Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dunespattered: Desert Succession  (Read 8157 times)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dunespattered: Desert Succession
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2008, 09:05:32 am »

I like the tower idea. Good writing, too - though do try not to kill your minions, the replacements are inevitably even more useless than the ones you already have.

Also this gives me an idea for my turn - this is the perfect place to go all Ozymandwarf...

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2008, 10:48:40 am »

Huzzah! I did it! Unhappy dwarfes are the win!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After that short preludium I have to apologize again. Yes. I pooped up and forgot to continue Dunesplattered. Oddly enough, having lost any interest in playing DF I winded up raising a new fortress. That was last week; now I have another 200 dwarf fort. Gah!
Oh and..I finaly figured out why there was not a single migrant so far in my turn.

[POPULATION_CAP:20]

I´m a moron.

5th Hematite, 203
Filthy pack of peasantry! Moving into the fort by night, infiltrating my disciplined reign to bring back the ways of sloth! No! No, once more, I did not tolerate their bargain. They whined, they screamed, parched by the desert. Not a single drop of water they shall receive!
I´ve send them away. No dwarf.. ack, no, no breathing underling shall enter my fortress unless they proof themselv worthy enough to be accepted by me, thus they would receive our glorious king´s blessing. But fate struck me; none among I saw was to be acknowledged.
Oh Armok, grant me the strentgth to pursue my goal. My life, my honor, everything I will sacrefice to apllease you, in return I wish to not succumb to the madness of this desert.

On a sidenote: Ducim the recruit got up from his bed today. He might not be able to spare ever again, alas, his spine has been pirced, leaving him crippled. Being no excuse to ressign him from duty, he now stands guard at the entrance to the living quarters of the fort.

11th Hematite, 203
Human traders have completed their journey from beyond the desert to our „hole“ ,hoping for a profit. I´m curios. Perhaps they tag along something useful.

Among a huge pile of food, a few metal bars and armor that had been crafted not by dwarfen hands but in crude humanish manners they brought along one log of wood.
Those are days I wish I could return to my mountainhome and dwell there under our king´s domain for the rest of my life.

18th Hematite, 203
Our representant Olon, a legend among the dwarfes of this mudhole and the human traders came to a settlement. They will make a huge profit via selling stonecrafts, which are praised throughout the world due to their everlasting beauty. In return we get a few metal bars, alot of food – oh Armok, how I missed bitting into the bloody flesh of raw meat – and a pick. I have no use for it yet, though I belive one day I will find a porpuse for it in my fortress!

21st Hematite, 203

(If you can´t see the „g“, its in the bottom left corner next to the C)
Among the dunes in the west hostile movement has been spotted!
Urist, leader of our defence rushed to kill him, being the cowardice insect it is the goblin fled. He probably was a spy, searching for a weak point in our mudhole. I have to prepare in case a larger scale of enemys arrive.

2nd Malachite, 203

More koboldish thieves!
One was spotted by a woodcutter, who instantly mowed him down upon seeing the thread. Another one was killed by Urist.
Oh how I am in high spirits! Soon words  of first cassulties will arrive the kobolds and finaly our army will be respected by these foolish cowards!

Shortly after a goblin tried to infiltrate the fortress in hopes of riches. It was cut in half by the same woodcutter mentioned above. He now claims 4 kills; that´s more than the entire army.

14th malachite, 203

We need wood and iron, that was what I said to Olon. At least one competent dwarf among my lines! Indeed! Soon our smiths may fashion armor suitable for our army to protect them in battle. Oh I´m looking forward to that day. No longer protected by a bunch of armswielding peasants but a highly armored elite!

===
That´s the end of summer. Yes. A whole month nothing happened. Well, apart from the usual "THIEF!/SNATCHER" breakes.
And now I have to make a decission. Ye know, the savestate was in the middle of automn. Shall I complete automn anyway and pretend nothing happened? That would solve the problem of not having a fixed point to end your turn.
*edit:fixed a few typos and put pictures in their corrept place.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:37:25 pm by Liwjatan »

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2008, 04:25:25 pm »

Please don't link to the ImageShack 'my.php' pages, put images in img tags inside spoiler tags instead. Imageshack doesn't really care if their ads are infected with viruses, and there are people who have reported getting viruses off Imageshack ads.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2008, 12:41:32 pm »

somehow I read that whole post two or three times and didn't see the question at the end of it.  I must be going blind this week.  I'd say keep going through until Spring like normal if you're up for it.  If you'd like to pass it on we can get a hold of the next person.  Sorry for the delay in responding... I was waiting for your next update  :-[
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2008, 02:32:02 pm »

somehow I read that whole post two or three times and didn't see the question at the end of it.  I must be going blind this week.  I'd say keep going through until Spring like normal if you're up for it.  If you'd like to pass it on we can get a hold of the next person.  Sorry for the delay in responding... I was waiting for your next update  :-[

Then that´s what I´m gonna do! Play till spring to come back to the rules stated in the first post.

