Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dunespattered: Desert Succession  (Read 8155 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dunespattered: Desert Succession
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2008, 04:43:34 pm »

Since this will hopefully be the first post on page 4 (for me anyway) and that'll be easier to find, I'm reposting the list here.  This will be the one that I update.

1. Owie Bluerobin427 (taken by me)
2. Dadamh (passed)
3. Glacies (done)
4. Beardless (passed)
5. EchoP (passed)
6. Kazindir (passed)
7. Liwjatan (current)
8. NTheGreat
9. Katsuun
10. Jools (PM on turn)
11. Balor Kartain
12. Eita
13. Madcat
14. illiterate
15. Glacies
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:01:55 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2008, 08:35:01 am »

I'm sorry but I'm not going to be able to complete my turn wthin a reasonable timeframe. :(

Last night my harddrive died, or at least thats what  think happens as booting up the machine stops after finding no disks to boot from.  :'(

So I'll have to pass to the next person with the pervious save and bow out, at least utnil I get it fixed. I'm at work now and while they are fine with the odd bit of forum browsing I suspect actually playing games would not go down well!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2008, 08:38:55 am »

I'll sign up for another turn of sun-touched madness if everyone keeps bowing out of this one.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2008, 05:02:30 pm »

All right, I sent a message to Liwjatan and added you to the bottom of the list Glacies!  Hopefully someone else will take a turn before then though...
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2008, 09:22:31 pm »

I certainly hope so. Maybe by then you guys will have ripped down my sun palace so I can start over from scratch.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2008, 03:22:58 pm »

I'll give him a week (until next Tuesday, the 7th) to respond and then move on. 

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 08:00:52 pm »

alrighty..
Thus i return from the pit of malice,the dreaded hole of..not wanting to play Dwarf Fortress. Anyway..I´ll start my turn somewhre ´bout tomorrow(If I don´t get a hangover).

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2008, 03:19:16 pm »

Project:continue playing DF is a go!

Okay,time to get this started.Boosting my motivation to play, getting ready towrite some nifty RP, even though it´s in english, but improving your skills in any certain language can´t be wrong. Put together a pre-stroy for my dwarf, a few personality traits and after reading the stroys of previous rulers a "to-do" list, not to mention a plan for some crazy fortress-breaking secret project.

A virgin-version of DF, more precisely .40a alike set in the first post..oh hey,the intro!Gotta edit my init,however that´ll can wait until after my first impressions, can´t allow myself to let my co-players wait too long.Everything is ready; DF is set up and a hot,steamy cup of delicious coffee stands right next to me. Skipping the intro, have seen it often enough. Oh,what misterys..and miseries await me in Dunesplattered?The tension,i can´t bare to... oh hey wait,theres no "continue playing"-option in the menu. Mhh..perhaps i have to create a new world first..

Nope,didn´t help
Neither did changing the version
Nor renaming
Re-downloading it from DF-F did nothing.
Doing that again prooved to be in vain.

In a nutshell; I cannot load Glaciers savefile.I dunno why.
Can somebody confirm my problems?

*Same problems did not occour in my first DF-succession game Inod Shash.But then again i formated in between this and mentioned game.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2008, 05:02:44 pm »

Works for me in 40d. Did you rename the folder to "region1"?

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2008, 05:12:39 pm »

First I tried to load the savestate with the original name of the folder "dunespatered_1",then "region2" in a df-version with 1 created world and after your post I attempted to solve my problem via naming the folder "region1" with no other saved game;exception:the "current"-folder remained,which is empty.

In my efforts I used .40d;both a "virgin"-version without any alteration whatsoever,except for copying the file into the correct folder and my everyday-version with altered ini and several other saved fortresses.

I´m seriously confused why I´m not even able to see the save state.

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2008, 09:54:52 am »

As I was considering skipping my turn, I tried a last attempt..on my old 1.8 ghz pc. I´d say "guess what happened?" but you probably already know what happened.

Expect my first "real" update this evening.

(Yes this is actually a placeholder)

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2008, 07:43:46 pm »

Wanna know something? Screw that placeholder!
=================

19th Limestone, 202
All hail Kind Lorbam Likothed, wise and gran magistrate of Zimdomas, the crested Guilds; In thy name I, chosen by his magnificend delight Lorbam the great himself had been sent to the outpost, merely known as „Dunesplattered“ to act -  no, no false shame – to to fullfill thy superb orders and wishes of our glorious leader Lorbam Likothed!

My throat might be dry;
my skin might flake from my flesh;
But the honor to operate in Armok´s chosen one smoothes my pain.

Yesterday they told me we were close to „Dunesplattered“; might I today spot a glimse of what is awaiting me? Incompetence if I judge about the behaviour and organisation of my companions! If it weren´t for the lesser peasents children, we would have arrived several weeks ago! Drinking from our rare support of booze, resting in the dune´s shadows, alike they are not used to real work .. they are no good. Ah, I almost squee in excitement, will they find no place to rest under my regent. I have made plans to transver them immediatly back to the mountainhomes after my arrival. It does not matter to me if they die of thirst. Filthy and worthless, such dwarfs – oh how it shudders my very core to call those beings dwarfs – will not be needed. By thy name of our beloved leader, discpline are to become Dunesplattereds new characteristica! How many lesser dwarfs will succumb to their exhastion is only of little interest to me. I shall..

