Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A little update + things on Armok  (Read 8249 times)

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A little update + things on Armok
« on: June 01, 2003, 09:08:00 am »

Personal Update :Damn...I Fixed problems at school with Italian and Italian..but began
slowly loosing points in Physics and English...Maths is still as bad as it was...I made
a test some days ago and I still have to see the results
...If i made it VERYYYYYYYYYY well I should have no problem...Toady One,as you are
"some sort"of math professor... wish me some good luck :-9

Here's a list of some things i want to say.

Toady:Fix the leaves!I can't see them!

I just got an insight...when quitting,the game says.....

"You will die,but the universe will remain as it is now"..Toady...

That's sad,but true. We perish, we disappear...maggots shall feast on our rotten bodies,
as nature,Giver first of Life and then Death,takes his tool. The maggots will die
too. Maybe the earth and whole universe will explode someday...but...

BUT THE MARCH OF TIME GOES ON...FOREVER!

About Spells...Some of you,like spelguru,had ideas for spells not affecting
living objects...But what is really life(Is Philosop-what getting on your nerves :-) )
I mean...If I wanted to use Alter Shape on living creatures,why not allow it?
Maybe the "living" creature could oppose itself with willpower...But,then,
"undeads"aren't living,and some DO HAVE willpower...You see...A "living creature"
like you and me,is still composed of materials like any object.
Cells are made of atom,I suppose.
But life is something more than a Mathematic formula...
Or not? :-)

Also,Harlander said about "Focus"..." ferrous metals may simply cause any magic poured at
them to dissipate"...This has to do with the Myths about Faeries and "Cold iron",right?
Also..ELVES SHOULD BE VULNERABLE TO COLD IRON!!!(Most)are haughty and arrogant and
REALLY deserve to die!

Spelguru only decent spells,IN MY OPINION,are "Firesnake" and MAYBE "Heat".

By the way...As soon as you release,I will start doing the new
version of the manual :-) With summer coming,we have all
lots of time!

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: A little update + things on Armok
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 03:09:00 am »

The problem with magic effecting living creatures is it makes it too easy to kill them.  Same goes for spells like "bullet" or "fireball".  They have to be hard to cast or wizards become gods and the game becomes boring.  Toady is just going to have to write a program into the game that detects "killer spells" and makes them take a lot to cast or makes the victim "roll a saving throw" visa-vi D&D.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 11:58:00 am »

Good luck on the math test.

I'm trying to fix the leaves, dammit...  it's hard, since I can see them.  And when I tweak something, they are still there.  The leaf printing code doesn't seem any different that the rest of the code, but the leaves don't print.  It is weird.

I have 64 little tasks to do to finish the prerelease, and with those it won't really have much magical in it at all.  I now think it is called the Wholesome Fun release because it wasn't fun to program, and it won't be fun to play.  Yeah.

This is a fantasy game.  Life can be more than matter because creature can have souls or lifeforces or some such crap.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 02:53:00 pm »

just noticed I pasted/make some big mistake soem wrong part of the message...my math test was very BADLY made...and so im a mediocre student :-) Well at least i saved myself in other classes/fields of study...

On the other hand..im becoming an ALMOST famous poet :-) my poem about "the war"was published on the school magazine :-)

I forgot another 2 important questions for Slaves to Armok...

1)Can i steal some graphics/bmps from the game for some side games/projects im doing?Ya know..im learning C++ :-)
2)Can trees die with all this melting :-) ?

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 10:00:00 pm »

Someone else has a habit of smileys  >8)

heh

I wish I had a cave 8( sniffle... so lonely...: I was reading the plan and day dreaming some more on how great some things will be... heh...
Cant wait till Caves are better then girlfriends  >8(

Food Yucky: Food is not going to be in for a long time...  but when it does come to food... wont there be some special treats for different races... like some undead only like raw meat or brains or something... so... what if they try to eat some vegtables or something?
Until then... Enjoy freedom from the evil time wasting snackies! Yay  8)

Sleep bad: Which release will work on that time button thing... that makes you rest for like 10 hours and get healed up.... kinda cheap when your using it around a swarm of monsters...  >8(

Trees no evil! : I dunno if I mentioned this... but having the trees show up as enemies gets a bit annoying.... I hate to think nature is a foe... and I have to becareful... and wait for a small X to jerk left and right... then run over there seeking blood  >8)

I forget what else I was coming to whine about... but until then keep up the good work  8)

And do a fancy countdown thing like 64, 63, 62  Yay  heh
Nah Im just kidding heh

Edit: Yay I can add a little bit more....

Back to Trees: Leaves dont show up for me either and I have Windows ME (anything else you need to help?)
Speaking of trees not being evil (for now) Why not add like haunted woods where the branches fight back and all.... heh and try to shove you into swamp or quicksand... <.<  >.>  er... quickswamp... or something... and their roots keeping you from running and stuff.... maybe not roots...

Which release will the race selection screen thing fall into and be more organized... life isnt that interesting when playing as some moss....  8/

I dont mean to rush or request any of this... Im just curious if you had any of this in mind or something. heh

[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: Renaxer ]

oof

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 02:46:00 pm »

Working on make some of the new things display properly (abilities) even if you can't really use them yet...  so much lacking in this version...  too big...

Anyway, take any graphics you want.  Trees turn into puddles but they don't die yet.  The game fails to realize that even if something isn't conscious, it can die if it doesn't exist anymore.

I guess with food I was planning to give creatures diets.  A lot of poisons would just be food that doesn't agree with one creature but might be fine for another.

Sleeping is lame right now, but I didn't have an immediate plan for fixing it.  If there's something in the plan about time abstraction, it would be there, but I'm not sure.

He he he...  yes, perhaps trees can be marked differently on the map.  Life should probably be classified into various groups for that...

I hate the leaf bug.  What's more, if leaves don't show up, hair won't either.  People will look like they have holes in their heads.  At least, maybe it won't show up.  They should print or not print together, but who knows?  .......

Character creation was going to be fixed a long time from now...  like during the Life Beyond Curses and Dead Parents or the Starting to Look Like a Game releases...  just because there needs to be some civilizations etc. in place for the game to know what options are appropriate.

62 goals left before I can do my planned June pre-release of the Wholesome Fun version.  I don't really feel like calling it a magic release anymore.  There are like two spells.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 07:37:00 pm »

Anyone else notice... how suspiciously quiet the board got lately....  

<.<

>.>  

kinda... creepy...  8(

oof

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 11:56:00 pm »

chrip chirp

chirp chirp

chirp chirp