Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boneheaded move  (Read 1629 times)

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
Boneheaded move
« on: August 21, 2008, 10:59:31 am »

OK, I had a minor cave-in with my second fortress. Nothing much, really, and I'm not sure exactly what happened. I was trimming off some overhanging rock, having my miners channel the edges, and I suspect that one miner simply channeled away the floor while another was standing on it. (I'd seen them try this before, but I completely forgot to watch out for it.)

That's not the boneheaded move (a minor brain fart at worst). A little while later, I was trying to clean up the entrance area of my fort, so I set my miners to dig out an entire lump of rock out front. They were almost finished when I realized that - duh! - mining leaves the roof behind! Here I had this huge area of roof, with absolutely no connection to anything, except to the last few pillars which my miners were busy removing!

I can just imagine what a mess that would have been! Luckily, I caught it in time, so I've started doing what I should have done in the first place, channel it out from the upper level (this particular spot has only one z-level that's above the surface). And yes, I am trying to micromanage this so that my miners don't attempt suicide OR murder. :)

Bill

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Boneheaded move
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:56:44 am »

Miners won't channel the floor out from under each other, Toady fixed that particular mishap a while ago.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:45:48 pm »

The correct way to dig multi-z-level rooms is with ramps. Dig out the top (if you're below ground) and then designate ramps on the level below that. Digging the ramp removes the floor above and is mostly safe.

It's still possible to cause caveins this way (Digging a ramp under a tree doesn't remove the floor under the tree, for instance), but it is much, much safer and easier than with channels.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 02:04:22 pm »

If it doesn't result in dead Dwarves you're just not mistaking hard enough  ;)

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 02:22:29 pm »

There was another thread that advocated the use of stairways. (I think the keyword to search for is 'quarry'). Designate the whole area you want to clear with stairs (down for the top level, up for the lower, and up/down in between). Then simply channel out one layer at a time, starting at the top.  Stairs are their own support, so you don't need to worry about the removal order dropping unsupported floors on the worker's heads.
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 03:18:08 pm »

Miners won't channel the floor out from under each other, Toady fixed that particular mishap a while ago.

I'm still on 39...,(e) I think, and my mayor/miner dug the ground out from under the liason at least 4 times in 20 spaces just yesterday.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 04:40:31 pm »

I'm still on 39...,(e) I think, and my mayor/miner dug the ground out from under the liason at least 4 times in 20 spaces just yesterday.

They might dig under liasons, but the digging under other miners thing has been fixed for ages.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 07:34:55 pm »

I prefer the stairways method myself.  It takes longer, but it doesn't run the risk of having a tree suddenly grow just before your miner builds a ramp below it.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 10:15:26 pm »

They might dig under liasons, but the digging under other miners thing has been fixed for ages.

Although they can channel out the area surrounding the miner, which happens to me if they aren't of the same skill.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 09:12:07 am »

In that case, I don't have a clue what caused the first small cave-in. My miner was just channeling out one square overhangs (only extending one square from the solid ground), so he couldn't have been standing on a part that would give way. But he ended up falling over the edge and into a trench below, along with a small amount of debris. If another miner didn't cause it (by channeling out his standing place), I sure don't know what did.

But I DID notice that miners would constantly cancel these jobs because their pets would move onto that square. I had trouble getting some of them done, because the miner would always stop what he was doing (and then travel clear to the other side of the map for a different mining job). In fact, I never did get it accomplished with slow miners. But finally, my legendary miner came along and did it so quickly that the pets didn't have a chance to interfere.

The correct way to dig multi-z-level rooms is with ramps. Dig out the top (if you're below ground) and then designate ramps on the level below that. Digging the ramp removes the floor above and is mostly safe.

Well, I might try that, then. But it seems you have to mine the area three times (digging the above portion, creating the ramps, then removing the ramps), as opposed to the single-mining operation in channeling. It might be simpler just to micromanage the whole thing like I'm doing now.

Bill

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 09:24:49 am »

All the ramps in the middle of the hole will be auto removed so it just the edges left and they are quickle removed and if you do multilevel the ramps of the above level gets autoremoved as well.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?