Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Don't you hate it  (Read 685 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Don't you hate it
« on: August 20, 2008, 06:59:12 pm »

..when you notice you've bitten off WAY more than you can chew?

Maybe 14 5 tile wide waterfalls in the lobby was a bad idea, especially seeing I have to move the water 5 z levels up. How many pumps do you think I need?

I don't even know how to power the infernal machine yet. Nor do I know whether the river actually outputs enough water

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't you hate it
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:25:12 pm »

I hate it when I bite off more than my computer can chew.  I usually don't play a fortress long enough to get to the point where I bite off more than I can chew.  I should try to remedy that sometime.

And I feel guilty for plugging my utility so much (or at all), but if you don't mind mild amounts of cheating, I would suggest you carry on with your plans, digging stuff out, building as many pumps as you need, and so on, and if it turns out that you don't have enough water to actually keep your channels, pumps, and waterfalls full, you can use For Each Tile to create some extra river sources or aquifer tiles that will continuously spawn extra water.  Make as many as you need to get enough water to keep everything flowing nicely.  That way, you know that all your work won't be wasted simply due to an unfortunately low rate of water per time period.