Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New Core items!  (Read 4124 times)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Core items!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 03:00:31 pm »

so far so good, but the core 40=60 page hasn't been updated. I still needs core 53-60.

Keep up the good work!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 03:11:20 pm »

They're all there. Hit ctrl-F5, you're probably looking at your cache.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 03:29:21 pm »

Core85, CHOP, DIG, BUILD!, (Future): Chop down trees, dig channels, mine into a cliff face, build whatever structure you have the patience for. Your efforts should be saved as a proper site or at least some similar notion (whatever inns and so on along roads end up using), and the contents should remain relatively undisturbed with proper precautions.

Oh ... oh ... oh my.  Oh my.  Want.  SO BAD.   ;D ;D ;D
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Lavastine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 12:32:35 am »

Toady, have you thought about spending a couple releases just fleshing things out that are already there? Like doing more stuff with the personalities and friendships, adding in more diverse dialogues for adventure mode, expanding the stuff you can craft and do with power from windmills and such?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 02:18:41 am »

i think this will be the intantion of more raws. if we can mod it at least Toady don't need to
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 02:52:08 am »

Core64, INDIVIDUAL AFFILIATIONS ...and though they'll start it world gen...

Start in world gen perhaps?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 09:08:29 am »

Holy crap! Holy crap! Holy crap! *faints in excitement*
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 09:18:20 am »

Could future wounds involve hitting major artterys?

Yeah, this is one of those things languishing right now on dev_single.  I think it's sort of part of one of the power goals going up soon (there are still about 20 that need to be cleaned up and posted), but it involved an artery that is ruptured rather than extreme spraying.  I don't see how we can last forever without spraying though.

Oooh oooh, can we have witch burnings too? Perhaps some sort of randomized heresy aspect to the religions?

Yet another dev_single languisher from the old Armok notes (ctrl+f "burnings").  There's a power goal (84) called Kill the Witch that doesn't even reference burnings!  Heresy might be most fun when the laws are fleshed out more beyond the simple ethical framework stuff that's in for civ entities now -- then a site's laws could just as well be applied to religious conduct, but enforcement would require just a bit more tinkering since the site's have guards dedicated to that, where in most religions regular people would be responsible for more of it (of course spotting regular site crimes floats that way too).  As I do the required site stuff, we'll see what happens...  I imagine it'll be a fluid process that will have all sorts of bloats tacked on, but since it'll be a while it's hard to say what they'll be.

Toady, have you thought about spending a couple releases just fleshing things out that are already there? Like doing more stuff with the personalities and friendships, adding in more diverse dialogues for adventure mode, expanding the stuff you can craft and do with power from windmills and such?

It's often on my mind, but I'm usually caught between extending the skeleton of the game and patching up bugs/the interface.  Instead I get a catalog of Reqs and Bloats that I hardly ever check off which generally fit into this sort of flesh-out-the-skeleton work (with ~500 more to be added whenever I find time to write them up -- maybe I should just do some instead, he he he).  Yet the idea of the v1/not v1 split is to delineate where meat/skin needs to be on the bones before more skeleton is produced, vaguely.  As a perpetual alpha, there can be a kind of general dissatisfaction with available features/balance/accessibility, and it would be nice to attack that a bit.  Now that I've finally got the 100 Core items laid out, the picture is a bit more clear to me now, and hopefully the skeleton, meat and skin can all start to converge at that intermediate destination.

Still, it'll be hard -- the Core items are much more exciting and personally rewarding to work on, and the bugs/problems come with much more immediacy attached to them.  It's somewhat tragic that there hasn't been a single new basic item or building type added this year, stuck mostly on world gen as I was.  Some of the things you mentioned (eg friendship, under love and romance -- when I mentioned "love of all sorts" I was referring in part to things such as "brotherly love"/friendship/family as driving forces for stories, and this would come up in dwarf mode) occur as parts of Core items, at least, so you can count on a few things being accomplished before I start freaking out at 0.99.181.40a.

Interestingly, the Core completed number has actually been going up slowly in comparison to Reqs, but I think that's partially because all the stuff I was working on for the passed year and a half (world gen + Z) was vastly under-Core'd in the dev notes.  With these latest dev additions, I'm hoping I can chip away at it more regularly but it's difficult to tell how it'll play out.

--

Thanks for the typo spots.  They've been repaired for the next dev html build.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 09:29:10 am »

Toady, shouldn't you be going to bed?  Seriously, your sleep pattern makes me cringe every time I think about it.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 09:43:42 am »

One thing I searched for and couldn't find in the Core notes is "retiring" a fortress, i.e. stop playing it without it crumbling to nothingness. I don't really care if it behaves sensibly in adventure mode or if it can be restarted at a later date, or what - I just want to a way to stop playing a fortress gracefully. I know this has been talked about a lot and I assume it'll be a mess anyway it's handled, but as long as fortress mode has no way to not lose I'd argue that it's fundamentally flawed. Unless there's a philosophical point about exploitation of nature and consumerism to be made there.. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 10:30:27 am »

Toady, shouldn't you be going to bed?  Seriously, your sleep pattern makes me cringe every time I think about it.
ToadyOne lives to make Dwarf Fortress ;D. (It is not like he are starving on all money that is donated :P.)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 11:24:38 am »

# Core90, PROPER KOBOLDS, (Future): Of course, this means different things to different people. To us, a proper kobold is neither a chihuahua man nor a mini-draconian, but instead sort of a small mammaloreptilian humanoid with pointy ears and yellow eyes with a penchant for trickery and mischief, context-based sublanguage, poisonous critter collection, traps and kleptomaniacal hoarding.

Time to mod in some Dograt men!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 04:54:11 pm »

The names of core items 97-100 are not in all caps like the rest are.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 06:39:36 pm »

Core66, HIDDEN FUN STUFF, (Future): No game is complete without it!

Get your kicks with Core 66.

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 08:59:13 pm »

I only see an improvement in 40a when it's not being taxed too heavily.

96 dwarves + breached HFS = 10 fps. Was probably ~8fps in 39f.
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)
Pages: 1 [2] 3