Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mmmm...Dead people  (Read 2862 times)

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mmmm...Dead people
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 06:51:48 pm »

Must make for a fun and bright mealtime :P
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 06:55:10 pm »

I just started making my catacombs... a winding passage of graves, statues, armor stands, weapon racks, and random engravings on unmined pillars. I'm smoothing all the walls, but not the floors, because I like how it looks. The only finishing touch will be to dump out all the stone in there... which will... take time. It's gotten quite big, and has 83 coffins in it. Arriving nobles will get their own custom and decorated chambers carved out in the same area.

I have a hall near the main-drag of my fort with tombs for my starting 7... I was careless, and I've lost one already in year 4 to a goblin ambush. She saw a thief, panicked and ran outside into the waiting bow-gobbers. She and her husband were my fort's best carpenters, with her being near-legendary and him apprenticing under her tutelage. I sigh a little every time I order up a new batch of barrels, it must be hard on him, since that's likely how they met.

I hadn't thought of entombing anyone who hits legendary, I need to get on that. After all, I'm planning on pampering my nobles, so it's only just that I give just deserts to those whose labor makes it all possible.

Also, Hellzon, thanks for the ore vein idea, I think those will become Auxilliary catacombs. I hit a crap ton of Lignite and Bituminous coal in year 2, and have been wondering what to do about the massive scars they've left in my fort.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 07:06:35 pm »

I put my coffins in the dining room. Just cuz they're dead doesn't mean they don't want to party.

That should be fun when necromancers visit your fortress and raise your dead in a future release.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 10:28:51 pm »

I just dump coffins randomly around my mined out areas or if I've got too much dwarfpower on my hands, on top of tall 1x1 pillars around the outside of my fort entrance.

As for the lingering terminally bleeding dwarfs, the system where sleeping dwarfs set off traps can be used to kill any perpetually bedridden dwarf quickly by replacing their bed with a stone fall or weapons trap. I just did that to a soap maker that was shot by goblins and wouldn't stop complaining about it several times a frame.  ;D

Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

ByDurinsBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 02:15:18 am »

I use a catacomb approach too, with the usual noble tombs (size varies) / commoner burial rooms (1x1 blocked by a door). It is placed at the bottommost level of my city's central shaft, opposite the temple of Armok. I've tried to figure some sort of "burial service" but I've settled on the dead being stockpiled at the temple before they're hauled off to their coffins.

I once planned on having a "waterworks" level even further down, for piping water and magma, but I noticed that U-bends combined with floodgates plays havoc with water pressure, which resulted my underground farm not getting any water. (Since, I have learned not to route my water far down and back up by pressure alone).

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 03:06:01 am »

Code: [Select]
+++++++++++++++
+M+++++++++++M+
++++S+S+S+S++++
+++##8###8##+++
++M#+++#+++#M++
+++8+0+#+0+8+++
++M#+++#+++#M++
+++##8###8##+++
++++S+S+S+S++++
+M+++++++++++M+
+++++++++++++++

Key:
+- Floorspace (Engraved)
#- Wall (Engraved
8 - Clear Glass Window
0 - Clear Glass Coffin
S - Stone Statue
M - Metal Statue

Since I'm in a forest with sand, magma, and tons of magnetite, my crypts for my current fort are quite exceptional. With the exception of the two oldest tombs, every coffin in clear glass so that the reletives of the deceased can pay their respects to the corpse, and so that my citizens can learn from the mistakes of those who died before.

Indeed, in death the majority of my citizens earn themselves a nickname, provided they didn't already have one from getting injured previously.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 04:16:44 am »

I put my coffins in the dining room. Just cuz they're dead doesn't mean they don't want to party.

That should be fun when necromancers visit your fortress and raise your dead in a future release.

Urist McZombi cancels eat brains going to party at the microlit table.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 06:45:14 am »

So, it's that time of year/day again. You've either had somebody die, or in the process of dieing and fatally bleeding (I had a dwarf once bleed out from spring to winter. It sucked.) How are you going to bury him? You can't just leave him out to rot (Though, that's just me.)Generally, I already have burial coffins marked out in nice underground tombs equipped with stone coffins. Other people simply toss them into graveyards, though this causes dwarves to tantrum, because, if someone just tossed your mom in a hole in front yard, what would you do? But, anyhow, how do you bury the dead?

Is something wrong with me if I at first thought he was talking about real life?
Pages: 1 2 [3]