Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What a dwarf!  (Read 1577 times)

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What a dwarf!
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:09:35 pm »

I'd like to introduce you all to Reg Zegmeng.  She was a clothier, drafted into my fledgling dwarven military upon arriving at the fortress (honestly, mainly so that my pre-existing swordsdwarf would have some unimportant training fodder).

After a little bit of training, these are Reg's stats:

And Reg's equipment:

Oh, and did I mention?  Reg had an infant shortly after arriving, which she carries around everywhere.

Reg, then, would appear to be just a slightly below average military dwarf- with average skills, only leather armor, and an infant on her arm, Reg is really intended to play only a supporting role.  But there's apparently more to Reg than meets the eye... she's also incredibly stupid, and very stubborn.  I haven't kept a lot of booze on hand:  I know, in theory, how to ensure that I always have barrels available for brewing, but I simply haven't bothered to ensure a steady supply.  I built a nice indoor pond, with a well, for drinking and fishing- and I really do mean it's fairly nice.  It's surrounded by smooth floors, and placed at the center of a workshop area, so my busy dwarves never have to go far for a drink.  But Reg ignores its presence altogether, and continues to go to the distant brook (on nearly the opposite side of my map) to fill her waterskin.

Now, let me begin to tell another story:  the story of Abli Firegolds, the Gem of Fortunes.  Dragon.  Abli Firegolds is the first semimegabeast (that is what dragons are, right?) that I've ever encountered in DF mode, mostly because I tend to keep populations low (both because I don't like peasants, and because I get endless pleasure from creating neat dwarf killing mechanisms- or, often, goblin killing mechanisms which I simply can't resist testing out on a peasant or two).  I was thrilled when I saw him, because my first line of defense is a maze filled with cage traps (and switches which raise iron bars, so that a large group following the same path will be redirected by suddenly raised bars to a new path, and therefore fresh cage traps), and I though that I was about to snare a dragon for my arena (I like to watch tame animals and goblins go toe-to-toe.  Sometimes I let a goblin escape, if he manages to kill a lot of my animals)- a goal second only to snagging a giant cave spider (I have so longed for that!).  When I saw Abli unleash his first breath attack on a wandering herbalist... I was giddy with excitement.  A huge swath of burned ground!  The herbalist escaped, which was somewhat disappointing, but Abli continued his slow march towards my cage traps.  When suddenly...

Reg had been filling her waterskin at the brook again, and had set back towards the fortress.  Her path intersected with the pat of Abli.  Why a new dwarven mother, carrying her infant on her arm, would charge a dragon- alone- I may never understand.  But that's just what Reg did.  And to my astonishment, Reg, the slightly below average swordsdwarf, who had never killed anything, singlehandedly, without injury, and without ever putting down her baby, slew Abli Firegolds, the Gem of Fortunes.  She slew him dead. 

I can't decide whether to execute her for killing my prospective pet, or build a massive monument in her honor.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 05:12:28 pm by Randy Gnoman »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: What a dwarf!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 05:14:55 pm »

1) Dragons are megabeasts
2) You can't tame them as far as I'm aware (except maybe with the dungeonmaster/whatever he's called)
3) Dragons aren't really all that useful in a fight anyway, as demonstrated by the fact that a single dwarf killed it.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 05:15:58 pm »

Do both, namely a massive monumental tomb for when you kill her. (let the baby live, somehow, maybe by caging her and letting the baby go, i think thats the way to do it)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:33:15 pm »

you can get her (and everyone else) to drink from your stream by going into "o"rders menu, then "z"one activities, and lastly (i can't remember the hotkey for this one) setting them to drink zone water only.
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:41:30 pm »

They've been set to zone only drinking since the pond was built; I can only imagine that she must have some mysterious negative preference, unless wells can only be used by one dwarf at a time, in which case she probably just decided to walk to the brook because somebody else was getting a drink.

I have the dungeon master, but I actually wasn't hoping to tame the dragon, just to dump him into a pit and throw animals/peasants in every now and then for a laugh.

Doesn't caging a dwarf require modding DF?

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 05:46:53 pm »

Dragons can be tamed with the dungeon master. They make a nice goblin prisoner disposal unit or a grand addition to a zoo.  :)
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:29:43 pm »

I've read making them go to sleep on a cagetrap makes them get caged (or on a spike, spiked, i assume).
Don't hold me to it though, haven't tried it myself.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 08:29:13 pm »

I've read making them go to sleep on a cagetrap makes them get caged (or on a spike, spiked, i assume).
Don't hold me to it though, haven't tried it myself.

I can attest to traps springing on stupid dwarfs who decide to sleep on them.  That's what I get for forgetting to set up a barracks early on. I imagine such a thing will happen with any type of trap, but you'd want to back up your game first - it's not the cage trap's intended purpose and therefore might be buggy.

Randy, that story is great.  Either the dragon was the biggest lame-o wannabe megabeast ever, or Reg is the most naturally-gifted badass in all of Dwarfdom.  I'd like to imagine it's the latter.

Funny thing:  it seems like Dwarfs named Reg have a tendency to be best.  I always appear to end up with at least one notable Reg per fortress.  Must be a really common name..  Is it androgynous?  That could be a reason.  I can never tell.  Males and Females in DF seem to follow Terry Pratchett's theories on dwarven society.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:38:15 pm »

I had a similar experience...

Except my dwarf used 2 =Obsidian Short Sword=s

I never did figure out how she carried the baby around as well....

(and my dragon happened to be crippled...  I coulda sent my clerk out to wrestle it to death.)

But really nice storytelling!  Such a shame about the dragon though.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 12:23:23 am »

I had a similar experience...

Except my dwarf used 2 =Obsidian Short Sword=s

I never did figure out how she carried the baby around as well....

(and my dragon happened to be crippled...  I coulda sent my clerk out to wrestle it to death.)

But really nice storytelling!  Such a shame about the dragon though.

2nd sword is a spare, not duel wielded.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 07:12:28 am »

Ah, that's what some martial arts schools have been teaching - a short, average lady who's trying to protect her baby will instantly become a dragon-slaying swordsmaster. Well, it's a bit of an exaggeration, but same principle.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 07:32:07 am »

Good story...btw my suggestion is: modify your game. My megabeasts are all SIZE 50 for example + Ive modified damblock / attack values etc.
Trust me, its much more harder to kill them compared to the vanilla megabeasts...you wont see 1 dwarf killing a megabeast very often.  ;D
I think its making no sense that some average little dwarf is "soloing" a dragon in the vanilla game.  ::)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 07:34:32 am »

will it help the kills come from chriticals?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 02:43:02 pm »

1) Dragons are megabeasts
2) You can't tame them as far as I'm aware (except maybe with the dungeonmaster/whatever he's called)
3) Dragons aren't really all that useful in a fight anyway, as demonstrated by the fact that a single dwarf killed it.

You can tame Dragons, they're kinda cool when they're wandering around your fortress docile.

But, as it tried to attack one of your dwarves, it could never be tamed, it had already tried to kill a Dwarf. So basically, even if you did capture it, you'd have to kill it anyway (PITDROP!!!) but, now you have the glory of a Dragon Slayer in your midst!
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 08:57:26 pm »

I thought a creature needed to kill a dwarf before it became untamable?