Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dunespattered: Desert Succession  (Read 8161 times)

Owie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently, going swimming in a wine cask is a bad idea.
   My head is pounding. My clothes have all been dyed red with the Duchess’s personal reserve. Everything reeks of fermented this and distilled that. I’m not getting up today.
   You know, it’s awful hot in here.

Granite 7
--------
   Okay. Okay. Don’t panic. Panic will not help me. Just stay calm and try to make sense of the situation. Let’s survey the area

OKAY.
   Don’t panic. It’s just a little desert. A hot, arid, little desert. A hot, arid, vast-beyond-comparison little desert filled with things that probably want !!Dwarf Liver!! for breakfast. Maybe I should sit dow--

“Expedition leader?”

PANIC TIME IS NOW BYE BYE.

Granite 11
---------
   Wonderful. It would seem that, in my drunken stupor, I signed up to lead an expedition to start a fortress in the middle of a desert. Fun.
   After trying to run away for four hours, am escape hindered only by my being lying down at the time, I decided to take responsibility for my actions by immediately fobbing the job of expedition leader off on one of the seven dwarves who accompanied me. In my new, decidedly more cozy position as Head Chief Managerial Inspector of the Division of Planning for the Ordering of the  Excavation and Furnishing of Fortresses in Hot, Sandy Areas, I decided to survey what the crew had done while I had been hiding

First, an aborted moat. No connection to the river. No idea why.

Now you can have your fluids drained even faster! LAMPREY CO, FOR ALL YOUR PAINFUL DEATH NEEDS.
   I think we’ll need to train the dogs we brought or assign them to an owner to keep them out of the river.

Let’s see how the fort proper is going.

This is getting filled with traps. Oh lord, is it ever. I’m almost giggling in anticipation.

After a bit of a walk, I arrive at the main part of the fort. It would seem we’ve zoned a workman’s hall (1) right on the central corridor, along with a food stockpile (2) in a most inconvenient place. We’ll have to put the farms nearby to avoid too much of a walk. In addition, there are plans for a dining hall (3), lumber stockpile (4), and eight small bedrooms (5).
   I’ll be damned if I know how to get any stone in the middle of the desert, but the miners have already begun chiseling away on a lower level. The rest are busy hauling the food inside. If this keeps up, we may have an actual shot.

In other news, I still have a hangover.

NOTE: I'll go looking for magma, but I don't think so.
ADDITIONAL NOTE: Sorry about the quality of the writing. I've been off recently.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:20:50 pm by Owie »
Yaha!

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile

Are we going to do the usual "nickname a dwarf as xth overseer/emperor/ruler/etc." to represent ourselves within the game?(Without the death-penalty of loosing one´s turn)

Also,do ye mind posting your embark-settings in a *spoiler tag - not to ruin the fun of rulers to come.

Btw. awesome MS paint-skills you´re showing off :3

Owie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can name a dwarf after yourself if you wish. I'm going to pretend to be a mysterious eighth dwarf just off-camera at all times.

As for my embark settings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I try very hard to create paint files that are both functional and aesthetically pleasing. I call this one "Big Ol' Red Numbers in Repose".
Yaha!

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sign me up.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I try very hard to create paint files that are both functional and aesthetically pleasing. I call this one "Big Ol' Red Numbers in Repose".

I appreciate the subtle contexts within the textures that speak not only of the conflict within modern contemporary society but also it's vibrant richness.

Owie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, this game was thrown together without much planning, and circumstances have arisen that have made finishing my turn in a timely manner difficult. You guys can continue on if you want, but I'm thinking of letting this die. Here's the save if you want it.

I'm really sorry, guys. I just didn't think before creating this. I have committed the cardinal sin of succession games. It's not likely I'll show my face around here for some time.
Yaha!

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile

I will try it... Hope I don't screw it up Who am I kidding? You  can't screw this up anymore than it already is!

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I say we take this fortress and turn it in to a MONSTER. Looks like there's enough interest to keep it going, anyway.

If people want it to die, then let's not just let it fade away - let's absolutely massacre it and get all the inhabitants killed in an unnecessarily thorough way.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile

I'm technically next, but you guys can skip me.  It's not a good sign when the creator of the game craps out on it.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dunespattered: Desert Succession
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 12:11:47 am »

I will try it... Hope I don't screw it up Who am I kidding? You  can't screw this up anymore than it already is!

Huh?  Looks fine to me.  There's a small problem with the moat, but nothing that can't be fixed with a little carpentry.  Let's go with it!
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 05:04:32 pm »

All right... so I know I'm not involved in the list at all, but I'm always sad to see a succession fort die (which means these forums make me sad fairly often) so I'm going to take this save, do a year, and try and resurrect this fort.  If it dies again, I'll let it go, but I'll try to take over ownership of the thread and PM people to let them know what's going on.  I'm going to get going on this turn and post in a little bit.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 08:26:50 pm »

Ok let's see if this will happen.  I finished the year.  Here's the report:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's a map of the fort so far: Link!

And here's the save:  Link!

Next up is Glacies!  As is tradition with succession games, feel free to do with the fort what you will!  I just wanted to get some basics going.

[edit: Pictures are good enough like this. I could make it fancier, but I've put too much time into this already...]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:54:43 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 08:44:38 pm »

..there´s nothing wrong with the pictures,but you forgot a "]". The actual code is [ img] [/img] (without the empty space...curse you,forum code,curse youuuu), your´s just [img xXx [/img]

Swell, I´m glad to see this succession game is up and running again.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 08:55:35 pm »

Thanks!  I was getting the url and img tags confused...

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 06:08:10 am »

I'm done up to autumn. Somehow, I doubt you guys are gonna like what I've done.  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5