What was that? Movement, sudden excitement raises quickly...

20th Limestone, 202
As I looked outside the window of my carriage – yesterday, after hearing several thirsty mouths getting excitlingly screaming that they arrived their destiny – I was hoping to see some sort of glorious fortress build for eternity but for nought; a hole in the desert with a small hut above ground is everything to be seen. I´m dissappointed to say the least. Now, secluted from those incompetent morons that inhabit this hole a first glimse of doubt awakes inside me; frustration and rage towards the king i praised! He´s trying to get rid of me, fearing that I, Liwjatan could seize his power due to my superior intelect! Oh how he shall rue, rue to have sent me to this hole. Rue I say!

But wait!

A jester, a fool I must call myself; such thoughts of rebellion are foolish endeavour. He did not send me to distract me, to tangle my senses and to keep me away from his court. No, far from it. How could I imagine such pointless charge? There´s only one way to explain why I am here, that is; only I could be trusted with this important task to lead this ..this.. hole in the ground to glory and weatlh!

25th Limestone, 202
Checking through my predeccesor´s notes I came to a shocking conclusion; among the filth that abuses necessary space in this hole there´s no miner. None. By definition. Not a single one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How they digg out this hole is beyond me; it was probably already carved by natural events before anydwarf claimed this place as their´s. Or is that the sore reason the fortress was created? Due to a hole in the ground in the middle of nowhere? Perhaps the founders of „Dunesplattered“ are escaped convicts. I´ll make sure to stay away from those lunatics...

I´m gonna order the next dwarf that bypasses me to dig out two storage-areas, even if he has to do it with his bare hands!

26th Limestone, 202
Kobolds!

Where´s the military to protect me?
Oh wait.
We don´t have any.
Nor any other defenses to speak of. No moat, no wall, or traps. Those that were installed quite some time ago look alike they won´t work in the moment they are needed.
What were those former rulers thinking? A fortress´s greatest representant is their army. No wonder the king sent me; the current situation is most desperate. Literaly from dust I have to raise a powerful army that can match any enemy.

As I order some peasants to go out and hunt them down a goblin pops up out of nowhere. I´ve been here for 6 days and we´ve been under attack twice. A great start I admit. Perhaps now the rest will understand why discipline is so important. But then again they´re bussy partying.

28th Limestone, 202
I´ve been informed that one of the planters refused to plant seeds; appearantly, halfway through embeding the hatchling into the soil, he sprung up, screamed something about needing a wooden log and headed deeper into the fortress.  Is it too late to abadon this mess and head back to the mountainhomes?

1st Sandstone, 202
After causing so much trouble, mentioned dwarf, you know that moody one emerged from his workshop with this in his hand:

A puzzlebox.
I told him to get back to the fields and plant some crops.

==========
God damn ... it took effin forever yet finaly I emerge victorious! Victorious, indeed, I´ve defeated the monsters, who were inheritated by my nemesis „ye oldé PC“... Yes, I´m referring to the really crappy frame-rate I´m getting on that abomination of an old PC. Should´ve formated it before, now it´s kinda too late for that. Yes, I know, the upgrade is kinda short, just the first month. But it´s getting kinda late and I´m running out of "decent-writing"-juice.
Oh and don´t be confused ´bout the 100FPS shown.They´ve been all made during a pause. Normaly I´m at ~10-12 frames.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:40:38 pm by Liwjatan »

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2008, 07:44:59 pm »

5th Sandstone, 202
I´ve come to a conclusion; well, actually, two.
First, regarding the military situation. A fortress without it´s own defense is to be remembered in shame, alas, I do not wish to be written down in our great dwarfen history as the one that failed to defend a hole in the desert. Hence I will draft Dwarfs left and rigt, just like I please, preferable those that fancy themself as „peasants“ - might they archieve a higher rank of being via sacrefieing their uneeded blood in battle. Feh, they should be glad I allow those persky lesser dwarfs to show their worth in thy face of Armok instead of lingering around the whole day.
Secondly, this fortress shall no longer be a hole in the desert; I personaly pledge myself to construction a keep above ground. In the centre of it all, a gigantic tower to proof the dwarfen´s superiority above anything else! Not a hut of some predecessor, such disgrace I will burry under the shadows of my keep.

27th Sandstone, 202
Finaly!
Those lazy rotten booze-thieves are moving, carrying out my orders. The horde of stoneworkers ist producing blocks on mass, meanwhile the rest carriers stones and blocks to their destination. Oh, of course, it only took me several days to force them into working for my goal. However, after warning them to be enlisted into the army they gave up their resistance. I have absoloutly no clue why any dwarf would deny to die in thy name of the king...probably becouse the current army is training with sharpened baldes and no armor. Go figure.

