Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dunespattered: Desert Succession  (Read 8156 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dunespattered: Desert Succession
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 07:33:49 am »

Haha as of now I'm just excited you're playing.  Although, that will probably change once I find out how you mangled our poor 5 dwarves and their hovel under the sand...
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Madcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 10:16:20 am »

Since the other game I'm in is running slow, please sign me up for this one.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 05:06:25 pm »

Mmk.  Since I can't edit the initial post I'll make one here to keep track of turns.

1. Owie (taken by me)
2. Dadamh (skipped)
3. Glacies (current)
4. Beardless
5. EchoP
6. Kazindir (PM on turn)
7. Liwijatan
8. NTheGreat
9. Katsuun
10. Jools (PM on turn)
11. Balor Kartain
12. Eita
13. Madcat
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:29:57 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 09:09:57 pm »

Cross me off the list.  :(

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008, 11:08:40 am »

Glacies is apparently still working on his turn.  Stay tuned and don't change that dial!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 11:12:25 am »

1st of granite

MY head hurts. This morning, I came to in a big stone room and was informed that I was to lead this place. Apparently there are a bunch of midgits living under the sand. Let's just pop topside and see what's up.

Oh fuck, oh fuck, we're trapped. Hmm. Stay clam, Glacies. Let's pull that unlabeled microcline lever. While I order someone to do that, Let's see who's living here.

So there are two farmers, me, a miner, and some woodworker. Five of us. That's strange.

Okay, no need to panic, there's a saguro bridge linked to the lever. I'm not trapped.

9th of granite

I'm sort of at a loss for what the fuck I'm supposed to do. I told the planters they could start planting some of those plump helmet seeds, so at least we won't starve to death.

Oh, and now the elves have arrived. Time to give them some rock instruments, I guess.

14th of granite

The elves have arrived with w olf in a cage. Freaking sweet. i'm almost done hauling stuff up to the depot. Then, we trade.

Finished trading with them. Time to get a sunberry farm set up on the surface. Oh, and chain that wolf in my room. :D

17th of granite

So that woodworker and I were moving stuff from the trade dpot when we stumble on three kobalds. He chased them out into the desert and one got knocked into the moat.

22nd of granite

As it turns out, he got all three kobalds. Robin's almost set up the new farm.

25th of granite

So I set the wolf up on a rope in my room. It's a bitch, and hopefully it came here pregnant.

27th of granite

I found that other lazy farmer and told him to get his ass to work.

1st of slate

I really can't fathom what the fuck the dwarves were thinking when they dug this place out. It's insane. There are even places where all that seperates us from watery death is one constructed wall. And they leak, slowly. The dripping drives me crazy.

3rd of slate

I have to get out of here

7 slate
drip drip drip
bvild a hvt. sun b damn i got to get out
drip drip drip dripdripdrip______

10th of slate

I'm feeling a bit better now. I've started to uild a hut aboveground so I can finally relax. The dripping noise is driving me more than a little buts. I'm gonna move the wolf up to my new house after that. The others can damn well stay in that watery cavern if the y damn well please, but not me.

14th of slate

The elves are leaving and progress continues on my house. About 1/3rd done.

16th of slate

Well, about 2/3rds done the hut and

Wait.

Are those people?

20th of slate

Indeed, they are. A mechanic, a mason, and a fisherman, and a soaper, and a cook, and I can't keep track of them all. Or popoulation has doubled or more.

27th of slate

hut almost done drip just need to put a roof on it THEY ALL WANT TO STAY IN THE WET CAVERN they're crazy im staying in the sun. wonderfull sky so dry so dry.

Of course it would help if I would lower the drawbridge to let them in.

26 felsite
drip hahah drip no more im free
hut done no drip drip drip
drip drip drip goes the water
drip rip drpi goes that water drip hahah

Okay, seriously, I need a drink. I'm writing laughter. Next thing I
know I'll be writing "Itchy, tasty." in here.

5th of hematite

Where the fuck did all these people come from? While I was sunbathing on my roof, I saw an unfamiliar dwarf farming in my courtyard. I checkled our ledgers. According to Olon, our bookkeeper, tere are 24 dwarves. Wow.

