Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One tile island  (Read 1516 times)

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One tile island
« on: August 19, 2008, 01:11:24 pm »

I'm looking for a one tile island.

For reference, I'm talking about the ones that Toady posted in the development page a while back.
They seem to be rare, but if anyone has or has found one, please post the seed or whatever is required to recreate it in DF.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One tile island
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:17:51 pm »

I don't have the seed anymore but I can confirm the method of creation.

Your best bet is to go into the world painter (e -> p) and paint a huge number of one (world map) tile islands. Make the surrounding water have an elevation of 80, and the island itself have an elevation of 101. You'll get a lot of islands that bleed over into other tiles, but every so often it will make a proper one tile island. Keep in mind that you'll need to keep a large continent so civs can properly spawn, and because you'll be surrounded by water on every side even in the local map, you'll never get any immigrants or caravans.

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:44:08 pm »

Such as this one?

I haven't found any smaller ones and I have searched a lot. No caravans, no immigrants, no land wildlife coming in. You can get magma, but I haven't been able to get small enough mountain islands for mountain features.

Aquifer really spotty, can dig pretty much anywhere, lots of iron ore, sand and flux. Parameters are too large to post (stupid 40k char limit). Take the last two lines (height map) and repeat until it's 129 lines long.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:25:46 pm »

Hi!

What exactly are your looking for in such an island? If you mean islands of a size of 1 tile in the world map (as exported via 'p'), you basically need a reasonable height variance (600+). The greater the variance the more radical the height change and the higher the chances of small islands.

I am not 100% sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if volcanoes actually also included islands (volcanoes do seem to raise the terrain). So, you may want to raise the number of volcanoes to max (don't worry, they never cause rejects) and set variance for volcanism to 1600. This should give you some volcanoes in the ocean, and probably also some islands with them.

In the world I recently put up at the depot, there is at least one 2-tile island. It is in the ocean SE of the point of interest marked on the map. You need to scroll the map a little bit.

I hope this information is kind of what you are looking for.

Deathworks

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 04:29:37 pm »

I got one just now, though they are kinda rare.  8 volcanoes popped up in a neat little chain out in one ocean and one of them was 1 world tile big, no bigger.  I totally embarked all over it.  Didn't do much more than look around though.  It's a lot more mountainy than I thought it would be!

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 04:30:53 pm »

I tried this once but, well without immigration, traders or invaders isolation gets kinda boring.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 04:41:25 pm »

I actually found a one-tile volcano island which just barely touched the edges at  largest size. It didn't actually bleed into the surrounding tiles, but it still allowed dwarf caravans and migrants.

It happened to have a cave with a giant, giant bats and giant cave swallows though. I fretted about it for a while and then i just put a floor over the entrance.  :P

Bloody boring place otherwise though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:33:04 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.