Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terraforming  (Read 3240 times)

Antifringe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Terraforming
« on: August 22, 2008, 05:30:22 pm »

So, I'm having a great time with Jingle's uber-map from the worldgen cookbook.  With a forest, sand, two (!) chasm tiles, two (!!) underground rivers, a volcano, several floors of pure flux, a dash of iron and an HFS, it's a map that lets you experience almost the entire game at once.  What's more, it fits in a 2x6 area, and I can fit the entire horizontal width into my screen!

But I guess the dwarven greed is rubbing off on me, because I want more.  The terrain is extremely uneven.  The south is a towering mountain, the middle is a craggy chasm, and the north plunges down into a forest valley.  You have to tab up and down through about ten Z levels just to see whats going on at the surface, and keeping tabs on raiders and hunters and other mobile stuff is a huge PIA. 

So I figured I'd make the world flat.  Dropping the mountains down to the level of the forest would take way too long, and would expose the rivers, which I don't want to do.  But if I drop the first three levels, the mountain becomes a smooth plateau.  I can then channel the edges of the mountain straight down to the forest, creating a smooth, sheer rock face that marks the border between the forest and mountain biomes.  I'll be sure to carve a small ramp into it so that movement between the two biomes will still be possible.  It will be an ideal site, with only two significant surface Z-levels to keep track of, a magnificent rock face to tunnel into, and a chasm and forest right outside the door.

I tried doing this, but I found it too tedious.  So I got a new idea.  Send in the elite terraforming team!

I modded in a large team of fast, non-eating/drinking/sleeping, naturally armored dwarves and re-embarked.  These super dwarves will reshape the world.  I'll even have them chasm all of the rock (probably by letting the game run overnight).

I can then abandon the fort and reclaim it.  It will be almost like settling a natural map, but with custom designed features pre-built.  Hopefully, Dtil will let me reduce the reclaim team to seven so that I can play a "normal" game, but if not, I can always arrange for a series of accidents.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before? 

Super fun bonus fact:  Did you know that every time you reclaim a fort, it respawns all of the native creatures, regardless of whether the original creatures are still alive?  By successively reclaiming and abandoning the fort, I can create a VERY dangerous map!  Consider:

The volcano has 4 fire imps and a magma man

Each chasm tile (I have 2) has about 8 naked mole dogs, 8 troglodytes, 8 cave swallowmen, and a giant cave swallow

Each river tile (there are 2) have so many frogmen, olmmen, and giant olms that I haven't bothered counting

The natural biomes also generate 2 giant moles and a giant eagle.

There is also the HFS...

Bonus points if you abandon during a goblin ambush.

I'm thinking about creating a perfect map, spamming it with about 3 or 4 respawns, and then sending in the standard seven dwarves to tame the savage lands.  Should be tons of fun!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:03:33 pm by Antifringe »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 05:54:37 pm »

Interesting idea.

Btw, you are using the up-ramp method to do the terraforming aren't you?
Magma is overrated.

Antifringe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 05:59:16 pm »

Interesting idea.

No.  I know it's easier, but I actually like collapses, especially when I'm dropping about 4 region tiles at once.  I plan on having the entire mountain suspended on a single support, linked to a lever.  I'll probably wait for a fleeing kobold thief to try to escape through that area, and then unleash the most disproportionate response EVER.

Guillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 08:43:45 pm »

Where is the area you're playing in located? I generated Jingle's map, but when using the location finder I could not locate a place matching your description... It sounded pretty nice so I wanted to try it!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:09:28 pm »

Interesting idea.

No.  I know it's easier, but I actually like collapses, especially when I'm dropping about 4 region tiles at once.  I plan on having the entire mountain suspended on a single support, linked to a lever.  I'll probably wait for a fleeing kobold thief to try to escape through that area, and then unleash the most disproportionate response EVER.

While that will certainly crush the kobold, it won't destroy the mountain, I think. It'll just fall as one big chunk and fill the gap where the lowest layer used to be.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Antifringe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 09:19:08 pm »

Where is the area you're playing in located? I generated Jingle's map, but when using the location finder I could not locate a place matching your description... It sounded pretty nice so I wanted to try it!

Look at Emperor Bob's post here.  http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=20638.120

He's using a 3x5 map, but I much prefer the svelte 2x6 version myself.

Quote from: Untelligent
While that will certainly crush the kobold, it won't destroy the mountain, I think. It'll just fall as one big chunk and fill the gap where the lowest layer used to be.

Well, I dug out each and every level first. The only things left are three stacked floors, with a lever-linked support holding each one up.

Terraforming is going very well.  I'll report the methods and results when it's done.  If there's interest, I might even post the save game.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:26:32 pm »

So, I'm having a great time with Jingle's uber-map from the worldgen cookbook.  With a forest, sand, two (!) chasm tiles, two (!!) underground rivers, a volcano, several floors of pure flux, a dash of iron and an HFS, it's a map that lets you experience almost the entire game at once.

I'm thinking about creating a perfect map, spamming it with about 3 or 4 respawns, and then sending in the standard seven dwarves to tame the savage lands.  Should be tons of fun!

Sounds like an amazing site. I'll second the request for the seed/location.

