Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hammerer and the Millitary  (Read 1922 times)

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
Hammerer and the Millitary
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:52:42 am »

I have never attracted the king before, so this is making me ponder "Can the Hammerer be assigned to a military or the sheriff position?"
I'm also wondering if (s)he spars.
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hammerer and the Millitary
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 11:18:26 am »

"Can the Hammerer be assigned to a military or the sheriff position?"

Nope. The Hammerer is a noble, and does not follow any orders, unlike the Mayor or Captain of the Guard. Unlike the dungeon master, the Hammerer doesn't have any skills and won't do anything except occasionally trade at the depot or harvest plants.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:35:44 am »

Unlike the dungeon master, the Hammerer doesn't have any skills and won't do anything except occasionally trade at the depot or harvest plants.

If you mean harvesting from a farm, that's accurate.

But if you mean harvest natural-grown plants, that'd be a skill.  That'd be Herbalism, in fact.

Anyway, he's not totally useless.  If you make him his own little house on the border where the goblins usually attack you'll find he'll take a few of them out before they get to more important dwarves.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:59:24 pm »

Yeah, I saw him kicking the crap out of goblins during my last siege. I'm not sure how tough he really is but he waded right in there with my three champions and assorted other badasses and they took the siege out with no traps necessary and only one casualty. That hammer really makes the goblins fly.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 12:59:45 pm »

...he's not totally useless.  If you make him his own little house on the border where the goblins usually attack you'll find he'll take a few of them out before they get to more important dwarves.

That's is a great idea, and exactly what I'm looking for. I'll also throw gobbos in his house from a pit above to level him up.
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 01:14:11 pm »

Unlike the dungeon master, the Hammerer doesn't have any skills and won't do anything except occasionally trade at the depot or harvest plants.

If you mean harvesting from a farm, that's accurate.

But if you mean harvest natural-grown plants, that'd be a skill.  That'd be Herbalism, in fact.

Yeah, I should probably have capitalized the tasks to make it clear I was referring to the job names (from the Job Screen), i.e. Trade at Depot and Harvest Plants.

Herbalism is Gather Plants.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:19:30 pm »

He'll also remove constructions, build floodgates (at least in one of the older-but-still-quite-recent versions, I don't know if that was changed recently), and pull levers.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 02:23:55 pm »

Well ya, who doesn't love to pull levers.

I even saw my children removing constructions for me. I wonder if they can pull levers
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 02:35:04 pm »

Hmm, there's an idea for making nobles earn their keep.  Make their quarters part of the fortress defenses!  It is the nobles' responsibility to defend their people after all, so put them up there with the military.  Lets your royal guards see some action too.

For practical purposes, probably you would build the rooms and use them for stockpiles until nobles arrived.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 03:14:45 pm »

I dont know about Hammerers for defenses.  On one fort I had in 38c the hammerer was an outdoorsie type and was allways hanging around far flung corners of the map.  Needless to say he was always the first to charge, alone, miles from any friend, straight into seigers.  He died.  (note three succesive hammers did this so I'm asuming they were all just the same moron getting resurected and going at it again.  Also no immigrants arrived in those three years, just the lone replacement hammerer.  I assume that the hammerer just killed all the other migrants on the journey over.)

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 04:48:16 pm »

Why do you want to "level up" the hammerer, takie? Ya want your criminals to die even faster?
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 08:32:23 pm »

Hmm, there's an idea for making nobles earn their keep.  Make their quarters part of the fortress defenses!  It is the nobles' responsibility to defend their people after all, so put them up there with the military.  Lets your royal guards see some action too.

For practical purposes, probably you would build the rooms and use them for stockpiles until nobles arrived.

Genius.  I now know where to put the King's Quarters.  :D
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:16:28 pm »

Why do you want to "level up" the hammerer, takie? Ya want your criminals to die even faster?

I obsessively run thru my dwarfs' personalities to check and see if they're happy. If one of my super miners does something bad, I'll make them a hunter and assign some plate mail.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 09:55:13 pm »

Genius.  I now know where to put the King's Quarters.  :D

That's a great idea. Back when I thought nobles did something - anything- but consume resources, I gave them an awesome palace deep inside the earth, secluded from the proles and far from danger. But this idea is a great, why not put them right in the line of fire?

Weev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

I dont know if this is true or not, but I've often seen my fortress and royal guard run out to protect nobles more often then not.  I do love the 30 fortress guardsmen making themselves useful by scareing off the lesser prepared sieges when the consort runs out to grab a sock for herself.
Oddly enough I find it weird that Dwarves currently cannot attain godhood.
Pages: [1] 2