Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mmmm...Dead people  (Read 2858 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Mmmm...Dead people
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 07:17:42 am »

I alternate coffins and statues around my Trade Depot and along the main entry hall.  These are for the common dwarves and their pets...  and also lets any visitors to the fortress know that this is a working fortress and there's no easy living here. 

I also have a small 3x3 graveyard stockpile assigned outside, to help with quick cleanups after heavy fighting.  As often as not any dwarf corpses rest there for a while before they're brought into the fortress for final internment.

When my dwarves either earn a name or reach "legendary" status they earn personal tombs near the back of my living areas.  Truly heroic dwarves (heroic in that they impressed me) earn tombs in the living areas sited so that everyone going to the dining hall/zoo/well pass by and can remember.  Unless they didn't survive their heroic deed, in which case they get a room dressed out as a tomb but without it actually being "assigned" to them 'cos I can't.   ::)

Nobles get tombs in a room off their bedroom.  When the coffin is filled I de/reconstruct the tomb, throwing the bones in a common coffin in the hall and re-assign it to the replacement noble, along with the bedroom, office and dining room.   ;D  I don't really care if it gives their grieving lovers bad thoughts as they're almost invariably other nobles and I'll quite happily fill their coffins too!
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 08:35:54 am »

3x3 burial chambers for the starting 7. An extra few tiles of space for the expedition leader. 3x3 rooms for any legendary dwarves or champions.

A few big communal rooms, with different-coloured coffins per room if I can afford them. Elite-level soldiers go into the red coffin room. Recruits and normal-level soldiers go into the white room. Everyone else goes into the normal, bigger coffin room.

Pets? I just throw them into the refuse chamber and let them rot.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 01:53:06 pm »

I keep the catecombs close to the surface, close to the entrance.

Most deaths seem to occur out of doors, so this way the hauling job doesn't take too long.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 02:44:35 pm »

Anyone who doesn't have a tomb gets a rock sarcophagus somewhere.  I had a room or two of them, and when those got full I started to put them along the corridors and in spare corners and the like.  Pets got a separate cemetary of their own.  Tombs in the same general area as the commoners grave sites.  A graveyard stockpile outside for those occassions when there aren't any designated by unassigned coffins available.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 03:34:11 pm »

What would be awesome is if the sematery designated for your pets resurrected anything you buried there.  ;)

unknwnsoljer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 04:35:44 pm »

I have a row of coffins next to my magma pool. Dead dwarfs get their bones warmed in their everlasting rest.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 05:50:28 pm »

I try to build seven stone coffins in my first year. Just for the symbolism.

Sometimes I make annual group tombs. Make a room full of coffins. Engrave a quarter of it every season. When the new year starts, pull out the un-occupied coffins, and start the new one. This gives you an illustrated history of your fortress. Punctuated by dwarves embracing guppies and whatnot.

Psiclops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 06:20:30 pm »

I carve out a 3x hallway about 1 screen wide, then carve nooks into the walls for the coffins. Each Z level of this holds about 40 coffins, with a couple of extra large sized tomb rooms on the ends. I've just filled my second Z level... heh.

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 07:02:30 pm »

+Dwarf Totem+s are one of my major exports :) I have 9 tombs - one for each of my founds, 1 for brave Erist who ripped apart 2 fire imps with his bare hands before being burnt alive by a fire man and 1 for my legenday Wrestler/Swordsdwarf/Armour User/Shield User who has so far managed to singlehandedly turn back 5 ambushes and has an artifact idol with an image of her striking down an elven elite wrestler who was leading an ambush drawn on it in zinc.
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 08:15:15 pm »

At present, a bunch of low quality rock coffins in individual niches.  Dwarf dies, dwarf goes into the coffin; pet dies, pet's rotten corpse is hurled down the chasm when it starts to stink and gets noticed.
The nobles can claim they need a fancy tomb as much as they like, but it won't make it true.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 09:07:28 am »

In my current fort I've partially walled up the temporary living space I dug out when I first arrived and am placing any coffins in there. It's a true city of the dead. My Chief Nerd* just arrived and got the tomb made in the old barracks. Other tombs are the old dining room, the meganoble's** former office and the furniture store room. Of course, there is space for the jail complex on the same level.

In a former fort, I lined dug-out ore veins with coffins. I thought that was pretty neat.

*) Dungeon Master. Duh.
**) The guy I give social skills and Appraiser at embark and gets to hold all the noble positions and do odd jobs until i can spare more than one dwarf for such things.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 11:35:33 am »

For all the normal dwarves in my fort I have a tomb complex carved out of the cliffs.
The old complex is in a small depression in a 1 z level rise full of niches, and the new one is a sort of 4 level tube I found in the cliffs, which now has all the flimsy scaffolding up to the tombs.
All the important dorfs get a 3x3 smoothed and statued room, and particularly special dwarves or families get huge, custom tombs.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

SoylentNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • Drum Dependent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 01:49:46 pm »

Roadside graves on each side going towards the entrance and trade depot.  I like to think it scares off the timid...
"Soylent ninja is pirates!  Piraaaaaates!"
-McDoomhammer

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 02:05:08 pm »

From the title, I thought this thread was about necrophillia or cannibalism.

Anyways, I like housing dead dwarves in towers made of green glass with clear glass coffins.
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 03:52:41 pm »

I put my coffins in the dining room. Just cuz they're dead doesn't mean they don't want to party.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law
Pages: 1 [2] 3