Oh hey,guess who´s back? Now with more hiding pictures in spoilertags action!
(Ill prob. edit my previous posts this evening) Done

=================
9th Limestone, 203
Finaly a few dwarfs arrived whom I grand shelder. Traders from my mountainhomes, they´d been traveling for a year and today they returned, perhaps with a message or two from thy blessed king Lorbam Likothed – may his name forever echo in the halls of armok! - complimenting my great work I have done here. Oh how I´d hope, no wish to receive either a helping hand from our mountainhomes or at least the message that I am to be relieved from my duty here.
I fear my dreams are in vain; too little have we accomplished. Pah! This is not the time to blame myself but to point out those who are guilty: the inhabitants of this mudhole! Barely able to work, complaining about thirst the whole day these lesser beings are a pain in my, thus in the fortress´s back. I´d get rid of them, alas my supporters among the small crowd inhabting this place is too small.
Anyway; the first level, the foundament of the great tower has been finished. I personaly took care that no unskilled dwarf may lay hand on the mosaic positioned in the centre of the tower. Blessed be thy name god of blood, Armok! No longer shall this place have not even a single relic of thy greatness. All hail the god of blood!

1st Sandstone, 203
Once more the legendary Olon emerged victorious. He drove the poor merchans from the mountainhomes into believing that currently it´s a well known and commended fashion to wear stoneearrings imported from the deserts and beyond, jumping over to the mountainhomes sooner or later. Even though they descended from my origin, I feel no pity for them, have they not been defeated in a fair and square game in the fields of trading?
However I won´t waste too much time bothering about such pointless deeds, it´s more important to me that with Olon´s victory we have gained possesion of an anvil with which we can finaly maintain a well armored army. We might have only a few bars of Iron and even fewer of steel, but it should be enough to equipt our small army. Glacies should be glad about this, being a smith he was not able to craft arms made out of finest steel since his arrival.

18 th Sandstone, 203
Today I spotted Glacies resting in his personal quarters, though I ordered him to fashion armor and weapons for our militia. Upon questioning his ancestors and gods alike, he replied although he wishes to attend to my commands, he simply cannot. He invited me in a most friendly way to inspect the metalstockpiles to further proof his innocence – I smelled a trap, betting he had the intention to lock me up in the warehouse, yet this accursion of criminality did not fulfill itself. Anyway, after inspecting the stockpile, I feel a heavy grasp closing in to my dwarfen pride.
One lonely Iron bar.

My words fail as I try to find a reason for this; perhaps they deserts are not rich enough to provide Iron. But the mountainhomes aren´t. Instead of importing steel, iron and charcoal, the three pillars of any military they leaned back and looked forward to some random caravan showing up and delivering ressources mentioned above.
There´s no time left to dwell in the mistakes of prior rulers. I have to correct their mistakes, thus not only ordering steel and iron from the mountainhomes but also giving command to start a great strip mining operation.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:15:47 pm by Liwjatan »

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2008, 07:41:43 pm »

Guess who´s back? The forum that is.
Oh dear, I´m having the strange sensation of deja-vu.

==================

3rd Moonstone, 203
Ustuth of house Thakilbash gave birth to her doughter Stukos while patrolling the perimeter around the great tower. Even though she had clear orders to not abadon her post and to defend the tower at all costs she headed inside, proclaiming that she´d give everyone a drink to celebrate the birth of her doughter. Not under my reign! As long as I am in charge noone should party anything at all. Alas, I am no fiend. Perhaps after the completion of the tower I will grant them access to the meeting hall, but only for 2 weeks top! There´s much to be done and quite frankly the tower is only the beginning.
Speaking of which, the tower is slowly progressing in it´s construction. The support of blocks is getting problematic due to the long way masons have to go in order bring a lumb of ruck, big enough to be fashioned into a block to their workshops. Threatening every dwarf that I personaly would remove the beds in every room – of course not in mine – if they do not speed up the construction. That owe to do the trick, otherwise I am forced to take more drastic actions. Maybe an public execution. Or locking the doors to the foodstorage for several weeks.