11th Timber, 202
Some random dwarf told me that he is finished bargaining with the traders; well, one might hope that my predecessor choose wisely in foresight and ordered armor and weaponry, but such hope is for nought. Verything he ordered is a few wooden logs.
Yes.
A few.
Not a whole bunch, so the next caravan is filled with nothing but wood.
A few.

I´m about to question the sanity of former rulers, yet they already proofed me otherwise. One pick, that´s all they hoped they will need to carve out a fortress of true greatness. Lesser beings I say, Pfeh! Not even capable of creating one little thing of creat importence, heck, not even capable of trading for one! Truly that is one of the reason this place needs an iron fist to lead it.

21th Timber, 202
Success!

Our fortress is now guarded by a rag-tag army in civilian cloths. And it took almost no casulties; except for Ducin whatshisname. Such weaklinglish behaviour is not tolerated; not by me nor by Armok himself. He shall perish as the first sacrefice to the great tower! That should boost moral to an unknown high.

27th Moonstone, 202
Nothing worthy enough to be mentioned happened.
One kobold got chased away by a fishcleaner. Armok knows why a darn fishcleaner attains to his profession in a freaking desert. Anyway; the construction of the great tower has begun. It´s foundation is almost finished.

7th Obsidian, 202

I guess it was only a matter of time. I have no regrets regarding the dwarf´s death. If he´d been worthy enough his sparringpartner would´ve been dead now instead of him! Oh, let this be a warning to all of ye, inhabitants of „Dunesplattered“ , this is only one among many who´s live will be taken to attain a reputation of a powerful fortress which principles are discipline and the acceptance of death!

9th Obsidian, 202

Dangnabit!
I don´t care how or why; But a kobold inside our fortress?
A kobold?
Of all those great dangers lurking outside the boundaries of the desert one single kobolds makes it inside the fortress? A wimpy lil´ thing, barely able to held up it´s own head?
That does it.
Anyone who´s still capable of moving is send to the surface, ordered to guard the entrance. May that be a lesson to them!

15th Obsidian, 202
Oh diary, permit me to express my emotions with a sigh. You, unlike all the other´s in this group of madmen understands me. I fear, yes, indeed, I fear of my own sanity if I look among the dwarfes I am forced to share my housing. Nothing similiar happened back in the mountainhomes, ah how I miss ye my oldé home. Upon my arrival it occoured to me as a rare occassion, not a repeating event.  I sorely hope to kiss once again the stones of my great home, to survive this madness unharmed. But i fear my hope´s are in vain.
One of the inhabitants of „Dunesplattered“ went moody – I prefer the term crazy – and withdrawed from society to work on his great project. There has to be something about this desert that drives these inferior dwarfs insane..

19th Obsidian, 202

He made a cabinet.
Oh well.
My quarters needed some decent furnishing anyway.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:44:02 pm by Liwjatan »

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2008, 06:56:38 pm »

First of all sorry for missing yesterdays update; I just didn´t feel like writing.
Next in the agenda; feedback is desired. Seriously. Give me some D:<
Anyway;hers spring. Kinda short.
==================
10th Granite, 203
Loud sounds of lougher, screams and grunts of joy; What a waste of precious time. Partying dwarfes, their labour could be spent more efficently, for examble carving out blocks, to be used in the great tower. Thus I personaly forbid any party of any kind unless the great tower is finished. No longer shall the dining hall be used for resting one´s, wasting space and time.
Many dwarfs ain´t realicing what happened; the doors to the meeting halls were locked, forbidding any access.
Feh, already I can imagine the first persky peasents storming to my office, demanding an explanation of some sort, yet their jorunay will be in vain. I don´t need to reason myself; merely I act in thy name of our King Lorbam Likothed, chosen by Armok himself.

They all should be grateful instead of coursing my name!
A hard laboring dwarf does not realice how heavy their bonez had become. They enjoy their work, hence have no need for chatter or resting!

15th Granite, 203
Elves? In our terretory?

18th Granite, 203
Such treachery! Such misbehaviour!
The evles are here to trade?
Dwarfes and elves trading?
Madness I say! Never had I encountered such discredit since my birth!
I will not tolerate this behaviour, no! Rob everything from the elves, no matter if we need it or not!

24 Felsite, 203

A loud rumble of collapsing boulders woke me today. Unfortunally, in the occouring disaster, not a single dwarf was killed. What a pity; another corpse to be burried would have forced the rest to work more carefully insead of doing whatever they want to.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:45:54 pm by Liwjatan »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2008, 08:25:14 am »

Ahh! Don't kill all the dwarves!  Although... meh as long as you leave one we can always get more immigrants ;D .  Also, nice keep you've got going there.  Also, nice picture that it makes in my head.  Just out for a stroll in the middle of the desert (...why?) and all of a sudden there's a freaking tower rising out of the sand.  It'll be awesome to see what this place looks like when you're done with it.  Make sure you upload the map at the end of the year to the DFMA!  Finally, nice storytelling.  I've forgotten what it was like since I was there, but I could have sworn we had more than one miner...  hmm oh well. Maybe something happened to him and I forgot.  Nice job, keep it up! (and sorry I haven't posted more often this week... midterms and lab work devoured my life, plus the forums were down for part of it, which I'm sure you noticed. )
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5