Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Seaside, Viking Challenge Community Fortress  (Read 1710 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Seaside, Viking Challenge Community Fortress
« on: August 21, 2008, 06:28:24 pm »

Technical problems won't stop me. They are mere deterrents, and I shall overcome. Have overcome, in fact. I've got it nailed down now, and so I present to you, the first page in the first chapter of the (hopefully) epic story of Seaside, the Viking Challenge Community Fortress!

So, with further ado, I would like to present to you this tale of bravery, romance, heroism and death, lovingly crafted by the Bay12Games Forum commoner known as "Boksi", for you all to enjoy. Seaside!

----The history of Seaside
---Year 201
--Granite
-1st
After a somewhat hasty expedition in a direction that can only be described as "away from there", we have arrived at what appears to be a suitable site. Which is fortunate, because our wagon's wheel just broke. For some reason I cannot fathom, I have been chosen as the leader of this expedition. Whatever our private reason for disobeyance was, it is in the past. Our concern now is survival. We will need shelter most of all, so I sent Tarquinius off to do that. On second thought, I'll get Beowulf to do so now as well. And Kartain will be in charge of building the shelter. We'll see the results later, if we don't freeze to death.

-4th
Ferik has dug out a small cellar to hold our sparse supplies of food and drink. For now, it'll also double as a meeting area. Hopefully we'll finish our shelter soon.

-8th
Went out for a short walk to the beach today to watch the waves. I noticed what appeared to be a dead fish there, only it wasn't dead. Whatever the foul abomination was, it could move on it's own, despite looking like a half-rotten corpse. I'm not stupid; I bravely ran away. Fortunately, it didn't notice me.

-12th
We've finished the little hut, but truth to be told, it barely qualifies even for that. We'll be crammed in there. But at least it's better than under the open air. Now we can focus on building actual houses. Question is, who should get the first one? Although I am the leader, I feel I should consult the others first. They might have different ideas about what to do.

That's it for now. I need to fall unconscious for a few hours. Also, Dwarf List:

Founders:
Spoiler: Ferik (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kartain (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Damak (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ivarr (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Leef (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tarquinius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beowulf (click to show/hide)

To do:
Vilmund, Axedwarf or Metalworker
Thorgest, Male, Craftsdwarf/Engraver/Mason, custom title of "Goði"
Sigurd, Axedwarf
Flint, Male, Hunter/Marksdwarf

Gods:
Spoiler: Shoveth Lunsherik (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Äs Uzoläs Dakas Avuz (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Avuz Tobul Limul (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ekast Kerlîgkal (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:23:11 am by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seaside, Viking Challenge Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:33:07 pm »

Yay you started it, I was beginning to think you had abandoned the idea.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Tarquinius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:04:02 pm »

Can you post the descriptions of the deities as well? Also, I find it amusing that my dwarf is 'uncomfortable with change' and 'loves new and fresh ideas.'
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Or in other words: shy from the sky. No answer lies there. It cannot care, especially for what it no longer knows. Treat that place as a thing unto itself, independent of all else, and confront it on those terms. You alone must find the way. No one else can help you. Every way is different. And if you do lose yourself at least take solace in the absolute certainty that you will perish.

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 01:55:04 am »

Looks interesting. I didn't see the sign ups but apparently Tarquinius has a dwarf. Are there any left for me? 8)

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:50:44 am »

Guess I will request a dwarf please

Name:Flint
Profession:Hunter/Marksdwarf
Gender Male

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 09:08:04 am »

Just a reminder, I'm building a house now and you get to choose what we'll use it for. Also belated screenshot:

I'm putting up god info as well.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 09:35:57 am »

I would like just a log house, 1 floor above(personal armory), 1 underground(sleeping quarters). Full log house with heavy metal doors of some type. Later on please cover it in leathers of my kills, which means make me a hunter with my dual axe for a bit if you could.

Requirements (if you dont mind. I think my dwarf will have earned his quarters in battle)
2 chest of wood, studded with gold? when you pick my dwarf make sure he likes gold.
1 cabinet of anything
1 weapon rack of anything
1 armor rack of anything
Tomb (gold sarcophogus)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 09:44:45 am »

Yeah, later on. A few years later on, probably.

And I'd like to remind you that until Toady revamps the combat system, having two weapons is useless since dwarves will only wield one at a time, and axes tend not to get stuck.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 12:38:02 pm »

make the tomb out of a longboat.
Underground :3
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 03:23:36 pm »

It's the Viking way!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 03:45:57 pm »

Yet nobody has any idea for what to do with the house?

If nobody else wants it, Kartain will get it.

Tarquinius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 05:41:27 pm »

Sorry for not responding earlier - I've been heaving internet problems. Kartain getting the house is fine with me.
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Or in other words: shy from the sky. No answer lies there. It cannot care, especially for what it no longer knows. Treat that place as a thing unto itself, independent of all else, and confront it on those terms. You alone must find the way. No one else can help you. Every way is different. And if you do lose yourself at least take solace in the absolute certainty that you will perish.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 05:50:31 pm »

Can't be bothered to do more today, so:

--Granite

-24th
We've finished the walls of this house. It'll be a three-room house, with room for a workshop, bedroom and dining room, so it's rather luxuriant. I still haven't decided who will get it, but I think I would rather have the spot near one of the bigger ponds, and maybe some stone walls as well. I'll talk to Ferik about it, he'll probably enjoy doing some actual mining.

--Slate:

-2nd
Ferik has been busy digging down. He's been complaining about the stress the tunnels have to withstand, since they're made of soil and are covered with layers upon layers of more soil. he seems to know what he's doing though, and Kartain agrees with him.

-3rd
An aquifer! Curses! We'll have to dig down elsewhere... But the only place I know we'l be able to find stone is by the beach, where those... things are.

I'll have to talk to the others. Especially Ferik, Kartain and Beowulf.

-4th
After listening to their proposals, I decided that the safest course of action would simply be to tunnel close to the beach, then dig down there. There's no added distance, and the tunnel should be stable enough. Hopefully we'll be able to penetrate the aquifer there.

-13th
It seems we can't reach an agreement about what to do with the house we just built. I suppose we'll build the floor while we ponder.

-22nd
Curses. The aquifer extends all the way beneath the ocean. I doubt we will be able to acquire much in the way of stone at all, but that hardly matters. We will be able to build with wood.

-23rd
We do have a little stone though. I'll put it in my courtyard, I suppose. Furthermore, I've told Beowulf to stop cutting wood and start hunting instead.

-25th
All the snow has melted away now. I'm glad. Nature is awakening again; this place is almost completely different without a cover of snow.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 11:16:10 am »

Is this still running?

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 11:23:26 am »

I try, but between playing Final Fantasy XII, the dwarven madmen and school, it doesn't get the love it deserves.

Pages: [1] 2