8th of hematite

Olon says I should make some sort of leadership decisons instead of lazing around on my roof. He thinks it's unnatural. Bah.

I told em' to build me a table and chair so I could eat my lunch up there too. For some reason everyone is looking at me funny.

19th of hematite

I ordered a whole bunch of furniture made for me and for them to build thicker walls around those leaky areas. Giving orders is fun. I'm so busy giving orders I don't have time for any other ork and I can just build expansions on my house and relax in the sun while I write here. Life's great!

23rd of hematite

That's odd. Olon tells me a peasant has been possesed in the depths. I wonder what the spirit will want to create. Oh well. Also, I got my doors installed. Now to get ome furniture. I'm thinking of adding a second floor.

Apparently Urist has claimed a craftdwarf workshop. Keen.

And now he's making something from schist and microcline.

27th of hematite

He made a dinky little earring that he refuses to give me. I'm annoyed with him.

Anyway, the serfs are almost done with roofing the expansion. Now to install the furniture.

10th of malachite

Olon is throwing a party, probably about how great I am.

20th of malachite

was told id get replaced. inadequate. my arse. said id probably lose my room n be forced to live down there. cant. wont. WON'T!

drip drip drip

Only the wolf understands me. She's the only friend I have any more. She'll make sure they can't get me.

12th of galena.

Hahah they're too scared of the wolf to come in and get me. I eat sunberries and water. They don't realise I can get to the moat from my back door. It's a shame I never got to finish my sun palace, but that's the price of my foolishness. I guess I shouldn't have ignored them.

22md of galena

The seige continues. I've got no source of food or water any more. They tunneled to my back door and now I've locked it. They've also got two people stationed up at the farms.

23rd of galena

I can't do this. The wolf has nothing to eat, and, well, I don't either. I'm surrendering.

I'm currently locked in a cell downstairs, but I intend to pick the lock and rescue the wolf. Then, we will make our escape. I don't know how, exactly, but I'll do it.

4th of limestone

I've cut a deal with the dwarves. I'll work in that (ugh) cavern if they let me keep my sun palace and wolf. I used to do metalwork, a long time ago. Maybe I could help with that if they get forges set up. Olon says I should probably stay out of the fortress proper unless I have work to do. I'm not in charge of work descisions, but, hell, I've got what I wanted. Even if it's not as grand as it could be, it'll do.

12th of limestone

I hear they built a mechanists workshop belowground, and they're excavating a barracks too. This explains the woodworker woh walked past my window. He must be out chopping cactus.

15th of limestone

The caravan is coming. I volunteerd to help haul goods up there, but Olon is gonna do the trading.

19th of limestone

Apparently trading went well.

Well that was fun. I did do a lot of other stuff. I kept the dwarves fed and watered, did some trading, and, well, um, that's about it, actually. I started essential food production. I was really too irritated with the stockpiles and layout to get anything productive done.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=547
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 11:20:31 am by Glacies »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008, 07:15:40 pm »

Haha sounds like a fun time.  I'll PM Beardless for the next turn.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 10:54:27 pm »

I should have known that in spite of trying to carefully arrange things otherwise, both my succession games would come due at the same time my Real Job goes nuts.  I'm still game, but it'll take a few days.  If you don't hear from me by Friday, you'll know what happened.

In other words, I am only a Dabbling Organizer.  (Oh, the irony!)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 08:34:14 pm »

Sounds good.  Thanks for letting us know.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 11:32:27 pm »

Really really sorry about the delay.  I should have just bowed out last week.  So little time, such a slow computer.  I'd love to play but it's just not working out right now.  Maybe I can jump in again later, we'll see.  I'll message the next player on the list.  (EchoP, or Kazindir if Echo passes.)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 07:47:52 am »

ok thanks for letting us know.

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2008, 08:16:04 pm »

Sorry guys, I will have to bow out on this one as well. Have too much going on at the moment to do this.  :(
Sorry again.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 06:16:54 am »

Just been pointed to this thread for my turn. :)
I'll get started over the weekend!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2008, 07:41:05 am »

Sounds good.  Looking forward to it!

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2008, 11:23:57 am »

I'll take an open spot..  Pretty much a DF newbie.  PM me when it's my turn..  Also let me know if I'm in or not, I may forget to check the thread. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5