Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40c Released  (Read 54964 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40c Released
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2008, 12:36:20 pm »

Actually I am having a fair bit of fun with this.

The barbarians suck though, and they arn't very well balanced.

Any chance part of the source code could be released?

Edit:  The number is that armies level.  Interesting.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2008, 12:40:57 pm »

Any chance part of the source code could be released?

If you look at the four links given by toady you'll notice that two of them are source code:
Here is definitive proof that forced timetables are bad for game development:

BC (win)
BC (win source)
BC (mac)
BC (mac source)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2008, 12:42:49 pm »

I feel fairly stupid now.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2008, 12:59:27 pm »

Toady, I think that you should update this game a few times. It would be a neat little spin-off. Or maybe it could pull a LCS and be updated by the community, since the source code is out there. It's like an addicting flash game in ASCII form.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2008, 04:16:54 pm »

Uh, it says Enter: next turn, I hit enter, nothing happens.  I can select territories by hitting the corresponding letter but can't seem to do anything.  I'm guessing this is something about me being dumb.

e: got it now

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2008, 11:12:18 pm »

Yeah, I didn't have time to think about balance at all -- ideally, you should leave the numbers the same (or change them) and balance it through the strength() function and the AI on the battlefield.  The strength() function is crap right now -- ranged attacks are much more powerful.

I'm in Bend, Oregon right now.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2008, 01:18:23 am »

You should visit Deschutes brewery and nab some beer then. ;)

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2008, 09:59:45 pm »

Wait, what's BC and how long will he develop it before going back to DF?

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2008, 08:33:27 am »

It's a quirky and strangely addictive new game - BC stands for Battle Champs. Basically, your little gnome dudes try to take over the world.

I believe it was made in a day, and reports are unclear as to whether devolpment will continue on it or not...
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2008, 10:35:30 am »

Wasn't it intended to provide source code so that people could help track down the cause of the partial-print/flickering issue?  I'd check it out, but my schedule is packed full this fall, and I wouldn't be able to concentrate on it at all.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2008, 10:50:01 am »

I looked a little bit at the code (my c++ skills are rusty, and I did a little bit of OpenGL... six years ago?)... and uh... can anybody tell me how to compile it under windows? I mean what to use at all? I'm only used to Linux nowadays...

cheers

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2008, 11:01:37 am »

Visual studio express 2005/2008. It's free from microsoft msdn. Big download though. Not sure if there are any dependencies other than what toady provided and the windows SDK (perhaps the curses lib?), as I haven't tried to build it myself yet.

Other than that, once VS express is installed you should just have to open the game.sln (so-called "solution") file and build.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2008, 12:24:34 pm »

okay thanks for the hint. I downloaded the 2008 version and in turn had to convert the solution...

well now I have a problem building it, it complains about fmod.h (and also a vld.h) missing. Downloaded fmod, copied some files around, tried to add it to the project, but doesn't seem to work (fmod.h is now in the source folder and added to the project (shows up in the solution explorer), but still complains about it missing when building).

Now I have no idea what I'm doing in VS express :) but first, did anybody actually try to compile this? Is the fmod.h really missing or am I just messing things up?

ps: would it be worth to open a new thread for BC ("help improve DF graphics engine") in the general forum? It's easy to overlook it here... just wonder why all the hacking experts don't seem to have replied here...

edit: alright at least found out how to add fmod.h by adding the path
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:44:01 pm by dreiche2 »

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2008, 02:44:48 pm »

sorry for double post, but editing repeatedly after hours have passed doesn't seem to make much sense.

So, I managed to also find vld.h ("visual leak detector"). However, it now is missing a glaux.lib, and I just cannot find it. I even installed the 2005 of VS because I think I read somewhere that it includes glaux.lib, but to no avail.

All I find when googling for glaux.lib is warnings not to use that library any more because it's old and buggy. Maybe it would be worthwhile to look into a replacement (I think I also read it doesn't exist for Linux)?

That's something I wanted to ask anyway, I remember using things like "GLUT" for OpenGL for window management, event handling etc. Is there a reason for not using it here, Toady? Would it be worth to look into that (or alternatives)?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2008, 03:40:52 pm »

OK, I decided to have a little look at it. I've been going through so many odd build errors at work that there's little I haven't seen by now...

fmod is not strictly necessary (there is no sound in BC atm anyway) so add NO_FMOD to preprocessor arguments (in VS, right click on project, expand C/C++, click preprocessor). Also, remove fmodvc.lib from Input in "linker" in the properties (below (C/C++). The visual leak detector vld.h is not strictly necessary (but seems neat, I'll have a look at it at work tomorrow as it might be useful for us), so that can be commented out.

As for glaux, it does not seem to be actually used as the include lines are commented out. The linker fails on them because of two pragma statements forcing it to look for the lib. Just search for glaux throughout the solution (ctrl-shift-f) and comment out every reference to it.

After these steps it builds and runs happily.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9