Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What... the...  (Read 1519 times)

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
What... the...
« on: August 21, 2008, 05:19:46 pm »

So the Queen and King Consort finally showed up at my fortress, bringing their advisor (the King's aunt), four Royal Guards, and a Hammerer.  The King had a long and dwarfly history of killing wildlife, but unfortunately had no legs.  Fair enough; he was carried to the barracks to rest, and soon found himself ecstatic.  The first thing the Hammerer did (and I tried various things to stop her) was to hunt down and beat to death three of my dwarves.  Fair enough.  Eventually she went to sleep and was locked in to starve.
Now the Queen wouldn't choose herself a bedroom, despite there being various Royal and Grand bedrooms unoccupied.  Fair enough (yeah, I know, I'd probably have to assign her one myself, but I was curious as to whether she might pick one that matched her 'status').  Upshot was, she got unhappy, and started a fight.
Bam! out of the blue, "Geshud Dakosttishis, Queen has bled to death."  Fair enough.  A little surprising that they'd just up and kill her, but quite gratifying.
And then...
"Litast Oddomtaron, Advisor has been struck down."
"Obok Gimrakust, Planter has been struck down."
"Kol Shigosvabok, Planter has been struck down."
"Rith Urvadginet, Stoneworker has been struck down."
By the time Obok bit the dust, I was watching.  One of the Champions (whose emotions were "Ecstatic" throughout and who had no wounds or "unhappy" state indicators) just switched onto a killing spree, running round the meeting area just randomly targetting people and killing them.
He was eventually brought down by another Champion (funnily enough, a much weaker one).
What on earth?  One minute everything running smoothly, the next, the hallways are covered in bits of dwarf and sprays of blood*.

I don't believe the Advisor flipped over the death of the Queen - she wasn't even her friend, oddly, just a "passing acquaintance", she was the King Consort's aunt.  There's nothing about starting fights or smashing things in her bio.

Any ideas?  What made a normal, perfectly healthy, long-standing member of the fort who was (and remained) "ecstatic" go all Flippy?  He was a "passing acquaintance" of the Queen, and no relationship at all with the Advisor.

On a happy note, the King Consort is still "ecstatic" in his barracks sickbed.  He doesn't have any rooms or furniture either, but doesn't care.

*I realise these are often synonymous, but not in this case.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: What... the...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 05:25:30 pm »

"The default mental state of a dwarf is madness. Sanity is a temporary condition - a PRIVILEGE you have to EARN!"

-quote archive.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 05:27:09 pm »

Eh wow nothing similar has happened to me so far [thankfully?]  ;D

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 05:37:44 pm »

Are you sure that your dwarves aren't smoking the longland grass?

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 05:47:25 pm »

Naw, they're on a good diet... unless Sunshine is related to moonshine, of course.
To add to my confusion, the dead Champion's page reads thus:

"He is an enemy of The Contingent Tick (local goblins).  He is an enemy of The Amazing Relic.  He is an enemy of The Pillar of Buds (the dwarf civ).  He is an enemy of The Eternal Seal (the group of dwarfs).  He is a former member of The Pillar of Buds.  He is a former member of The Eternal Seal."

And... woah.  So is the Queen.  The Amazing Relic was her group; she is now still listed as belonging to The Amazing Relic but is at war with The Pillar of Buds and The Eternal Seal.
It's like the Queen declared her own personal war with an army of one Champion.   ???
Oh
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 06:37:27 pm »

And another Champion just randomly flipped, no trigger.  Also showing as an enemy of and a former member of the group and civilisation.  This is worrying me!   :(
Oh
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 07:28:54 pm »

Make a backup save so that you have one if (when) your entire fort destroys itself in a civil war, so you can post a bug report about it.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 10:20:04 pm »

Very well may be a bug.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 01:22:45 am »

Did these guys have grudges in their relationship list? I've always wondered if those would lead to murder.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 02:33:06 am »

i think queen wanted some war to became eventualy the real queen without his husband :D but was decouvert so she and his champion tryed to ascep when the 3 other (planter and so) was discovered ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 03:08:06 am »

Hi!

I am not surprised that they became enemies of the civ and the local government. They got that status probably the moment they became violently insane.

If anything, the champion's listing as having the queen's group for an enemy is odd, especially if she was not kicked out of her group.

As for reasons for the flips, I presume you didn't find any hints in the thoughts they had. If so, then there is definitely something funny going on in your fortress... (Maybe mad cow disease :) :) :) :) )

Deathworks

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 08:35:15 am »

It´s the dwarfen way of shwoing you that your dining room isn´t nice enough!

Go forth and engrave it!Block out the boring,plump walls with Adamantine-statue´s of...dwarfs..sorrounded by dwarfs..the dwarf is speaking to the dwarfs...
Every single chair and table shall be encrusted by at least with one <cut crystall glass gem>!

Or,becouse of the Queen´s tantrum,she herself became enraged by getting hit by her attacker,hence..attacking..even more,perhaps mortality wounding her prey,thus marking her as an enemy.The champion interferred,breaking her silly bonez,probably one-hitting her.Thus he became an enemy of the queen´s clan - and everyone in the room proceeded to attack him(prob. only these who were part of her clan)... i´d say that no further explanation is necessary to exlain the following carnage.