Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Epic Foodstuffs  (Read 1843 times)

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Epic Foodstuffs
« on: August 19, 2008, 01:47:18 pm »

So, just recently I had made a fortress where I had decided that I would only plant crops that had to be processed before devouring.

I had also decided to grow no crops during winter. The choice became sweet pod and cave wheat.

Milling was deemed the simplest to make them into food (I don't cook alcohol either), followed by cooking.

Without realizing it, I've made some pretty neat (in RL terms) biscuits out of sugar and flour :p

Who else here has tried (willingly or by accident) to emulate RL cooking using DF ingredients?

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Foodstuffs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 02:02:51 pm »

Is there an easier way to set crops than setting each crop for each season for each farm? I have about 80 farm plots and holy christ is that time-consuming. a clone tool would be useful.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 02:13:39 pm »

No, but why you have so many farms is a mystery to me. You'll be digging out the entire mountain just to store the massive surplus of food from all those farms. On a one season harvest alone, you'll probably be able to feed a 200 cap fortress for a couple of yeas.
This is not a signature.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 02:17:07 pm »

That is actually an interesting idea in itself. Grow so much food that you won't have to worry about it for ages to come.

But, then again, storage is an issue.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

Compared to the problems of storing all my finished goods and extra stone, food is not even an issue. Just build lots of Bins.

I actually have this many because I accidentally flooded my first farm chamber, built a new one, then finally got the old one pumped out to find it was intact and laden with ripe crops. Too lazy to tear one of them down. Still, even when half my farms were underwater it was a pain to configure the ones that were available. Hopefully future updates will include a faster method.

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:27:58 pm »

You know what would be useful in this case. The ability to combine and divide farm plots so that you can designate them for the same crop faster or the latter case designate them for two different crops.

It still seams strange to have 80 different farm plots. i have a population of over a hundred and i only have about 7 or 8 farm plots of varying sizes.
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:32:24 pm »

Jeeez, can we get off the matter of how many farms I have? Just pretend my economy is based on food export if you have to :)

I like that idea though, would be very useful.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 02:59:03 pm »

Food export in this game only requires 1 legendary cook and a trade depot ;)

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 03:00:48 pm »

Food export in this game only requires 1 legendary cook and a trade depot ;)

Not at the levels I export it. I supply all my world's food in fact, none of the rest of the world produces any food because mine is so affordable and yet high-quality.

I don't even see why it matters what I'm mass-producing, its not like there is anything I can't afford, I buy out the traders on every trip and it doesn't even put a tiny dent in my stocks. If I want to produce stone blocks or whatever I want for profit, it doesn't really matter at this point. I have broken the world economy by being too strong a producer.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:02:25 pm by hexrei »

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 03:03:09 pm »

Legendary Cook + Lavish Meal made out of Only Dwarven Syrup = You can buyout a whole caravan with one stack ;D.

Too bad Dwarven cooks do not mix Plump helmets and such when cooking :/.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 03:14:37 pm »

Is there an easier way to set crops than setting each crop for each season for each farm? I have about 80 farm plots and holy christ is that time-consuming. a clone tool would be useful.

You aren't making a bunch of 1x1 farm plots are you?  Just in case, fyi, you can resize farm plots when initially building them to be many squares across.  You don't do it with the select drag function like digging however, you have to us the u-h-k-m keys to select the size before selecting the site.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 03:50:26 pm »

Lol, that is exactly what I was doing. I quietly realized from the other posts that this was what I was missing... was hoping I could get out of the thread without having to admit it ;)

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 03:59:31 pm »

:D

That's a laugh right there. Learn something new everyday though, eh?
This is not a signature.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 05:54:27 pm »

I think we've all done something like that at some point.

Psiclops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 06:13:30 pm »

Knowing that 80 farm plots is equal to 80 squares of farm changes some of those answers a bit. 80 squares is not insane farming, although its probably adequate to feed a large fortress easily with so-so skilled farmers.
Pages: [1] 2