5th Moostone, 203
Dear diary; no, personal log. A dwarf of importance  like me should not be troubled with trivia alike they are written down in a diary. My writtings are of true significance and later generations shall learn from them about the story of dunesplattered, success of the chosen one, Liwjatan the great! I will form the history of this hole, soon to be labled the mightiest fortress in all spheres!  I am supreme among dwarfhood, a jewel in a layer of stone, bright as one of the kings.Oh I already see the satues fashioned in my glory, decorated with saphires and diamonds, placed in the hall of heros.
On a sidenote. One of ém lesser ones went crazy today and took over a masons workshop. By thy name of Armok, I don´t care about your art, unless it displays blessed kings of generations long gone or myself. Especially a mason. He is supposed to chissel blocks. What he is not supposed to do is going crazy and creating something entirely useless. Where he gets his creative influence from is beyond me, becouse crafting blocks out of rocks is a numbing but highly appriciated occupation however attending to it is not known to be  inspriring at any means.

22th Moonstone, 203
A mason creates an armor stand. That is understandable for me. But why did he use leather and precious metal? I am done trying to figure out the intentions of those insane dwarfs and simply put them in the case of not bothering myself with pointless trivia. He´s back to his assignment of creating rock blocks much to my pleasure. His so called artifact will be placed in my bedroom, for I am the chosen leader of Dunesplattered, gifted by the blessings of the great Lorbam Likothed, king of dwarfkind and all mountains and my quarters should represent my rank in Armok´s great plans.

27th Moonstone, 203
To arms!
Invaders have come to destroy the great tower!
Charge into battly you great heros of Dunesplattered, never to be forgotton that you gave your life for the fortress!

5th Opal, 203

The battle is over. Much blood has been drawn, of enemies, but of bretheren as well. Now our corridors are filled with the corpses and soon a swarm of flies will feast upon our fallen.

Our army, may they find eternal rest in the hall of heros engaged the enemy, screamed their battlecries, hoping that Armok would grant them the strength to win this battle in the name of the fortress. But for nought it seems. The goblins, cowardish and without any honor brought along their most vicious weapons; crossbows. Without any knowledge what would happen, our defenders rushed into battle, but were shot where they stood.

Without any other obstacle, the goblins proceeded deeper into the fortress, killing anyone they came across. In their desperations, fisherdwarfs and masons swung their tools without any greater effect. Many fled behind doors, barricading them to rescue their lifes, alas, their cowardish was not meant to succeed. In shame they died, unlike the brave and noble dwarfs that made their ultimate sacrefice and engaged the fiendish invaders in battle.
Everything seemed lost.
But then something odd happened. I may only guess, but I believe what coused the turn of changes. Imbued by the essence of Armok - oh praised be his name – every dog rushed at the invaders, ripping apart legs and arms of everyone they could get hold off.
A heavy toll has been paid to defend this hole. Among our fallen are fourteen and several wounded, in return the goblins lost only a few. Mainly to blame are the inhabitants of this fortress, refusing to follow my orders and prior rulers, who were incapable of creating a defence.. To be honest they deserved it.

12th Obsidian, 203
Born in stone
Covered in stone
Rest eternily
Sons of Armok.

15th Obsidian, 203
With the last funeral finished, I have reached a conclusion.
At the current state of defense, it is way too insecure for me to remain in this hole in the ground. Surely our glorious king will see it the same way and grand me shelter untill it is safe to return. I´ve already taken care of preperations; my two companions are already stashing supplies in the carriage with which I traveled to this damned place. I may not have been able to finish the great tower, but I´m sure that I will return one day and continue where I left off.

==================

Fortress´s status at the end of my turn:

That ambush sure was fun!It killed babys that lived for.. 20 days max. and a bunch of other useless dwarfs. I could have savescummed but meh..I didnt felt like it.However it ruined my plan to let my incorparal incernation of myself  be kicked out of the fortress by a revolt.So who´s turn next?

Oh boy. Now to uploading the save and fixing my posts. Screw that. I´ll wait a few days.Perhaps the problem fixes itself.
File : http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=626
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:05:48 pm by Liwjatan »

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2008, 09:52:21 am »

I believe I'm next in line. Seems you lost quite a few dwarfs on your turn...

I'll have to hope I don't lose everyone to a tantrum spiral as soon as I start the game up.

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2008, 10:42:44 am »

Oh no worriers.Basicly they were all going happy/content for a few months,due to me locking the dinning hall,which created a "lack of chairs"-unhappy thought and the ambush pushed them down tu unhappy.IF you want to avoid the tantrum spiral open the doors to the fine dinning hall and all should go from unhappy to ecstatic in a few weeks.Which is not recommended becouse tanrum spirals are fun for the whole family!

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2008, 07:10:09 pm »

1st Granite.

