Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: my military masterplan failed me  (Read 1688 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
my military masterplan failed me
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:58:31 pm »

in my last fort my military dwarfes had speares. there where some sparing losses, but i thought the low-gib-kills (and therefore less cleaning jobs) wuld sacrefice them.  but the speares where getting stuck so often, and i decided to use hammers this time.

but now, it sems, that my champions entirely smash the upper and lower body all the time, causesing flying heads, arms and legs.
what a mess!
kinda funny, anyway.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: my military masterplan failed me
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 01:03:46 pm »

Hammers and Maces won't create any extra pieces on their own, only when they knock an enemy into an obstacle hard enough to make the corpse explode.  So the mess only really comes when there's a lot of trees and walls and whatnot in the area.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:18:42 pm »

ah, thanks for that info!

i realy did not know whre all those gibs came from, all i can say is that my dwarfs didnt left a single corpse in one pice during the last battle ^^

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 03:38:37 pm »

ah, thanks for that info!

i realy did not know whre all those gibs came from, all i can say is that my dwarfs didnt left a single corpse in one pice during the last battle ^^

You should try out axedwarves...limbs will be everywhere.  ;D

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 04:23:13 pm »

Simple rule for video games with gibs.

Don't fight. No gibs that way.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 04:41:22 pm »

Simple rule for video games with gibs.

Don't fight. No gibs that way.

Lies.  Traps aren't fighting, and serrated blade weapon traps cut things all apart.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 05:27:43 pm »

Bah. You steal socks.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 05:51:25 pm »

Just ask yourself: what would Stozu do?
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 07:13:13 pm »

i just tried the 2840c.
it can autoforbid to enemy limbs.
im back on swords.
they  got a good chance to server and a critical chance for the bodyhits.
for traps i will stay with the balls even if the discs are much more fun. i think when made with low quality and low material, the critical hit is verry handy.

i dont use cagetraps.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 10:17:51 am »

Create a garbage pit near the site of battle. Also set your dwarves to dump corpses. You can have the pit be several Z levels deep and reach down into your actual refuse pile to make things easier, but use it as a surface-accessible garbage dump, so dwarves only need to walk a few steps to throw various body parts and corpses down into the pit.

Make sure the pit itself is subterranean so the bones don't decay. Reclaim the bones when the corpses and body parts have rotted away. You get 1 extra bone for each severed body part that decays.

Then, decorate everything with spikes of goblin bone.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 01:16:12 pm »

I'm usually a little more pragmatic when it comes to traps and corpses.  Cage traps can't take out as many enemies per trap as weapon traps, but they save a LOT of hauling jobs by needing only two post-battle cleanup jobs per kill (one for the cage, one to reload) to clean up rather than upwards of two dozen per kill for a weapon trap.  They also let me put the enemies where they can't hurt me and can't run away, thus serving as target practice for my Marksdwarves, and letting me clean up their gear at my lesiure.

If there isn't some other pressing need for bones that can't be solved by butchering a couple cattle (a situation I have yet to run into), the bones get turned into practice ammo.  While it's damned tempting to make weapon traps that have ten goblin-bone-covered serrated discs right where the enemy will run into them, dead gobbos are dead gobbos, and every little bit helps.

Of course, I usually DO still have weapon traps, just because I like the thought of goblins being whipped to death by their own buddies' scourges.  When it comes too effectiveness though, cage traps are my first choice.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 01:21:14 pm »

Hi!

Have you tried weapon traps with menacing spikes? They usually don't splatter the victim, so no chunks or limbs hauling.

Deathworks

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 01:37:16 pm »

Not with just menacing spikes, no.  But that's beside the point because even if the corpse is still in one piece, there's still the twenty (narrow giant cave spider loincloths) that the goblin was wearing and thus now sit in that space.  So unless you want to leave that stuff sitting around, there's that many hauling jobs that your work-slaves need to take care of.  And if you're cleaning up an ambush (meaning there might still be a pack of ambushers out there) or in an area with dangerous wildlife, that means your soldiers have to be on duty in the area that much longer.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 05:58:41 pm »

You can mod the entities file to strip off clothing for goblins.

For instance, my goblins are modded to be completely naked, but still use shields and weapons. Thus, they provide iron, they can fight and do decent damage to an untrained military, but the cleanup isn't all that bad.

Default goblins are just horrible. Figure each goblin has about 10 equipped items, and the biggest sieges are around 70 goblins...thats a lot of hauling tasks to clean up the battlefield! Often times too many to finish before the next siege arrives, so the clutter just builds up.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 06:26:16 pm »

I prefer trying to find non-modding solutions because when I try to mod something, I usually end up failing miserably and setting something on fire in the process.
Pages: [1] 2