Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: STALKER: In which I enlist your inestimable aid  (Read 3627 times)

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
STALKER: In which I enlist your inestimable aid
« on: August 22, 2008, 05:38:05 pm »

So.  While walking around the local supermarket I noticed in the bargain bin a copy of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadows of Chernobyl.  I was interested in it for a long time back when everyone thought it was vaporware, so I picked it up.  From what I read, it's okay, but has been drastically improved by various mods.  Does anyone else have it, and if so, can you reccomend some essential mods for me to download once I install it and get started?

Or to put it another way:  Go forth, minions, and do some of my legwork for me!

Much appreciated.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
Re: STALKER: In which I enlist your inestimable aid
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 05:40:13 pm »

I haven't played it since it came out, but god was it awesome despite it's flaws.

I love a FPS that you can actually use some tactics and stealth in without them being "systems" in the game.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 05:53:43 pm »

I had the game as well, but it was virtually un-playable even at lower graphics settings.  I could play Oblivion easy on my PC, but not this game for some reason.  Was a shame, because it really was a great game.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 08:04:53 pm »

What other games is this comparable to?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 04:04:57 am »

It's got the vibe of Fallout with the gameplay of a realistic and gritty FPS.   It's got dialogue paths and stuff too, for the (admittedly anemic) quest system.

Good setting and plot, too.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 07:28:16 am »

First, go into the exe's properties and type -noprefetch in the Target line, outside the quotation marks.  Prefetching was put in for when it was going to be open-world instead of zones, and now it's the cause of all the lagging, choppiness, and assorted graphical frustration that the game brings.  Before I knew about this, I could run the game on my reasonably powerful computer only if I turned off dynamic lighting, and it was still insanely choppy to the point of unplayability.  Once I did it, I can play it without dynamic lighting with everything else maxed, or with dynamic lighting and moderately good texture quality'n'such.  If that doesn't work, there's also a registry tweak, but I don't remember it.  You can probably google it.

Mods:  Most of them are not compatible with each other, so you have to pick one, although last time I checked Alive and Redux could be put together with a separate download to fix the things overwritten.

Alive-An A-Life mod that unchains the animals and NPCs, allowing them to move according to their own whims.  Bloodsuckers in Cordon, Nimble moves to the Dark Valley before you can get his flash drive, good for people who like difficulty.

Redux-Realism mod, no A-Life changes.  Makes things much harder, NPCs bleed, on the harder difficulties you can literally be killed in one hit, armor degrades rapidly, tracers, some ammo is corrosive, guns are found in terrible condition, bleeding is a serious problem and bandages/food no longer restore health.  Food goes from annoyance to gun in your face, you get hungry and hour after eating.  Very difficult, but originally the Mod I Couldn't Live Without.

Oblivion Lost-Best mod ever.  Does the same thing as Alive and Redux, simply not to the extent that they did it, it's still hard though.  It attempted to make the game more like what they said it would be, and to this end adds cars, blowouts, all of the old monsters, new guns, new artifacts, more randomness, all kinds of stuff.  So many epic moments in this, even from day 1.  There was the time I saw a body in the woods by the road and stopped my car.  I jumped out of the car, and pulled out my binoculars to see who it was.  Suddenly I hear The Panting(The Panting of a Bloodsucker, one of the most terrible noises you can hear in the game).  All I had was a pistol.  I jumped back in, floored it, and drove away so fast I flipped my car just as two bloodsuckers jumped on it.  Thankfully there was a guy with an AK-74SU nearby, who distracted them.  Blowouts are also all kinds of awesome.  They affect NPCs, which is why originally they didn't put them in, they kept killing everyone.  Now NPCs run to cover, which leads to some intense shootouts as rival groups of STALKERS rush for the same building.  After a blowout it's storming like wtf, and zombies come out of the woodworks.  Some of the additions are dumb though, like artifact enhancement.  You throw certain artifacts into certain anomalies, and form new artifacts.  I don't think it works. I certainly know I never got my Droplet back, and that's like the best artifact ever.

