Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mmmm...Dead people  (Read 2859 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Mmmm...Dead people
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:56:57 pm »

So, it's that time of year/day again. You've either had somebody die, or in the process of dieing and fatally bleeding (I had a dwarf once bleed out from spring to winter. It sucked.) How are you going to bury him? You can't just leave him out to rot (Though, that's just me.)Generally, I already have burial coffins marked out in nice underground tombs equipped with stone coffins. Other people simply toss them into graveyards, though this causes dwarves to tantrum, because, if someone just tossed your mom in a hole in front yard, what would you do? But, anyhow, how do you bury the dead?
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mmmm...Dead people
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 11:03:27 pm »

From the magma which we came,
to the magma we go,
for now until all time,
we commit this body to the earth.

*dumps body into magma pit*

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:05:51 pm »

Personally, I build immaculate golden tombs for the nobles. I make regular coffins for regular citizens. All tombs are 3x3s, just like bedrooms.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 11:06:14 pm »

I have a room full of coffins, right across from my HUGE noble tomb (seriously, Royal mausoleum, and I haven't even smoothed the walls or added fancy coffins yet...)

Although one of these days I'm just gonna say "Frig it all" And throw my nobles down a volcano.   So I suppose then I'll just the giant noble room for my coffins.  I set up 30 of the things early game, set them all for burial, and haven't let many dwarves die.  I should probably double check it to make sure I'm not running out of space, and then dump out the old buggers and re-use the coffins.  Cause I'm too lazy to have the masons make more.

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 11:07:57 pm »

I usually like to make it look quite nice. On my current fort, I carved a good number of burial chambers on level -10. They look like this :

Code: [Select]
#####
#ΩθΩ#
#...#
##.##

# = wall
. = floor
θ = rock coffin
Ω = rock statue
I must have something like 50 rooms like that. Something like half of them must be occupied...

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:14:01 pm »

Generally, I carved out about 6 burial chambers during the winter of the first year of this fort. The walls are all smoothed out, while the burial chamber of my current leader is nice and engraved, with a few gem set items stored here and there. with a population of 15, I don't think there will be any major need.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:26:48 pm »

burial chambers on level -10\

I always make my crypts way down deep, too.  So far I've been using a single, elaborate room with lots of coffins, but I might add individual tombs for my next fort.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 12:26:25 am »

If it's nobody special with no friends, i just dump them off the side of the keep's outer wall and leave it till the bones decay away.

And by nobody special with no friends, i mean one of a large group of migrants which i drop off the side of my 12 z-level tower. I really gotta make a video of it sometime. Last time i dropped 16 at once. A leg somehow made it up to the 8th floor of the tower.

I guess i'll eventually convert some levels of my mines into tombs for more important people. But i'm not nearly done with those mines yet.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 12:53:15 am »

I go with the magma cultists, but add a twist. I have my dead buried in coffins, and then have the coffins dumped into my volcano. I like to think that the Dwarves play bag-pipes until the casket heads down that last z-level into the bottomless pit that all volcanoes truly are.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 01:08:03 am »

I used to build a nice catacombs room for the commoners, and fancy individual tombs for the nobles/champions. Eventually I went to building a square room stuffed with graves for the commoners and smoothed square rooms for the nobles. A few fortresses later I started dumping the bodies into a single square pit and putting a floor over it, then removing the floor to dump new ones as more dwarves died.

Lately I've gotten lazy and I dump the bodies into the magma or bottomless chasm. If I don't have either I just smash them with a drawbridge. Amusingly enough, none of these options give a dwarf's friends sad thoughts and the sad thought nobles get for not having a tomb is small enough that it doesn't matter.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 01:32:47 am »

I like building twisted, tangled catacombs on the lowest level of the map.  But I usually don't get around to expanding them until I have bodies in need of burial, so there's often only skeletons left by the time the coffins are actually ready for use.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 05:09:01 am »

Hi!

Usually, I postpone burial chamber creation until the first casualty (noble tombs are a different story, of course).

I usually go for a double-engraved rectangular room (sometimes very long, with the door(s) in one of the short walls and the other three walls lined with statues and coffins.

Simple, but nice and efficient in my opinion.

Deathworks

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 05:27:34 am »

As soon as I have enough resources to spare (usually year 2 or 3) I dedicate a whole story as catacombs.

In it I create different "dead houses", one dedicated to the 7 founders of the fortress (each of them gets his own expensive tomb), another one dedicated to nobility (with the count and his spouse normally getting a large tomb with 11*11 diameter) then one for the legendary dwarves (who also, each gets his own tomb) and finally the tombs for the normal dwarves (a small room with a doort and a coffin dedicated for burial) as well as a separate dead house for the pets (which contains coffins in niches, dedicated for pet burial).

Sometimes, instead of using a underground story for this purpose I erect a building above the ground as a resting place for the dead.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:30:13 am by Proteus »

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 05:48:17 am »

If I have magma, I make large rooms full of coffins that I fill with magma when they are full of bodies.

Otherwise I just put coffins wherever my 3x3 bedrooms won't fit, or dig long hallways and line them with tombs.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 06:33:03 am »

Code: [Select]

###########..###########
#0#0#0#0#0#..#0#0#0#0#0#
#.#.#.#.#.#..#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#..#.#.#.#.#.#
#.........D..D.........#
#.#.#.#.#.#..#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#..#.#.#.#.#.#
#0#0#0#0#0#..#0#0#0#0#0#
###########..###########

# = wall
. = floor
0 = coffin
D = door

This is the design I use for my current fortress. Simple, communal burial chambers on the lowest z-level, design expandable in all dimensions as needed. At the very end I've built a special room filled with coffins for pet burial only - the regular chambers are for citizens only. Everything is smoothed but not engraved, since I keep expanding it. I may add a single engraving on the tile next to each coffin, or on the wall behind it, to memorate each fallen dwarf.

Nobles' tombs are planned for the opposite side of the central staircase and will obviously be more extravagant. I usually keep them rather simple as well though, usually 2x3 with engravings floors and walls carved by a legendary engraver. Statues of precious metals are added as needed.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.
Pages: [1] 2 3