Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Card Game  (Read 3381 times)

gamerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Card Game
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 12:11:43 am »

I vote for the board game.

The Dwarf figures for it need to have removable limbs :D

If anyone likes what I said, I could try and revise it, like think up what the sheets might actually look like and stuff, the details.

I think I covered the basics of everything.

Also, I don't think we really have a way to get this into any sort of production.

Lucid_Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 12:19:37 am »

Well I gave this a bit to much thought.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There are a few deal breaking problems with this. The first one that comes to mind is that to get a reasonable sized area you'd need at least 100 x 100 space. That even seems unbelievable crowded. That's 10,000 tiles. Assuming that each tile weighs a single gram, one Z level of a map would weigh 22 pounds. On the more obvious size, this requires a manufacturer. And a good one, too. I think it's awesome in concept, but... near impossible.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2008, 06:51:57 am »

Stick with those little cheap papery things that taste like cheap ink.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2008, 07:04:41 am »

Damnit people, why don't we just photoshop Magic cards?!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 07:31:25 am »

I vote for the board game.

The Dwarf figures for it need to have removable limbs :D

If anyone likes what I said, I could try and revise it, like think up what the sheets might actually look like and stuff, the details.

I think I covered the basics of everything.

Also, I don't think we really have a way to get this into any sort of production.

While you directly translated DF into a board game, I think DF itself is just fine where it is, on the computer, where the work happens behind the scenes.  A board game should be much simpler, but take philosophy from DF.  Something where the board is created by placing tiles randomly a la Settlers or with intention a la Carcassone, and dwarves are just little wooden abstract-shaped figures like you might find in any other board game.  Z-levels should be abstracted away so you can actually play the damn thing, so modeling this on the 2D version is probably best.  You could randomly place a bunch of grass/water/tree tiles, ending in a cliff face, and then to dig you'd take a tile from your hand and play it on the cliff side of the map.

Not sure what the objective would look like, but these are my early-morning thoughts.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 09:36:45 am »

Well I gave this a bit to much thought.

I imagine that would get kinda cumbersome. Plus for all that effort, well, you might as well play the computer game. No offense.

Not to say that Dwarf Fortress absolutely could not be a board game, but you'd need at least a little abstraction to make it playable. Actually, a lot of abstraction.

In terms of random word generation, I was just going to have a word printed on the bottom of each of the cards, and the players draw the words randomly to make names. It's not true random name generation, but it'll do.

EDIT: God, my website sucks. I don't know anything about HTML. It's ugly as sin. I'm going to have to rewrite my entire website to make it navigable. Sigh.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:54:38 am by WillNZ »
Pages: 1 2 [3]