Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: mouse-click = [k]  (Read 1755 times)

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mouse-click = [k]
« on: August 20, 2008, 12:30:13 am »

Wouldn't it be great if, while arrow keying around your fortress, you decide you want to look at a square, so you click on it with your mouse and wa-lah!  You've done the equivalent of hitting [k]!

This might have been suggested before, since it seems so obvious now that I think of it.  Whatever the case, I have no intention of going through 200 pages to find out.

This seems like such a simple mouse implementation.  I can't imagine it being much work to get right.  I mean, it's essentially the same thing we already do after hitting [d]+[d], except it's done without needing to be inside a context menu.  So..actually, it's less complicated  :P 

Ooo!  And then there could be the just-as-simple SHIFT+[mouse-click] for [v]!!

Ah, the carpal tunnel would just melt away.  ;D

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: mouse-click = [k]
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 12:35:15 am »

It seems useful, but take the pause from pressing "k" away if thats implemented. Otherwise whenever I hit the mouse by accident, *PAUSED* and that would get annoying.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 12:44:01 am »

Wow, I can't believe I never thought of that. The accidental clicking would rarely if ever happen on windowed DF, I guess we could make it toggleable in the init.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 12:46:44 am »

It's a good point, but not having the game pause could cause problems, because if you're specifically [k]ing a dwarf or an animal that's moving this time, but next time you're specifically [k]ing the spot a dwarf or animal is standing on, how is the game supposed to know?  Should it follow the moving thing, or should it stay put?

Granted, I'm not clicking around very much (or anywhere near my mouse) while playing DF, since the thing's practically useless except for digging (and then only barely), so this really wouldn't a problem for me.  But I suppose it could be worked around by either making it a right-click, or an alt- or shift-click instead.

(ps: hey they was cool!  When I went to post, it stopped me cuz wooty posted something while I was typing, and it updated so I could view it!  Is that a new feature or is this forum just awesome that way?)
[EDIT: yeah, yeah, I typed his name wrong. Shut up]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:10:12 am by Grand_Marquis »

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 12:53:04 am »

I believe it's wooty, woody is quite a bit different  ::) And yeah, it's been around since the new forum.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 01:09:21 am »

uhhh...I blame the font!

Seriously, that was the first time I ever saw that feature work correctly on a message board.  It was exciting.  Anyway, like he said, toggling the mouse-click thing in the init might be a good idea if you prefer full-screen.  I'm not a fan, so it didn't occur to me.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 05:10:11 am »

Granted, I'm not clicking around very much (or anywhere near my mouse) while playing DF, since the thing's practically useless except for digging (and then only barely), so this really wouldn't a problem for me.  But I suppose it could be worked around by either making it a right-click, or an alt- or shift-click instead.
is it make anything to click in the game??? i never noticed ... i can't decide that i am sad about or just surpriesly stunned ... but for be honest i don't see how to use mouse in DF you need all 2 on keybord to make it easyer to do things ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 07:30:37 am »

Pfft. Mouses are for noobs.

REAL gamers use KEYBOARDS!

Dwarf 1 is sad now.

Dwarf 2 has been ecstatic lately. His best friend went further insane lately. He admired a forum lately.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 08:56:30 am »

I think that one of the problems is that watching for mouse clicks and changing the display while the game is moving is one of those things that wants multithreading to work correctly.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 12:14:25 pm »

There was a thread about interface improvements a while back, and context-sensitive selection of units, items, stockpiles, zones or whatever else was high on the menu. I think the suggestion there was something along the lines of this: clicking on any square pauses the game and brings up a small list of all units/items/other stuff on that tile, allowing you to select it. Or do whatever would be appropriate.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 08:13:45 am »

I was going to post this idea, but I thought it must have been suggested before, so I searched and replied to the first match I found. Sorry it's so old.

Since mouse is already used to define burrows, it would be great to use it to look around any time we need to move the capital "X" with arrow keys. I would think the best way to handle it would be to enter either "k", "v", or "q" mode and move the "X" around with arrow keys as normal, except when the mouse button is held down. Clicking or dragging the mouse in one of these modes moves the "X" cursor to the position under the mouse pointer. When not in "k", "v", or "q" mode, the mouse does nothing.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 07:31:45 pm »

It seems useful, but take the pause from pressing "k" away if thats implemented. Otherwise whenever I hit the mouse by accident, *PAUSED* and that would get annoying.

Perhaps the pause could be toggleable in 'd_init.txt'
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 07:35:11 pm »

If mouse control's added in then hey, fine, but i'm personally alright with just pressing "k"...
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 07:54:42 pm »

Perhaps the pause could be toggleable in 'd_init.txt'

Or simpler yet, a mouse click could be usable to move the cursor to a square; With actually Pressing "k" still required to then bring up the look menu.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Mugros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 03:42:38 am »

If mouse control's added in then hey, fine, but i'm personally alright with just pressing "k"...
and up-up-up-up-up-up-left-left-left-left-left-down-left
Pages: [1] 2