Also, read Roadside Picnic, see how much cooler that zone would've been compared to this one.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 07:32:20 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 03:57:19 pm »

How about Priboi Story?

Oh, do I still need to do the .exe alteration if I have the latest mod?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 04:30:55 pm by smeej »
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 04:37:54 pm »

Cthulhu, many many thanks.  The command line tweak has drastically improved my speed at hgher graphics settings, as promised.  Seem to be stuck with static lighting but I think that's due to my graphics card.

I have Oblivion Lost.  My main issue is that right now the blowouts, while godawfully cool, seem to be pretty much death sentences and cause the NPCs not so much to take cover as just fall down on the ground where they are- repeatedly- and not actually be harmed.  Maybe I'm using the wrong version patch, or there's some kind of conflict with the Float32 Shader Mod?  I dunno.  Not sure if the vehicles are working like they should either.

Anyway, have some more thanks.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 02:15:00 pm »

i realy like staler.
i made a mod for it. called mmmombomos. dont work with the new patch, and i lost interrest meanwhile.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 03:15:16 pm »

I'll jump on the Oblivion Lost bandwagon. I did play the original game through before trying a mod, and I haven't got very far in OL (just off to Yantar) but it does feel like a much more rounded and complete experience. Monsters get everywhere, blowouts are fantastically cool and can trigger some of the most adrenaline-pumping firefights I've seen, the vehicles work (though most of the roads have anomalies in the middle and it's difficult to move them between areas, so they're not as useful as you think) and it just feels like a much more inhospitable place. Yes, so sometimes NPCs get killed by blowouts, but I've never seen that break the game, and hey - they're trying to live in the Zone, what do they expect?

Not sure what's going on with the NPCs not being harmed... which area was this in? Allegedly the blowouts get more lethal the closer to the NPP you are, so if it was in Cordon or Garbage or somewhere I can imagine some stalkers being caught in the open but surviving.

What's up with the vehicles?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 03:54:38 pm »

Vehicles work fine for me, I once rolled my car while trying to reach cover before a blowout, that was intense.

And yeah, blowouts make for some great fights.  I remember my first outside blowout was in the Garbage, at the hangar.  We were all safely inside, when suddenly the bandits guarding Agroprom charged in, shooting like crazy.  We got a few but the last one or two ran into the box-car in the middle of the courtyard, and a rookie(I think his name was Yurik or Tolik, his nickname was something weird.) ran out and started shooting.  He shot a few times, then this jet of blood flew out of his stomach.  He shot a few more times and fell over.  Seeing through my binoculars that he yet lived, I ran out into the blowout, during the worst part(When it looks like you're viewing the world through a sheet of red cellophane) to give him a medkit.  We hobbled together back into the hangar and waited it out.  He repaid me by getting killed by a boar the next day.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 04:42:12 pm »

I am in the early, distant stages- I have died many, many times.  My issue with the NPCs is not so much their survival as that they don't run for cover or fight, they just stand where they were when it started in an endless loop of falling over and getting back up again.  Even if I'm shooting them.  Plus I'm still hazy on how I actually survive the things- I'm not sure but I seem to die indoors or out.  The vehicles thing might just be that I don't know how to start them, I can certainly board at least one.

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 05:43:45 pm »

excuse my ignorance, but what is a blowout?
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 06:11:35 pm »

It was a feature of the original game design that was cut from the final release, and has been modded back in.  They're pretty epic and awesome events of anomalous energies, with pulsing lights from the sky, slowed-down time, shaking ground, roaring sounds, and loooooots of radiation.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 07:02:40 pm »

Oblivion lost is swell.

I wish the game didn't delete your saves when you uninstalled, damn I'm stupid, I was so close to the end when I decided that I needed space for something else. I'm playing it again though and it's just swell.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: [1] 2 3