Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tactical RPGs  (Read 5642 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical RPGs
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 01:08:23 pm »

Jagged Alliance 2 sounds pretty cool.  I've heard a lot about it over the years, but never played it - I'll have to try it.

What about fantasy-based tactical RPGs?  I keep hearing that Disgaea is really awesome, but I believe it is for PSP only. Most are only avaliable on a hand-held, are there any for the PC?

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 01:51:06 pm »

Just a reminder to NOT buy JA2 on Steam!

Disgaea (and the other Nippon Ichi games like La Pucelle and Phantom Brave) are PS2 games. They are really fun but sort of open in their difficulty in that you can stumble into level 80 enemies pretty quick. Or get a character up to level 9999 and have them do billions of points of damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHnYIqdZL6k&feature=related

They also have versions of the games on PSP but they tend to run like garbage.
Actually the SS engine was decent, because of the destructable terrain. JA2 is really missing that part.

Oh no complaints about the SS engine here. Just the storyline/tech level.

Nothing like stealthing in, identifying the building the bad guys are holed up in, planting mines on every single window and door, then shooting out a trapped window to start the chain reaction.  :D

Then again, JA2 runs decently on my crappy laptop, unlike SS, so it's great for killing time in airports and such.
I just wish SS had the ability to scale walls! But yeah, rigging exits to blow, using spotters to have your sniper shoot enemies thru three walls, and just the general ability to own and control a situation made that game great.

Also, crawling out of the ceiling and killing the last member in a patrol and dragging him back upstairs before his allies turn around.
All games need destructable terrain.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:58:43 pm by smeej »
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

smeej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 01:56:55 pm »

DOUBLE POST.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 03:04:14 pm »

Actually the SS engine was decent, because of the destructable terrain. JA2 is really missing that part.
um... I might be wrong (as it has been quite some time since I played), but while JA2 didn't have deformable terrain (does SS have that?), you could still destroy walls, doors and other such stuff (with heavy explosives that is. Ah Grunty and a mortar are less then 3  8)).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 04:03:09 pm »

Also, the makers of SS are developing JA3.

Let's hope for the best!

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 07:32:53 pm »

Wow, I just found out there was an Ogre Battle 64 and Gamespot gave it a 9.1.  Sounds even better than the original.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 10:00:12 pm »

Wow, I just found out there was an Ogre Battle 64 and Gamespot gave it a 9.1.  Sounds even better than the original.

It's *extremely* good. Nostalgia dictates that I should like the original more, but this isn't the case (though I liked it immensely.)

I personally love the psuedo turn-based/RTS nature of Ogre Battle games. The fact that units move very slowly compared to an RTS allows a lot more strategy- back-attacks, ambushes with forests and so on.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 10:05:30 pm »

Did anyone mention the disgaea series yet?

If not... There... Go google for it.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 11:35:44 pm »

It's *extremely* good. Nostalgia dictates that I should like the original more, but this isn't the case (though I liked it immensely.)

I personally love the psuedo turn-based/RTS nature of Ogre Battle games. The fact that units move very slowly compared to an RTS allows a lot more strategy- back-attacks, ambushes with forests and so on.
Yeah, OB64 also wins as a more approachable game. No infinite healing units forever or hyperimpossible maps! Plus, making a dragoon rules and there are actually a lot of really cool endings that make it worth playin thru a dozen times.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 12:09:47 am »

I've got ogre Battle, but I loved Ogre Tactics so much more, which is odd considering I got it long after I got final fantasy tactics, which is just ogre tactics with less tactics.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 06:57:27 am »

Just a reminder to NOT buy JA2 on Steam!

If you are stuck with JA2 on Steam, apparently you can install the JA2v113 mod over that and get most of the bugs fixed.

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=57712&page=1

smeej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 11:37:19 am »

Thank you! I knew this was possible but I couldn't find the information anywhere. I award thee +1 internet.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 12:59:59 pm »

I really enjoyed "fallout tactics" but its a lot more tactics than rpg.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 02:07:33 pm »

I've got ogre Battle, but I loved Ogre Tactics so much more, which is odd considering I got it long after I got final fantasy tactics, which is just ogre tactics with less tactics.

"Let Us Cling Together" (another Queen song...) for the PSX, or "The Knight of Lodis" (I think) for the GBA?

The PSX one isn't bad at all... but I think I prefer the GBA one to it. They're both incredible games, though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 02:44:07 pm »

Yeah, I liked the GBA one too. I'd really like an RTS for the GBA though (don't get me started on Mech Platoon - that one's thirty-two kinds of awful). I don't understand, what prevented them from porting Dune 2 or Herzog Zwei to it?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 [2] 3