Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: .40a-c new animal/plant reactions/itemcorpses  (Read 8446 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: .40a-c new animal/plant reactions/itemcorpses
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 06:21:01 pm »

Also it could be funny if the spawned creature was not a vermin.

Imagine a water elemental which spawns a water elemental on death.
Almost Unkillable except for certain circumstances!

And it would be nice to make cave spiders to spawn cave spiders upon death. This will mean that you will never lose your source of cave spider silk.

I personally would like to see a race that would siege you and was really weak in their attacks, but whenever you killed one a near invincible ghostly building destroyer arose from their corpse.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 06:56:52 pm »

Liquid is not an item or creature.
Therefore no.
But my question about the shell still stands.  Since you can't very well buy shell from embark to save it in a profile...

The reaction you posted for turtle shell is valid. You are allowed to test stuff yourself you know... :-\

Edit: Probably also works for bone, silk, leather, and a bunch of other material types.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:00:26 pm by ItchyBeard »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 07:29:32 pm »

Liquid is not an item or creature.
Therefore no.
But my question about the shell still stands.  Since you can't very well buy shell from embark to save it in a profile...

The reaction you posted for turtle shell is valid. You are allowed to test stuff yourself you know... :-\

Edit: Probably also works for bone, silk, leather, and a bunch of other material types.
Well yeah I know I could test it myself..  I was having a bit of trouble getting my reactions_new to work while that was in there, so I figured maybe there was some issue..  but I just resolved that, came here to post that it did in fact work, only to see you beat me to it.  Ah well.  As for leather and cloth:
[PRODUCT:100:5:CLOTH:NONE:SILK:SPIDER_CAVE]
[PRODUCT:100:5:CLOTH:NONE:PLANT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG]
[PRODUCT:100:5:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:LEATHER:DONKEY]
I have tested and validated these already.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 06:49:12 pm »

Doublepost because it's needed:
Adding onto this;
[PRODUCT:100:1:SKULL:NO_SUBTYPE:ELF:STANDARD]
Produces boiling bone syndrome, killing or maiming the furnace operator and anybody who comes to pick up any other items created in the same reaction.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 07:21:38 pm »

Try [PRODUCT:100:1:SKULL:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:ELF] instead.

I'm a bit curious about other possibilities, too.

For example, can we produce ice?  There's no token for water yet AFAIK, but that doesn't rule out the possibility.

What about various animal products, like cheese, meat, tallow (presumably the GLOB item type)

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 08:03:45 pm »

What about various animal products, like cheese, meat, tallow (presumably the GLOB item type)

Well, you could try out the following material tokens.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These are also on the wiki at http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Item_tokens

RENDERED_FAT looks interesting, as does SOAP_ANIMAL. Mmm, elf soap castle anyone?

It's a pity we can't make items contained in other items yet. I've managed to make sand, piles of sand, and bags (and boxes) made out of sand, but can't get the sand inside other objects (currently impossible). I've also been unable to find any tokens which refer to water or ice, so I'm not sure how much success you'll have there. The .exe does have WATER listed in it, but I believe as a sphere token.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 11:07:05 pm »

bags (and boxes) made out of sand

Bags?  How?  There's no BAG item type according to the wiki.

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 11:16:55 pm »

RENDERED_FAT sounds like it would be tallow.  But I thought tallow was handled by GLOB..  oh, wait.  I guess RF is the material type and GLOB is the usual item type?
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 11:22:24 pm »

Err, I may be wrong about the bags made out of sand - I've definitely tested boxes made out of sand though. I have a feeling the bag/box thing may be based on material - working from a horrible memory here though :P.

I vaguely recall I was messing around with the bags which exist in the embark profiles. What do the bags you can take on embark show up as in the embark profile file? (e.g. the cat leather ones)?

I'll check when I have access to DF again if someone else doesn't look into it first.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 10:38:39 pm »

Err, I may be wrong about the bags made out of sand - I've definitely tested boxes made out of sand though. I have a feeling the bag/box thing may be based on material - working from a horrible memory here though :P.

I checked - bags are just leather boxes.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2008, 10:36:49 am »

So plant fiber and silk boxes must also be bags.  But how do we make metal thread (e.g. adamantine) bags?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2008, 10:53:52 am »

I would assume METAL:ADAMANTINE would do it.
Or perhaps CLOTH:ADAMANTINE ?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2008, 05:45:08 pm »

The working and logical plant/wood/etc reactions is a wonderful development. I tried a long time ago to make a plant that can be grown for wood, but it was very clunky and didn't work well (produced 'logs' and no seeds).

Now with all this, it could be done fairly easily.

This plant:
Coupled with this reaction:
Allows you to grow tower caps. Now, they'll be grown as STACKS of tower caps, but the stack size wouldn't matter except for storage purposes. You'd also have to add the job to the manager to get them taken out of barrels if you stored them in barrels, but you could easily fix that by making a stockpile just for them with no barrels and have the plant stockpiles not accept them. And having to process them with the furnace operating skill makes little sense... but it actually WORKS now, which is great. And you even get enough seeds to keep growing future generations of them. You could just plant large fields of them every spring, and harvest them every winter.

Imagine what we'll be able to do once Toady migrates all of the workshops to the raws? We could have them processed in farmers workshops instead of smelters, which would make much more sense. And think of all the other things: The ability to make *any* material into *any* object by adding the right entries to the workshops.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 05:48:11 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2008, 06:52:58 pm »

Imagine what we'll be able to do once Toady migrates all of the workshops to the raws? We could have them processed in farmers workshops instead of smelters, which would make much more sense. And think of all the other things: The ability to make *any* material into *any* object by adding the right entries to the workshops.

I'd love to be able to add a reaction to the alchemist's workshop that creates a dwarf from corpse parts.  :D

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2008, 11:45:40 am »

Keep in mind that not all item types are listed on the wiki. Pipe sections, for example (IIRC it's just PIPE_SECTION).

So, it doesn't mean you can't make bags, but it might take a little experimentation in order to find the correct item type.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4