A good idea is to look at the NPCs, they always go to safe spots.  Stay with them.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 05:02:15 pm »

No... no, seriously, they don't go anywhere.  They stand on the spot and fall over.   And then get up and fall over again.  That's all.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 06:02:48 pm »

Which version of stalker are you using?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 06:54:21 pm »

1.0.0.0.5.  But I'm trying again from a clean install.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 07:22:51 pm »

I'm using 1.05 too and I'm not getting any of the errors you are.

Pages: 1 [2] 3