Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 23 new dwarves to join my 7  (Read 2021 times)

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
23 new dwarves to join my 7
« on: August 19, 2008, 07:31:13 pm »

About 4 or 5 were children then there was a puppy, 2 horse foals and 1 horse.

Basically it went like this:
*tries to give the people jobs for their profession for about 5 people*
*Gets 3 metal crafters, another 10 people are given some random jobs that don't need to be done often*
"Screw this!"  >:(
*gives everyone else fishing and farming*

I got 5 peasants which are planned to go into the military and a total of 7 metalcrafters.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:34:10 pm by Reinecker »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: 23 new dwarves to join my 7
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:39:17 pm »

7 metalcrafters?

Odd, but not impossible. Improbable, but definitely not impossible.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 08:04:48 pm »

Plenty probable, if he doesn't have lava.

Good ol' hauling class citizens.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:24:35 pm »

I give them hauling.
Plus pump + siege operating.

Now, when I got a few idlers, I fire up my pumps.  Get them nice the strong, and they're ready for military service.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:29:33 pm »

Just let them sit around talking and boosting stats like crazy. Watch them splatter thieves and snatchers when you temp-recruit them.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:31:02 pm »

Just kill them with traps.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:42:14 pm »

I'm not interested in killing them with traps since I still haven't had my first siege so I am trying to get to that 80 dwarf mark so I can start fighting some goblins. Though I do need to find some magma so it is easier to melt their stuff down though.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 09:43:22 pm »

I always have an army of growers; no fortress plants more seeds in less time! Unless I'm building the next great wall, in which case I've got a legion of terrible masons.
Before, I used to convert all my useless to soldiers and guards; I always had ten more royal and fortress guards than I needed, and champions in the double digits. It was fun to see the fortress gates open behind a fleeing siege (hell yes I still let traps do all the real work) and a glut of guards and champions rushing out like angry ants.

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 10:30:29 pm »

I get to 46 dwarves, I lose 6. One of thirst because apparently I never have enough barrels even though I reserved 5. 3 of my miners (almost all of them) died from digging a channel for a moat. Then the rest died from hunting. I said screw it to hunting and I will just get my bones from my own animals, either way I have too many. *starts butchering kittens and puppies left and right*

My only marksdwarf with a kill got a mangled leg and a broken arm by a fire imp  :-[
She is going to stay in my military and I am going to wait those years for her to recover.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:29:49 pm by Reinecker »

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 12:08:58 am »

Plenty probable, if he doesn't have lava.

Good ol' hauling class citizens.

Yeah. Peasants (Or Slaves, as you might know them) are good for hauling stuff and testing your wonderful new magma/water/bridge trap.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 05:00:30 am »

Hi!

Personally, I do not plan that much with my immigrants. Instead, I simply check the personality of each immigrant and activate the labors I find most fitting for them (usually over half a dozen for each dwarf).

Any dwarf with artistic tendencies of any kind will get all the crafting and engraving, solitary dwarves will get fishing, plant gathering, weaving, and probably wood cutting. Team workers end up with farming, brewing, cooking; organized ones get architecture, siege engineering, mechanics; merciless dwarves get fish cleaning, butchery, tanning. Ah, just about every dwarf gets masonry and carpentry.

So, I don't specialize my dwarves that much, but I still have them busy all the time.

Deathworks

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 05:23:31 am »

Most of my initial immigrants with useless or no professions get masonry, stone detailing and architecture.
Often I give many of them mining as well.

They might initially not be good in these professions, but normally I have tons of walls to be built as well as loads of mining and stone detailing jobs, so they learn quickly ;)

Mayn of them (especially people with jobs only occasionally needed) also get second jobs in the food industry that donīt need skill levels for quality, such as butchery, plant processing and fish cleaning

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 07:52:50 am »

If I'm ever gonna get problems with new citizens, I will sell them as pets to the elves or humans.

Trap them in cages and sell the cage.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 09:32:04 am »

The first time I got immigrants, thay came 20 at a time too. There was even a married couple with a child! It was hilarious- the husband worshipped the same religion as the wife, but "reluctantly".
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 10:19:31 am »

I like peasants, better then having useless *insert job* dwarfs, for training in weapon or armor smithing that is.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.
Pages: [1] 2