Well, it seems that after ordering the construction of some kind of huge structure right outside our door and losing a large number of dwarfs to a goblin ambush, the prior leader has just upped and left. I have taken command of the fortress for the moment, despite the state that it's in. There are several points that I feel need to be addressed:
  • We have a defensive island. It's a good start, but it seems the designer forgot they were building a fortress half way through and decided to plonk a little house on it. As it would be a lot of effort to clear it away and would probably upset the occupant if I destroyed it, I'll have to see if I can build some proper fortifications around it, or move the entrance elsewhere.
  • There's a pretty structure built out of well formed blocks, but nobody's managed to build any kind of fortifications, roads, walls or even a bridge across the main river. The traders still have to sit in a depot made of rough stone.
  • The fort's layout isn't at the height of efficiency. There doesn't seem to be any real careful layout. Or nearly enough proper bedrooms, for that matter. There's going to have to be a fair bit of rearranging.
  • If we had a standing army, we don't have one any more. Some more recruits are going to need to be trained.

To start off with, I'll organize what jobs everyone is doing. We don't really need 3 fisherdwarfs, or a herbalist when we have about 500 seeds. I'll designate a couple or areas for mining out as well, as a basis to better organizing the fortress.

7th Granite.

Our stonecrafter has been possessed. Hopefully she won't want any rough gems, as we don't seem to have any. We don't have any leather as well, but given the number of dogs around, that shouldn't be a problem.

That reminds me: set up a butchery. I can't stand having these animals wandering around everywhere, and there's not nearly enough wood around to make cages at the moment.

15th Granite.

Oh hooray.

Talking about useless things, the elves just turned up. Hopefully they'll have some wood or cloth, but I mainly expect mountains of pointless weapons, useless clothing and weak booze. But I can hope.

26th Granite.

As expected, the elves came with 3 bits of wood and nothing else of value. I traded for the wood in exchange for as many stone trinkets as they could carry. Hopefully the humans will come with something a little better.

14th Slate.

Migrants! Thus we begin to rebuild the population of Dunesplattered.

1 Clothier
1 Cook
6 Peasants
1 Lye maker
1 woodworker
1 Carpenter
1 Bowyer
1 Herbalist
2 Children
1 Furnace operator
1 Woodcrafter
1 Metalsmith
1 Engraver
1 Armorer
1 Bone carver
1 Craftsdwarf
and 1 Brewer

Giving a total of 23 new dwarfs, and a Dunesplattered a total population of 47. I had built and designated a meeting area off of one of the many statues we have in storage for them to all gather in, and adjusted their jobs to make them a little more useful.

4th Felsite.

Work on the new entrance and proper trade depot is complete. Our first champion is also trained, although it's only in wrestling, as we lack the armor for me to let them comfortably practice with proper weapons yet. I'll melt down what little goblin junk we have lying around, and possibly some of the nickel ore we dug up during recent excavations.

22nd Felsite.

It's taking a long time for anything to be dug out currently. This is probably due to the huge amount of mining I asked to be done for project 'Get some proper tombs made'. I stumbled across our current cemetery and was rather alarmed to find it consisted of nothing much more than a room with a wall lined with coffins. I designated a number of reasonably sized rooms to be dug out deep below the desert, and I shall decorate them with some of the statues we have lying around in the stockpile.

We do seem to have a lot of statues lying around. I'm really not sure why.

12th Hematite.

It seems that the Human caravan has been sighted on the horizon. What brings them all the way out here is beyond me, but I'm sure we'll be able to get something decent out of them as they've come with wagons. Something better than the elves, at least. I'll have the mountains of goblin clothes we have lying around sent to the trade depot. It may be utter junk to us, but I hear that the humans love narrow cave spider silk socks.

14th Hematite.

One of our stone masons got taken by a fey mood. Also, I really need to do something about the vast number of dogs that just seem to stand in the corridor there. I ordered an area to be dug out for a butchery, but project 'Dig some proper tombs' is taking up all the miners.

28th Hematite.

The stonemason finally finished his artifact, a Schist armor stand. I'm sure we had something similar a year or two ago...

The traders have also made it to the trade depot, but it's taking quite a long time to haul all the bits of narrow clothing to it. I'll have to have some more bins made.

9th Malachite.

Trading has been done. I had all the metal bars, wood, cloth, leather and meat the traders had on them purchased in exchange for a mountain of useless clothing and stone crafts. When the Guild representative finally manages to get the chance to have his meeting, I'll have much the same stuff brought next year.

26th Malachite.

All the mining work has nearly been finished. The butchery and tanners workshop is built, space for the tombs has been mined out and now simply need smoothing, and some housing space is underway. A proper bridge has also almost been finished crossing the river.

