Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Card Game  (Read 3387 times)

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Card Game
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:42:01 pm »

Since starting the game from the 2D version, I've thought how cool Dwarf Fortress would be as a card game. I dunno why, I just thought it would. Well, I've made up some mockups of what DF cards would look like. You can see them on my website: http://antipediangames.x10hosting.com/dfcg.html

There's no rules to go with them, I'm afraid. Just a bunch of hypothetical might-be rules. But a bigger question: am I the only one who's interested in a DF card game? Because I'm willing to put forward some effort in making it if there's some interest... and probably if there was absolutely no interest.

Oh, and any and all suggestions are welcome.

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Card Game
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 03:42:11 pm »

The download for those PDFs is broken. Why don't you just upload the pictures on imageshack or something?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:14:38 pm »

Don't use PDFs; it doesn't matter whether it's text or pictures, they take forever to load and they tend to make browsers hang.

As for image hosts, I prefer Photobucket, myself.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:39:54 pm »

Hmmm... even my site is down. It's not used to more than two people a day logging into it :) Alright, I'll try to make them into images a little later.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:44:42 pm by WillNZ »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 05:45:52 pm »

Don't use PDFs; it doesn't matter whether it's text or pictures, they take forever to load and they tend to make browsers hang.

Erm are you kidding? I think that you must have some old computer.  ;D

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 06:26:50 pm »

ARGH! Hypothetical game with no concrete rules yet?

Maybe.. No! I don't have time for this! But what if... No! Yes! NO! YES! NO! YES! NO! YES! YES! YES YES YES! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahaha...haha...haaaaa....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! *Runs off to somewhere*
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 06:43:42 pm »

Erm are you kidding? I think that you must have some old computer.  ;D
Either that or a poorly maintained school computer that has far too much bloat on it to ensure a so-called stable, secure, and productive student experience.  I unfortunately have to deal with such machines all the time.  Getting any work done on them can be a very painful experience.  They have the hardware to handle stuff just fine, but the suck regardless.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 07:32:38 pm »

I designed a board game with heavy DF influence several months after I first became hooked on DF (Fall 2006 or so). The first version wasn't very good (sure fun to make). It had a 2D side map where two players start at the top and build a city underground as they go further. It did get more dangerous as you went deeper, and it was more or less a carbon copy of DF (in concept). It didn't work well though, at all.

The second version was a little further from DF (had more in common with R.A.Salvatore's D&D novels involving dwarfs. Dwarven Battleragers for the win!) However, after one playtest, it was found to be subpar as well.

I've got a 3rd version halfway done. It would have incorporated a "Market" where players could sell resources they didn't need and buy ones they did. (Thus somewhat mitigating the following issue) Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that the game mechanic of Player's Uncovering hidden tiles (a.k.a. digging), while fun and thematic, was inherently unbalanced and uncontrollable. As a result, development is indefinitely postponed.

On the plus side, after designing the first version, I've been launched into the quite fun hobby of designing board games. I've got a few good ones too (but that topic is for some other time).

Spud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 07:45:37 pm »

I had designed a fully functioning DF card game at one point, it was a bit more combat oriented than what your cards show, but it was dece.

I also make board games, i made one once that was a ww1 flight thing and was quite enjoyable, i should make it a gain as i lost the rules :P

I think that if you had certian tiles for certian levels you could most definetly make a decent DF like board game
I hate it when people answer "whats going on" with "not too much".
Plenty of shit is going on and you know it. Spill motherfucker.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 07:50:54 pm »

Hehe..I like it..Though the back should have somthing that realy symbolised dwarf fortress..Maby a pick or somthing. How would the game be played though? Maby have four race types, goblins included. You wont be able to play goblins on the field with any other races on your field other than elves, because elves are evil and obviously incourage seiges.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 08:48:34 pm »

I have a feeling DF wouldn't turn out so pretty on cards...or in a board game, or even on a console...I can't seem to get used to playing on my mac laptop, either, I have to go back to my big old PC. Something just doesn't want me to play DF on anything but good old Windows.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 08:58:09 pm »

I tend to see dwarf fortress more in storys than in cards.

Though I'm sure if you try hard enough you could get DF into cards easily!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:44:01 pm »

"Boksi" Äkorid, Peasant, withdraws from society...
"Boksi" Äkorid has claimed a couch!
"Boksi" Äkorid has begun a mysterious construction.
"Boksi" Äkorid constantly mutters "Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress: Electric Boogaloo".
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 12:03:54 am »

Do you know the "Settlers of Catan" board game? I have the "card" version. You can make a game similar to it in questions of building - make "rooms" as central cards, make "corridors" as side roads to connect rooms to it and place dwarves, workshops and specials in the corners. Or you can place workshops/features/specials only and keep dwarves as separate units (cards not connected to the mainframe "fortress") and use them in a special phase of turn/events.
 Make a differentiation between left-right and up-down building. When you draw an event card take the event based on your highest/lowest level; higher level will allow some creative positive events or bad events like a dwarf falling from atop of the tower; and for lower levels add more "greedy" events like discovering of mining resources or ponds and terrible events like subterranean creatures/demons in the lowest levels. Tie workshop requirements to the levels and you're done.
This is an idea number one, there are much more in my head now.

I like the idea of a DF card/board game VERY VERY much (being a board-addict).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:06:05 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lucid_Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 12:27:52 am »

I thought up a basic framework for a DF card game shortly after reading this post. I like for things to be simple and streamlined, though, which is the opposite of DF for the most part, but tell me what you think.

All cards are either population, like miners or farmer or siege engineers. They form up into trees, for example, glassmakers on top of wood burners on top of wood cutters. The rest of the cards are challenges, ranging from simple things like hunger or thirst, to the more exotic like magma pipes or sieges. If you don't meet the required appropriate population, for example, soldiers to fend off a siege, some of your population is destroyed, based on how badly you failed.
Pages: [1] 2 3