Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5 giants in one cave.  (Read 1133 times)

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
5 giants in one cave.
« on: August 22, 2008, 08:10:56 am »

I just got 5 quests in a row to kill giants, all of im the same cave. Why are they in there together anyways?The first time I got there, the entrance was all bloody with all kinds of chasm creature limbs. The third time there was also Fogwhirled the wolf outside the cave. I like this cave so much, I'm going to embark over it once I kill everything.

EDIT: Meant to post this in adventure mode discussion. D'oh!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:12:38 am by DwarfMan69 »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: 5 giants in one cave.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 08:19:13 am »

Hello!

(Someone here requested that I vary my salute a little bit, so I occasionally stray from my normal 'Hi!' - I thought I mention that since you noticed it elsewhere).

Anyway, as for the giants, they have a cluster tag in their definition, causing them to be generated in groups (sometimes even big groups). This is actually the reason why old worlds end up having no megabeasts and most of the semis are giants - they simply survive thanks to the strength of numbers. So, it is part of this entire balancing issue in world gen.

As for the wolf, well, named creatures need a home and so any non-cave critter will be transported to one after earning a name, as far as I know.

Deathworks

thepuska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 08:40:56 am »

Also, you might have gotten many quests to kill the same beast.

Did you check if they have the same name? I don't usually pay attention to their names.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 11:30:10 am »

When I play I usually set caves to be displayed and then skip the quest stuff entirely so I can got straight to the caves and start killing things.  I have encountered three giants in one cave. (And of course, I had to beat the last one to death with the body parts of the first two.)
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:17:20 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is the only game in the world that allows you to beat up other people with their own limbs.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 01:05:47 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is the only game in the world that allows you to beat up other people with their own limbs.

TEchnically, I believe Myth allows this too!
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 01:12:02 pm »

And Blade of Darkness, though it applies to zombies the most.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:15:30 pm »

Dead Rising as well as another older zombie game allowed this as well. It's sort of a staple of zombie culture :)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 02:17:12 pm »

Dead Rising as well as another older zombie game allowed this as well. It's sort of a staple of zombie culture :)

Dead rising doesn't allow you to throw chunks of the ground at zombies, does it?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 02:21:28 pm »

Dead rising doesn't allow you to throw chunks of the ground at zombies, does it?

No but you could chuck a pie in thier face which makes up for the lack of vomit/fly/loam throwing.

I thought this topic title was for a joke, 5 Giants walk into a cave...

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 02:46:49 pm »

No, although the list of things you could use as weapons was ridiculously long...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/928326/44540

something like 150+ weapons... you could smack them with a king salmon, or run over them with a lawn mower, or throw CD's like buzzsaws

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 02:51:49 pm »

Up to 7 giants can live in one cave. Up to 7 skeletal giants can live in one cave. That was a really short fortress...

Regular predators which get a name from tangling with adventurers and escaping alive (whether they kill the adventurer or not) will settle in caves to make them easier to find.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Nero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 12:39:19 am »

I tried Adventure mode for the first time recently, and my first adventurer died on his first quest. However, after completing that quest with a second try, the very next quest was to kill a giant in a cave. It turned out to be 5 giants in a cave. 5 zombie giants.

Let me tell you, it takes a long time to wrestle down 2 zombie giants simultaneously after losing your spear.