24th Galena.

The fort has settled into a fairly stable state. Various constructions are underway, and the various rooms that have been dug out are being smoothed and furnished. I half expect a goblin ambush to show up and mess everything up.

I've also had the bar/block stockpile moved indoors, and begun work on using some of the spare stone to make the local area look a little better.

10th Limestone.

The seasons are flying past. The dwarfen caravan has just been sighted on the horizon, hopefully with plenty of useful goods. Progress with constructions is currently being slowed by our lack of suitably skilled engravers, as I wait for the large tomb area I've mined out to be smoothed down.

16th Limestone.

Trading went fairly well. The amount of stuff that they brought was a little disappointing, which may be in part due to the fact that some of the stuff consisted of native platinum blocks and lead cages. I purchased all the wood, metal and meat that they had, and asked for much the same, along with a little cloth and leather, for next year.

23rd Limestone.

Glacies has just come over all quiet and run off to the metalsmithing forge. Wonder what he'll cook up.

Also, a lot of people seem to be getting depressed over not having proper rooms lately. I do wish those stonemasons and carpenters would hurry up and build all the coffers, doors and beds these rooms need.

8th Sandstone.

Very pretty, but not really a practical weapon. Perhaps it can be used in a weapon trap at some point in the future, but I'm not really a traps person.

20 Sandstone.

More migrants!

1 Armorer
1 Engraver
1 Ranger
2 Peasants
1 Mason
1 Bone carver
1 Thresher

I converted all of them into masons due to my need for smoothing and blocks, aside from the thresher, who I've told to farm. Our population now stands at 55. My culling of all these irritating animals has also reduced their population to 21. The hallways are now filled with dwarfs, not puppies.

8th Timber.

After trying to sort out the mountains of paperwork that's been building up, I noticed that Olon has begun calling herself the Mayor and has left a list of demands for a fancier room and office. She also came in and told me to not export any clear glass items. This shouldn't be a problem, as we don't have any.

13th Timber.

Success! There are no animals left wandering the hallways aside from those I couldn't persuade their owners to give up, that distressing wolf in Glacies bedroom, the toad and squirrel which don't have any decent meat on them anyway and a single pair of breeding dogs. No longer will I have to deal with puppies swarming the corridors.

4th Moonstone.

Only half of the tomb area has so far been smoothed, despite the length of time I have been waiting for it to be done. I was hoping to have a tomb for every legendary dwarf in the fortress, but at this rate it seems unlikely. I have assigned one for myself already, however. I shall have it's walls engraved at the end of my reign to mark my achievements.

17th Moonstone.

A goblin snatcher and a kolobod thief interrupted the construction of beautification project. I feel that time may be limited before I am forced to give up my reign, and every delay is costly. The fact that most of the stonemasons are already tied up smoothing the tombs or building bedroom furniture only adds to my concerns. But I will get this project finished, even if I have to focus every dwarf in the fort on it.

28th Moonstone.

Curses! I knew that this peace was too good to be true. I just hope that the champions will be able to take them unarmored and unarmed.

Later that day.

Success! It seems I have nothing to fear from goblin ambushes, as my army of half-naked wrestlers can fend off such a threat. I'll keep them by the entrance for now, in case any more goblins turn up.

15th Opal.

I have managed to furnish enough of the tombs to house myself and the legendary dwarfs of this fortress. The beautification project is not looking quite as good, however, with only half of it complete. Another problem that has presented itself is the lack of barrels, as they have all been used to hold food, leaving us with very little to hold booze. I've ordered some more to be made, and split the stockpiles into one of drink and one of food, restricting the number of barrels in the food stockpile, to help resolve the problem.

5th Obsidian.

We now have barrels for drink, despite a sudden lack of wood. The project is nearly 7/10ths done, but a lack of blocks is beginning to become a problem, as most masons workshops are tied up furnishing the spare tombs.

1st Granite.

It seems spring has arrived. I failed to complete my project before the start of the new year, but the attempt at least will hopefully remain. The project has tired me, thus I shall pass on the rule to the next person who wishes to try and control this place. Evidently I am not suitable to be the ruler of Dunesplattered anymore, considering I am unable to complete projects in a timely manner.

Save.
Map.

And there you have it. The save is there for the next person in line, and there's a map if anyone what's to take a look at the fort in it's current state.

rucksackjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2008, 06:18:29 pm »

I'd like to sign up, if possible. Could use a PM on my turn.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2008, 06:48:43 am »

Cool stuff. Looks like there's a fair amount going on with odd constructions and extravagant tombs.

I think katsuun is up next...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]