Also, great call on the multi-reclaim to boost the difficulty of the map. I've been trying long and hard to generate a truly tortious environ with everything and it sounds like you're on the right track.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Antifringe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 01:48:50 am »

It's done, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  I edited the raws to give dwarves Damblock 200, Speed 1, and the no-eat no_sleep, no_drink tags and replaced diurnal with all_active.   I used Dtil (thanks Jorgon!) to give me 30 dwarves when embarking.  I bought 35 picks (five extras in case something I somehow lost a few), no food, and no animals.  I gave everyone max points in miner and created several masons, mechanics and a few building designers (for the supports).

With a speed of 1, dwarves don't move so much as teleport.  Even with modest skill, they mine VERY fast, which means they gain tons of xp, which means that they gain skills and stats, which means that they dig faster, which means...

I was able to buzzsaw through the first three mountain layers in just a few minutes.  It was amazing.    There were some animal attacks, but with 200 points of natural armor, it just didn't matter.  I organized a squad to clean up some of the more disruptive monsters.  It was quite a sight.  You can mark a rally site next to a monster and suddenly there are ten invincible quantum teleporting murder-dwarves tearing the creature apart with their bare hands.

As planned, I rigged all three hollowed out mountain levels to a series of supports linked to a single lever.  Pulling it created an impressive dust cloud, as well as genociding all life in the southern half of the map.  The dust explosion was so violent that it knocked flying creatures out of the sky.  I sent in an euthanasia  squad to finish them off before they took wing again.

Clearing the crags around the chasm was harder, because they are basically a bunch of mini-mountains that are connected in complex and unintuitive ways.  I had a lot of collapses.  It's okay though.  I'm pretty sure that the people who died deserved it.

I carefully collected all of the gems and ores that I had exhumed.  This did not take long at all.  I also created a separate stockpile for "interesting" rocks (basically, any non-economic stone that has a color other than white, grey or black.  I like to color code my levers to the things that they control).  I'm not sure if I'll actually use the gems and ore when I start playing for real (it feels a bit like a cheat), but I like having the option available.

Something interesting.  When I knocked down the first three levels, I did not knock down the caldera of the volcano.  I left the volcano and its immediate environs alone.  This means that the volcano is now by far the highest object in the game, and that if you breach it at ground level, it will dump two floors worth of lava onto your map.  It's quite a sight.  I ramped the edges of the volcano to make it more natural looking.  This also means that the fire imps can get out and cause trouble, which I like.

This operation generated some 15,000 units of junk stone.  It took my super dwarves a little under an hour to chasm it all.  The map is clean and pristine.

I made back up saves of the operation at various points, in case I change my mind about something later.  I'm guessing that there might be a fair amount of interest in these files, and I'd be happy to share them if someone can recommend a good hosting site.

I've been experimenting with serial reclaim trick.  It only appears to multiply monsters that are spawned by special features.  I noticed that the chasm, river and volcano monsters increase, but the lone giant eagle just stays lonely.

After three successive reclaims (and a quick use of Dtil's Reveal tool to uncover the rivers), I can report the following monster roster:

31 naked mole dogs
20 troglodytes
6 giant moles (apparently, these are chasm creatures, and not forest denizens like I first thought)
27 cave swallowmen
8 giant cave swallows
27 snakemen
58 frogmen
28 olmmen
29 lizardmen
16 giant crocodiles
16 giant olms
15 fire imps
5 magma men
1 giant eagle (whatever)

I'm not sure what's happening in the HFS because I want to be surprised when I actually play the map.  If the HFS are also respawning, I expect to them to kill me so hard that they delete
Dwarf Fortress from my computer.

Unfortunately, Dtil doesn't let you alter the size of a reclaim party (and might I be the first to request this feature?).  It's not like it's going to be hard to lose 23 dwarves on a map like this, but keeping the chosen seven from going insane with grief is going to be a challenge in and of itself.

If you don't get arable land, water, and wood, you die.  If you go into the forest to get these things, you die.  If you try to breach the rivers to get farming and water, you die.  If you try hunting in the woods, you die.  If you trying hunting in the mountains, you'll eventually get too close to the volcano and then you'll die.  If you try tapping into the magma vent to make weapons to fight back with, you die. 

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 06:39:16 pm »

Sounds fun :)
Magma is overrated.

zorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 11:10:01 pm »

Wow!
biz.ly
is a free hosting site with a file share function available.
lol nicework.
EDIT! this is mysecond post on this forum. i was just curious as to what HFS means?

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 12:33:15 am »

Wow!
biz.ly
lol nicework.
EDIT! this is mysecond post on this forum. i was just curious as to what HFS means?

I can't figure out if you are a spam bot or a weird guy that prefaces all his posts with advertisements for virus laden websites from Libya.

unknwnsoljer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 12:08:41 am »

i was just curious as to what HFS means?
Hidden Fun Stuff
it would be a spoiler to say more

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 02:12:28 am »

Wow!
biz.ly
lol nicework.

I can't figure out if you are a spam bot or a weird guy that prefaces all his posts with advertisements for virus laden websites from Libya.

Antifringe asked for a hosting site for his files, for what that's worth, so it is relevant.

But is it really virus laden?
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 07:53:53 pm »

That matters not. What matters is that the OP is stupid enough to believe that this map does not a place in the DFFD.