Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 23 new dwarves to join my 7  (Read 2016 times)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: 23 new dwarves to join my 7
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 12:25:56 pm »

If I'm ever gonna get problems with new citizens, I will sell them as pets to the elves or humans.

Trap them in cages and sell the cage.

Tried it, they were let go by the hauler before the cage was taken to the depot.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 12:52:20 pm »

IF they are currently not needed (lots of Hauling Jobs;etc.) give em low-quality wooden shields and some rags.Then make em punch each other.Even though they won´t gain attributes as fast as assigning them to pumps,however each of em is going to gain some rangs in shield.- and armorusing,which is,at least in my humble opinion,more useful than superdwarfenly-though Peasants with Dabbling Shield-user Skill.

Or,in case you choose the pansy-way of defense,draft them as crossbow-dwarfs.Also a good way to train those persky Wood/Bonecrafters via creating alot of bolts,creating a lot of of Hauling Tasks for newly created ammo.

In either case,the idlenumber will decrease.

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 07:14:31 pm »

Well I am just 7 dwarves away from getting to 80. I can't wait to have my first siege. With a river and magma I have unlimited amounts of obsidian and I can just melt down the eventual unlimited amount of metal objects from goblins.

I still oddly enough am getting max framerate.  :o

I have 1 wrestler, 4 speardwarves, and 8 marksdwarves with 200 copper bolts. Also I am making copper platemail for all of them. There is also a small moat and wall + plus bridge at the only entrance to my fortress. Right behind the gate is 3 chained up war dogs then I have a few more wondering around. On to the side of the wall up 1 z-level is a wall of fortifications that my marksdwarves can fire down upon.

Think I should be able to handle the first few sieges with relative ease?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 08:00:30 pm »

I handle my first sieges normally with just 4 marksdawrves (aside from the walls with retractable bridges that prevent all access to the inner fortress with the pull of a lever).
SO what you have sounds even like overkill :D

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 08:21:59 pm »

I was going for overkill, I also got 2 spearmaster heroes just now and a few more should be following behind them. Also I am starting a squad of wrestlers, so far I have about 3 of them. I also just got a dungeon master and migrants boosting my population to 90. Now time to just wait for the first siege.  ;D

Phant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 10:09:48 pm »

Back during the 2d version I devised a method for dealing with all those extra immigrants. First, I slowly pick a few for specialized trades, a few craftsdwarves, 2-4 farmer types. So at any given time my number of dwarves that are single or double professioned are very few, the 4 miner/masons I bring with me, the founding carpenter/seige engineer and the two founding farmer types, 2-3 extra farmers, 2-4 craftsdwarves, and any smith types that come along(to a point, if this gets to be more than 7-8 I start culling the more useless types)

The rest get to join the Noob caste. Noobs do mass stuff. stone detailing, mechanics, siege operating, hauling.
Between the detailing(and I smooth every inch of my fort proper) the disposal of excess stone via catapult and any other odd jobs(I somehow got a legendary animal caretaker in my current fort) Noobs slowly grow into a powerful group of haulers/generalists and military recruits. They can shift large amounts of anything quick, they can take a few wounds stoically, and they are always a pool of quick recruits should a soldier die.

Another benefit is that your bound to get a few mood created legendary engravers, which is handy in getting nobles rooms up to standard if you dont have access to valuable materials for creating furniture.
Pages: 1 [2]