Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rejigging ascii critters  (Read 1627 times)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rejigging ascii critters
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:56:15 am »

While I am, from too much roguelike experience, in the ascii-over-graphics camp, I find that the DF ascii representations of creatures tend to be rather ambiguous. Right now I am getting ready to start up a new fortress, and so I am once again trying to find a better letter-critter mapping.

This time I thought I would post my ideas here so anyone likeminded can steal and/or comment on them.

Critter Type      Letter      Examples   
   Ape      a      gorilla,orangutan,etc, also apelike: troglodyte, sasquatch   
   Amphibian      A      Giant Olm, Giant Toad   
   Bear      b      black bear,polar bear, etc   
   Bird/Bat      B      giant bat, giant eagle, giant cave swallow (small birds are '.', etc)   
   Canine      c      dog   
         C      wolf, ice wolf   
   Deer      d      deer, elk, gazelle   
   Dragon      D         
   Elf      e         
   Elemental      E      fire imp, blizzard man, magma man, iron man, mud man, etc   
   Feline      f      cat   
         F      cougar, lion, tiger, etc   
         F      Giant lion, Giant tiger, etc   
   Goblin      g         
   Small Humanoid      h      gremlin, grimeling, gnome   
   Human      H         
   Kobold      k         
   Monkey      m      chimpanzee, rhesus macaque, etc   
   Ox-like      o      muskox, cow   
   Ogre      O         
   Pachyderm      P      elephant, hippo   
   Rodent      r      racoon, large rat, groundhog, etc   
         r      giant mole, giant rat   
   Reptile      R      alligator, beak dog   
         R      sea monster, hydra   
   Shark      s         
   Spider      S      giant spider, giant scorpian   
   Titan      T      titan, colossus, giant   
   Troll      t         
   Ungulate      u      horse, goat, camel, warthog, mule   
   Unicorn      U         
   Walrus      w         
   Whale      W         
   Crossbreed      x      chimera, griffon   
   Hydrid      y      small *men   
         Y      large *men, satyrs, blendecs, harpies, centaurs   
         Y      stranglers, nightwings, werewolves, minotaurs   
   Dwarf      @         
   Demon      &         
   Fish      α      fish that your dwarves eat   
         α      fish that eat your dwarves   
   Treant      ♠         

Some notes:

I am planning on adding bold versions of some characters as shown here, but it is used more along the same lines as colour differentiation

'u' for horses is familiar from nethack, but still a bit of a stretch for the number of critters I have stuffed in there. At least they are all pretty interchangable domestic animals

There are way too many things stuffed under hybrid, and Im not too happy with x for crossbreed.

There dont seem to be many canines, looking now, but I dont really want to lump dogs (probably friendly) with wolves (probably hostile)

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Rejigging ascii critters
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:08:02 am »

i don't like your new characters,
i dont even know what "Ungulate" is (ok now i know) but feel free to make it for your (it is just some moding ...
god luck for it ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 02:47:51 pm »

You missed the fox.

Also, how is this better in any way than the current system? It seems like it would just provide unnecessary confusion, much more so than the default.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 03:06:54 pm »

Uh, no. No unnecessary confusion. Quite the contrary, if you don't take into account the way we're used to the current system.

ADOM has this system, specifically. I suggest ripping it direct from there.

The basic premise is splitting the icons according to relevance to species. ADOM hit the nail on the head with those for the most part.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 01:53:41 am »

Im considering a fox a rodentalike at the moment, although maybe it should be a small canine...

Im not sure how transferrable different roguelike letter systems is going to be- there is a tendency to find critters to fit the letters rather than vice versa. That Toady has just taken a large randomish sampling of actual fauna is part of what makes this challenging. That and those tendencies towards hybrids that ensure that purring maggotmen are pretty much an inevitability if we wait long enough 8-). He may stop before gabbrocabinetmen, he may not...

I'll go and check it out tho... Hmm... Its been *years* since I touched ADOM...

I am considering adding a convention like 'underline means anthropomorphized' so I get eg R lizardmen vs F tigermen...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 02:12:55 am »

You do know DF is limited to 256 tiles, right? And that many of those are hardcoded to be used in various items and landscape features?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 04:09:06 am »

If you strip the language accents you wind up with a fair amount of wiggle room. You would be hard pressed if you wanted to add bold or underline for *all* characters, but at the moment I only have half a dozen bold characters, and would only be adding about the same in underlines

Actually, you could also do this entirely in a not-very-graphic graphic set, although at the moment I am just tweaking the raws because: (a) its easier and (b) I will probably want to swap a bunch of colours around eventually (or would, if there was anything on the my map that wasn't skeletal), so I would be tweaking the raws anyway.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 06:48:47 am »

If you succeed in it, it would be very nice. Now I'm used to the current system but it took a few days to get used to it since I was a hardcore ADOM player before.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 10:55:14 am »

If you succeed in it, it would be very nice.
Well that kinda depends on your definitions of success. I currently have DF running with the table as shown in the original post, but havent had any vast improvements to make on it.

I could upload what I have to the file depot if it sounds useful in its current state...

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 10:47:05 pm »

If I made an ASCII game I would probably end up with similar symbols for the creatures as DF does. I think most of DF's are logical, more so than c = dog. I understand the 'c' represents canine, but canine could also represent many other creatures, so I think that 'd' is less confusing. Just my opinion though.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 11:42:29 pm »

After years of playing Nethack, ADOM, and Crawl, I actually like DF's system. (The only bit of it that really threw me off was U for humans... so I changed them to H, I'm not likely to think a caravan of horse-people is coming unless I actually mod in a race of horse-people...) There also tends to be a lot of ambiguity and arbitrarity in such a system as you suggest. For instance, deer are as much ungulates as some of the other stuff you listed.. and chimpanzees are apes, not monkeys. Monkeys have tails, chimpanzees do not. And why would bears be a lowercase b and birds and bats be the uppercase? :P I could go on. ;)
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 09:31:52 am »

On chimps- in game terms they are a lot more like eg mandrills than eg gorillas, regardless of whether they have a tail. Im going to favour practicality over correctness here. Basically, if its big, Im calling it an ape, otherwise a money.

On birds vs bears- the coin toss came up heads.

Ungulates are admittedly a problem, but Im trying to remove critters from that group, not pack more in. I can get away with horses='u' for me primarily for historical reasons. Everything else in that group is just along for the ride.