Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How Much a Grid Square Is?  (Read 2180 times)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: How Much a Grid Square Is?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 02:27:43 pm »

They have to be big enough to hold a bed.  On the other hand, they aren't big enough to hold two standing goblins.

I'd just pick what ever size seems most convenient to get the proportions right.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 03:07:59 pm »

The best estimate was to use an object that DOES have a limit on how much fits in a tile:  water.

Based on how much water people drink and the amount of water that (injured) dwarves drink you get about 39 to 40 cubic feet of water per tile.

Yes, to continue what you said; remember that there are missing features; eventually creatures may have more complex tile-occupancy rules, and items will eventually fill tiles too.

Using water as a constant, as we know the amount of water consumed by a dwarf is roughly equal to that of a human, we can calculate the volume of a tile- that is, 39-40 cu. ft. of water. This is enough water to last 7 people a month, if it's only used for drinking. Now, we know that humans can easily walk in dwarf fortresses, so the rooms are about 6 feet high; this is taller than strictly necessary for dwarves, but it's still more comfortable than otherwise. Since the floor space of the tile needs to be square, we get 2.5 feet.

Of course, this size is flexible; tiles can and do change size as needs require.

Except that a bed fits in a tile, now asuming a dwarf if about 4 feet high the bed would have to be around 4.5 or 5 feet in length.  OF course according to that formula if a dwarf were shorter lets say 3 feet high the ceilings would only need to be four feet high and the beds only 3.5 feet long.  Humans could still move in there just not comfortabley.  But then would they really drink as much water as a human?  its doubtfull.  Quite frankly I think saying a dwarf drinks as much, or rather as little as a human is false.

@LeoLeonardo that first picture is totally how I imagined them, except dwarf animals have about 100 or so horse power as opposed to regular horses.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 04:18:19 pm »

My argument is that beds, and a large number of other items, overlap the 2.5 foot area into adjacent tiles, but it is too negligible to map. Also, it is just the volume of meat that depends on how much water a creature should need; though dwarves are shorter than humans, they are slightly denser and wider, and this roughly balances out.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 04:36:18 pm »

I usually think of them as 7'×7'×7' or 8'×8'×8' cubes. That's feet, for you metric people.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 06:15:02 pm »

So THAT's what that ' symbol is. Here I thought it was some kind of fancy replacement for the letter m.

Silly me.

Don't mind me. I'm waiting for a 1.5 GB PDF file to finish compiling so I can get off work and go play Dwarf Fortress.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 07:03:44 pm »

So THAT's what that ' symbol is.

I'm 5'10" (five foot, 10 inches).  Something fancy someone came up with once that's not terribly clear sometimes.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 07:06:52 pm »

My argument is that beds, and a large number of other items, overlap the 2.5 foot area into adjacent tiles, but it is too negligible to map. Also, it is just the volume of meat that depends on how much water a creature should need; though dwarves are shorter than humans, they are slightly denser and wider, and this roughly balances out.
Denser, stronger, faster, mini dwarf holes of black doom.

Charmless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 08:43:35 pm »

I've always thought of them as five-foot cubes. Roguelikes were originally based heavily on Dungeons and Dragons, and combat in DnD is mapped out on 5x5 squares.

CrazyEyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 08:49:45 pm »

I think of the cubes as being four or five feet long and wide, and maybe six or seven feet high.  That would comfortably accommodate one dwarf while leaving room for another to squeeze by, and the ceilings are tall enough to be luxurious to dwarves and comfortable to taller creatures like elves and humans.

I don't think Megabeasts should be used as a guide, nor quantum storage methods, since they're both not very realistic right now.
I'm glad all the DF players are not living in one district. It'd be the most dangerous district for the whole world.
Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen. 

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 12:47:45 am »

like humans can be played too the beds for dwarfes are not too realistic neither i think i am more ok with the 7 or 8 incs (help for metric people like me) so it makes ~2,5m a good bed :)
for the inch ... is it the same as one zoll?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: 1 [2]