Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird problem  (Read 504 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird problem
« on: August 19, 2008, 08:15:36 pm »

I'm not sure what forum to put this in...I'll try this one.

OK so I'm playing DF on a computer that has an old and smallish monitor on it (1024 x 768 is the biggest resolution I can get)

In old versions - prior to the addition of expandable viewscreen - I would open up DF (I'm using 16x16 Dystopian Rhetoric tiles here), and the game window would not be big enough to contain all the contents it was supposed to - all the text on the opening screen was cut off, and so was the in-game screen. However all I had to do was minimize the window and then bring it up again, and everything would sort of adjust itself like magic to fit onto my screen.

However, now in versions with the expandable view, this causes problems. The game initially looks like it initially did before - everything's cut off. However, if I minimize, then maximize again, it looks the same - but then as soon as I move the selection down the menu (from "Create World Now" to "Worldgen with parameters") everything goes screwy - I get about half the screen displaying the new "adjusted" look and the other half still displaying the old cut-off one. This persists no matter what.

I can hardly imagine I'm the only one playing on an old clunker of a monitor like this - anyone else encountered it? I fiddled around with the init file and tried tweaking just about everything but no luck.

Any suggestions?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Emperor Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weird problem
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 09:39:41 pm »

Use a smaller tileset. A 12x12 should fit inside your screen correctly. 
80*12 = 960 12*25 = 300 so you could still double the number of vertical tiles and fit in the constraints.
That's probably where the Noble system came from in the first place - a cold hard calculation to save Dwarven civilization from thermonuclear politician brawls.