Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Building a campaign setting from the bottom up.  (Read 4463 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Building a campaign setting from the bottom up.
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 07:49:11 pm »

Well, Nonanonymous, you're going to get the most detailed backstory for your RP ever. I'd sit back and let these geniuses do their work.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 08:19:24 pm »

Don't worry the ocean floor was originally covered with fishy life type guys, but they all died... I'll get to that.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 10:40:39 pm »

This...  Doesn't really seem to be from the bottom up to me.

Alright, here's a different idea for the dominant species on Salmoneus.

The Ugolilzsh are a species of cephalopods that evolved in the depths of Salmoneus.  They appear similar to squids, roughly 9' in average length.  Among their notable characteristics, is that they have calcified deposits on the tips of their heads and tentacles, these allow them to utilize their tentacles and heads like spears.  They developed a number of civilizations beneath the waves, before they came under attack from a gargantuan fish, with numerous tentacles and the ability to speak.  It deemed itself Nthothllo. a prophet of gods of alien intentions, and claimed leadership of all the Ugolilzsh nations.  Nthothllo was a sadistic ruler, demanding constant sacrifice, and the construction of portals which allowed things from beyond to seep through into Salmoneus.  Despite this, many scientific advancements were discovered, and the Ugolilzsh gained the power to travel beyond the moon of Salmoneus, and the power to prey upon other species in their sacrifices to their Daemon Sultans.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 11:01:12 pm by Nonanonymous »

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2008, 12:22:32 am »

I gotta warn you, I don't know much (read: anything) about the mythos. I like your fish people on Salmoneus though.

The more I think about your "creating a history that my players can step into at any point" idea, the less I like it. There's only two ways you can do that; let you players do what they want, and modify your history to accept those consequences (read: rewrite the entire history) or not let them do anything that could disrupt your story. If your players can't do anything to effect the world you put them in, what incentive do they have to play?
Webcomics DM of the Rings (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?cat=14) and Chainmail Bikini (http://www.feartheboot.com/comic/default.aspx?c=16) a good examples of how not to design your worlds. If the game reads more like a book, your players are going to get bored, and probably leave. Hell, the writers of Chainmail Bikini got bored with it, and didn't bother to actually continue the comic!

Sorry if this sounds a little scathing, but it's late and I wanted to get that off my chest. I hope you take a little of this to heart, it may help you keep your players interested.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2008, 11:47:32 am »

I was thinking of less "re-write the entire history," and more "create alternate timelines if the players make major changes."
Pages: 1 2 [3]