Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarves harbor an illogical hatred of crocodiles  (Read 1362 times)

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarves harbor an illogical hatred of crocodiles
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:15:29 am »

So I have a fortress on a map that cuts into a swamp on the northwestern corner.  In that swamp, within one of the ponds, is a single crocodile.  Quite often, this croc will cause my fisherman to 'cancel task' - usually fishing, sometimes drinking water.  Not because the croc is attacking, but simply because - I assume - it startled him.  The croc, in the entire history of my fortress, has never once killed, injured, or harmed a single one of my dwarfs in any way.  Also, he has never left his pond.

Regardless, roughly 3/4ths of all the carvings in my fortress are an images of "a dwarf striking down a crocodile"

I fear this may be an unhealthy obsession.  :P

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: My dwarves harbor an illogical hatred of crocodiles
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:48:58 am »

At least they have a decorating theme.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:01:55 am »

Regardless, roughly 3/4ths of all the carvings in my fortress are an images of "a dwarf striking down a crocodile"

it should come from an other hystorical event, they don't engrave futur too much. just put in the init to show all historical events in fortress mode and you will se what they drowing ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 02:51:58 am »

Its an omen. KILL THE FELL BEAST!

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 03:47:35 am »

My dwarves harbor an illogical hatred of crocodiles

Illogical? Yes, because they're usually such fluffy, cuddly creatures. I also can't understand why your Dwarves would be scared of them. :<
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 04:19:40 am »

Well you know whats wierd about my engraver. He seems to be channeling my intense hatred of elves (i hate those hypocrites). Even though i have not yet siezed any or all of their caravan, don't even worry about me killing them (yet) my engraver makes about a fourth of his images as dwarves kicking elves asses. I like him, i should give him a good tomb for his work.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:45:43 pm by EvilCheerio »
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:05:39 am »

Lol. I don't really laugh out loud, but I found that rather amusing. there were no crocs in my swamp. A migrant hunter decided they would be fun to hunt and he's killed all of them by the time I knew they existed.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:17:25 pm »

it should come from an other hystorical event, they don't engrave futur too much. just put in the init to show all historical events in fortress mode and you will se what they drowing ...

Grand_Marquis cancels confusion: Advice.

Grand_Marquis: taking advice
Grand_Marquis is more experienced.

Ah ha, you are correct!  So, apparently four years before my dwarfs settled here, some dumb hero named Kubuk Hoodtowers went and killed a croc named Clappedwashes over in the Murk of Dabbling.  I suppose the creature killed some dwarfs, since he had a name.  Don't know anything else about it though.  Like why it's so important that they feel the need to carve the same thing eighty times.  Could the area really be that boring?  I almost prefer to imagine that my dwarfs all have issues, but this is a bit more logical I guess.

On a tangental topic: is there a way to see how many kills a dwarf or creature has after they're dead?  Like, hypothetically for instance, lets say you find the corpse of Carpy McDwarfkiller the Carp, killed by a lucky hit from a crossbow or something.  You know it has killed dwarfs because it's got a name, but you can't access its [v] screen anymore because it's dead. But you want to know exactly how badass it was.  What do you do?

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 10:22:28 pm »

Go look him up in Legends.

Also, they aren't engraving the same thing 80 times. They're giving you a blow-by-blow history of every battle.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 11:20:59 pm »

Heh, great, so they've done the equivalent of drawing a comic, but then went and scattered the pages throughout the fortress.

Guess they're big fans of puzzles.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 11:53:57 pm »

Heh, great, so they've done the equivalent of drawing a comic, but then went and scattered the pages throughout the fortress.

Guess they're big fans of puzzles.

no, dwarves just lack the ability to organize.

It explains alot.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 12:04:31 am »

4 Carp all named. Managed to burn through about 5 dwarves this morning before I got a handle on the situation. Go Crocs!
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.