Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My very first cave in...  (Read 1001 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
My very first cave in...
« on: August 18, 2008, 11:08:39 pm »

...just claimed two legendary miners.  I had some five odd newbies I wouldn't have minded loosing but noooo, had to be the legendaries.  My own damn fault for trying to build a perpetual motion waterfall/conservatorium/dining hall in one go without trying them out seperately first.  They died for a noble cause however.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My very first cave in...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 11:24:15 pm »

So, when something like that happens, do you keep going?  I always get discouraged after a disaster and start another fort.  I suspect it's fun not being such a perfectionist, though...

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:24:47 pm »

My current fortress has a moat (Had to, freaking zombie fire-imps and Skeletal elephants)  and I wanted to, later in the game once I got things working properly, to create a giant bridge to the edge of the map 1 z level up, using drawbridges, as a kind of "Come and get me goblins, now go flying across the map"  Kind of thing.  Great fun.

Anyway, I bootched the construction right out the gate, and dropped a floor tile down.  It managed to kill my Super-dwarf (appraiser/broker/architecht/legendary carpenter/great mechanic)  and push 3 other dwarves who where using the normal entrance into the moat.

Yea...  those 3 other dwarves weren't TOO important (a woodcutter, a fisher, and a soapmaker)  But still.. Dust clouds are probably the most dangerous thing in existance.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 11:40:46 pm »

So, when something like that happens, do you keep going?  I always get discouraged after a disaster and start another fort.  I suspect it's fun not being such a perfectionist, though...

This is the first fort where I gave up perfectionism and just did what I felt like.  While it did lead to two legendaries lost in a cave in, I'm still having loads of fun getting into the finicky bit of handling 80 dwarves and trying to keep no more then 20 standing around uselessly at a time.  So I'm not abandoning over this.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:45:20 am »

But still.. Dust clouds are probably the most dangerous thing in existance.
yeah... the earths grabby hands of death...
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 10:01:23 am »

It's pretty fun to have a noble drop a floor tile off a bridge, though. =D
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.