Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Crazy constructions  (Read 3108 times)

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy constructions
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 04:01:40 pm »

Hence why I haven't gotten around to building it yet ;)
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 04:41:13 pm »

Hey, thanks for the stone silo idea. I'm using it now, and I'm also expanding it.

>_>

Fortifications at the top. :D Woo!

Never had a goblin siege though... I keep abandoning too soon.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 10:42:45 pm »

That paratrooper pod would have to be filled with your best soldiers. Legendary miners that went on to become master killing machines in full plate armor of the best quality and material you can find.
I believe I heard somewhere that creatures that land on top of other creatures are unharmed, you could do
a forum search for it.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

borninshadow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 12:47:12 am »

My current mega-project is part excavation and part construction and entirely stolen from someone else!  It has phases for your enjoyment  :D

Phase 1: An underground "tower" that stretches to the bottom z-level, filled with crypts, eating and living halls, manufacturing, etc.  Basically the bare infrastructure of a fortress.

Phase 2: Dig away a large (I think I have it at 10 deep) area around the tower, giving the underground a large area to begin a city of its own.
Phase 2a: Divert the brook so it drops underground and then is pumped back up to where it is supposed to leave the map

Phase 3: Break through to the surface, creating a large gap around the tower and the outside world

Phase 4: Build to the top Z-level, adding on to the tower

Phase 5: Ring the tower with pumps so that the water circles the tower (height and perimeter wise) before rejoining the brook

Also, my "ultimate dwarven doom" project will be used on the next map.  The project is fairly simple.  You've seen a cave in?  Ever seen a "field in"?  FOR THE ENTIRE MAP!?  ::insert deranged laughter here::

-Aaron, happy about his first post here

PS - Is Escaped Lunatic the title given for people's first post?  If so, then yay!  :D

Weev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 02:02:02 am »

My latest fort is a testing ground for new ideas, A six story water pumping tower that drops water down 10 z-levels to the middle of my dining room into the aquifer that it sprung from. Magma drains, underground towers, dragon bunkers, levers that create instant walls (Bridges formed in a square pattern).  I'm currently trying to find a way to loop magma safely, or at least get it to spit out into the ocean.  Tobe fair, i haven't had a siege yet, and I'm drastically unprepared for it. but my goal is to get ready for one of my dream forts, and create two water (or magma if I can find a way) spewing dwarven statues out front, ala Lord of the Rings style giant statues, with a raised fort that can only be accessed via a military encampment with a raised platform fort.

...why are you looking at me like that? I'm not crazy.  I'm not.
Oddly enough I find it weird that Dwarves currently cannot attain godhood.

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 07:42:29 am »

My current crazy project is building a gigantic bridge over a bay which spans almost 2 region tiles. It's incredibly boring, just a 9 by 892543 (Okay, I made that number up) floor, with a couple of supports every 11 tiles and a ceiling on top (the ceiling is also just a 9 by 892543 floor). So far, I've only done the southern section, which used about 13200 blocks to build. Actually, knowing that, if I do a few quick sums...

...okay, I think that the southern section of the bridge is roughly 730 tiles long.

Possessed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 09:41:06 am »

I like making temples and cathedrals to armok. Most of which require complex scaffolding and tons of gems/glass for windows. They take fucking forever to build though, but they are quite awesome when finished.
*meep*

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 09:46:04 am »

Also, my "ultimate dwarven doom" project will be used on the next map.  The project is fairly simple.  You've seen a cave in?  Ever seen a "field in"?  FOR THE ENTIRE MAP!?  ::insert deranged laughter here::
wasen't there a video about this ???
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 09:50:55 am »

I've never gotten far enough into the game to make awsome and unnessasary constructions, but I plan on changing that. My first idea, an elaborately trapped tomb for my leader, which streches up into the sky, and subjects those who try to intrude with water, magma, and floors that fall upon his head. I'll figure it out eventually... once I figure out how to use machines...
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

borninshadow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 10:08:41 am »

wasen't there a video about this ???

Quite possibly.  I'm still rather new, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone beat me to the punch  :P

-Aaron, rather nubbish in his own way

Edit: Ah ha!  You are right good sir! http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-614-levelcollapse  However, it could just be me, but I think his map is a little smaller than the ones I use.  It could just be me.

-Aaron, not sure of much at the moment
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 10:17:04 am by borninshadow »

Trelack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 11:31:38 am »

Quite possibly.  I'm still rather new, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone beat me to the punch  :P

-Aaron, rather nubbish in his own way

Edit: Ah ha!  You are right good sir! http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-614-levelcollapse  However, it could just be me, but I think his map is a little smaller than the ones I use.  It could just be me.

-Aaron, not sure of much at the moment

That map was just a 2x2 area. What I haven't done yet that occurred to me, is to get every level destroyed in the one go. You will notice in the video that the 2x2 stairway and all stairs on the edge were destroyed when they fell (as opposed to solid wall which just dropped a level), the same thing happens with just mined out sections. So if you mine out every floor (not just the bottom like I did) along with channelling out the sides you should get quite the pot-hole.

Picks.... bring lots of picks (I had 30 and needed more once I tried for the full collapse).

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 12:40:49 pm »

I've never gotten far enough into the game to make awsome and unnessasary constructions, but I plan on changing that. My first idea, an elaborately trapped tomb for my leader, which streches up into the sky, and subjects those who try to intrude with water, magma, and floors that fall upon his head. I'll figure it out eventually... once I figure out how to use machines...
"Awesome" and "unnecessary" are mutually exclusive.  Any good dwarf would know that ;D
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Trowa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 01:27:41 pm »

I figured my current project would fit in here, 10 floors up into the sky is where im building my city and i've almost finished off making most of the map cavein  ;D

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3346-bearshoot

I'll try to upload the newer version when i've got the time

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 01:54:30 pm »

I also heartily endorse combat bunkers, although I find it is best to leave doors out entirely and simply have a square wall with only access from below.

On the same map as the bunkers I had a wall that ran from one side of the map to the other, with gaps right by my town walls and lots of cage traps in the gaps. This resulted in a huge army of war gorillas (they literally rip of your arms and beat you to death with them) and a small execution chamber/arena where a titan a dragon and many goblins met their end. The drainage holes in the floor for blood worked fine but the cistern underneath never got any reasonable amount in it I believe this is not implemented.

On another map I made a giant medeival style keep with white stone walls and hardwood floors. Also before the mass building patch this turned out to be a massive waste of time :-)

Normally I just plan massive underground complexes with perfect symmetry arrayed in a district system to minimise travel. This works for workshops and the like but hauling is still a b***h. You can have a lot of fun with designing the nobles and military districts.

Oh I almost forgot my last fun project was on a mountain peak that overhung a magma vent. I made my entrance hall in the peak and put floodgates on both ends of the hall. There was a lever to close the gates blocking all the attackers in the hall and another that opened the floor of the hall causing everything to fall into the magma vent. This solved a lot of goblin rubbish cleaning jobs. I even considered moving my trade depot inside to get rid of unwanted caravans.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 05:43:26 am »

I made a huge dwarven crypt with capabilities for 100 dwarves, 10 tombs, and about 60 or so pets. I want to make a pyramid of some kind filled with traps as a dwarven tomb. It shall be a grand one with marble and dolomite ;)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3