Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New Core items!  (Read 4122 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
New Core items!
« on: August 18, 2008, 11:00:58 am »

Needless to say that I am just thrilled!  ;D

I find these the most awesome:

Core62, FURTHER DIPLOMACY (Future): Diplomacy in dwarf mode could afford a lot of changes. Aside from trade agreements that are more interesting, fun to uphold and related to the state of the world, all sorts of relationships could be established with both neighboring civilizations and the parent civilization. Though we'll leave quite a bit of work for later versions, the system should be satisfying for version 1 as it merges with the caravan arc, wars, tribute and succession conflicts described in other v1 dev items.

Core72, ROBUST ATTRIBUTE SYSTEM, (Future): Attributes are a sad, sad placeholder right now. There should be more attributes, say those from Armok 1, and their development, to the extent that they change, should depend on use rather than random assignment. They should degrade slowly over time if left completely unused.

Core73, COMBAT OVERHAUL, (Future): This one is a bit vague, mostly because the Combat Arc is consists of so many small changes rather than some large additions. Aside from obvious changes to projectiles and the wrestling interface, skills could afford to overlap, attributes need to be associated to skills properly, skills could become rusty and ultimately degrade as in Armok 1, new general combat related skills can be added, styles/techniques for weapon/weaponless fighting roughly along the path Armok 1 had started, etc. As a dev item, this'll be done when combat more or less makes sense.

Core74, WOUND HANDLING, (Future): Wounds are dull right now and lead to at least one major problem (extreme and long-lasting phantom limb pain). Proper descriptions, scarring, infections and so on are in order here.

Core80, ARTIFACT MAGIC, (Future): An early angle on magic that should find its way into the game. Although ultimately influenced by world parameters, stock DF will likely focus on rare, unique, somewhat mysterious effects without tables, to the extent that that's possible. Some cliches are probably unavoidable, he he he. The artifact process is likely to be changed somewhat to align with this, and artifacts should be created in world-generation and elsewhere during play, though a good player artifact should still have high importance.

Core81, TRIBUTE, (Future): The tribute relationships established during world generation should be fleshed out there and then brought into regular play with tribute being transported across the map. These could also occur as part of dwarf mode diplomacy and dwarf mode world map play.

Core85, CHOP, DIG, BUILD!, (Future): Chop down trees, dig channels, mine into a cliff face, build whatever structure you have the patience for. Your efforts should be saved as a proper site or at least some similar notion (whatever inns and so on along roads end up using), and the contents should remain relatively undisturbed with proper precautions.

Core92, APPEARANCE VARIABLES/DESCRIPTIONS, (Future): This is especially relevant for individualizing civilized critters you meet, but important elsewhere as well, and will be the springboard for randomly-generated beasties and other stuffs.

Core93, RANDOMIZED MEGABEASTS AND POWERS, (Future): (Semi)megabeasts and powers can be randomly generated, in accordance with existing local belief structures or regional sphere alignments when that goes in. The degree of randomization should depend on world parameters so that stock creatures can still be used. Requires Core92.

Core94, RANDOMIZED REGIONS AND THEIR FLORA/FAUNA, (Future): The current good/evil regions should be scrapped and replaced by a system that aligns a region to varying degrees with a set of spheres. In this way you could end up with a desert where the stone sing or a forest where the trees bleed, with all sorts of randomly generated creatures and plants that are appropriate to the sphere settings. It's important that randomly generated objects be introduced to the player carefully during play rather than just being thrown one after another to allow for immersion, though there's also something to be said for cold dumping the player in a world with completely random settings, provided they can access enough information by looking/listening and having conversations, etc. Requires Core92.

Core95, RANDOMIZED ENTITIES AND CIVILIZED CREATURES, (Future): As a further project of random generation, an entire entity definition complete with creature definitions, items, etc. could be generated and introduced into the world. As with other random settings, the degree to which this process is used would depend on world generation parameters, and the generation procedures would be accessible through raw objects. Requires Core93 and Core94.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: New Core items!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 11:10:22 am »

the Combat Arc is consists of so many small changes

More evidence that I should be sleeping right now...  let me know when you find more typos...  if you hit the ?0000 character limit per post, you can go ahead and break up the typos into multiple posts and double post...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:13:04 am »

While I like the idea of bleeding tree regions(Oh, imagine the beds made from those things! Singing stone floodgates! Metals that are lighter than air!), I would prefer that most regions are 'normal.' Perhaps like how evil regions are placed now, there could be regions where special things happen. You can't just have a world where everything bleeds for some unknown reason.

Then again...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 11:15:42 am »

the Combat Arc is consists of so many small changes

More evidence that I should be sleeping right now...  let me know when you find more typos...  if you hit the ?0000 character limit per post, you can go ahead and break up the typos into multiple posts and double post...

Ah oki, if I find typos, I will post about them in this topic. Others should do the same.  :)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 11:22:51 am »

these are even better idees we migth imagine
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:25:25 am »

Personally, with custom parameters, it'd be awesome to have the entire world be a horrible hellhole, where everything lives in misery and pain, even the very mountains themselves screaming in agony. And then some dwarves go carve one of them into the shape of a giant hand with the middle finger raised, just because they can.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:26:16 am »

While I like the idea of bleeding tree regions(Oh, imagine the beds made from those things! Singing stone floodgates! Metals that are lighter than air!), I would prefer that most regions are 'normal.' Perhaps like how evil regions are placed now, there could be regions where special things happen. You can't just have a world where everything bleeds for some unknown reason.

Then again...

Yeah, the general idea is to replace evil/good regions with the noticeable outliers on these (a few other regions might get smaller settings for those spheres where we think of and put minor, minor effects in, even if it's just to change the name and make it just a little fitting), but more importantly for the concern here, it'll all be world gen param'd (as in the evil/good tile counts we've got now, though the replacement system will need a new interface since there are already 100+ spheres, and just listing out all the combinations would be silly).  Anyway, should be cool, but an everlasting project, sort of like putting in new personality effects.  It's part of that old "atmosphere" system I had wanted for armok 1, but I might actually be able to take a stab at it this time...  you could make every region in the world aligned with music and color, or whatever...  hopefully then you'd have brightly colored squirrels singing about rainbows...  well, I guess music+color doesn't mean the squirrels would talk.  That would take something additional that might not necessarily be sphere-based, maybe a strong speech/rhetoric sphere alignment could trigger that on occasion...  once/if we've got those.

Watch me sleep, it's pretty cool...  I guess the 88F is still messing with me.  Have to unglue myself from the seat and slurp off to bed.  It's like being on Mercury.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:26:54 am »

Toady, 1 link is not working in dev now:

08/17/2008: New one's up. If there are problems, I'll try to take care of them and post a fixed version by the 21st, after which the month-end break begins. The new dev items are up, specifically Core items up to 100 and some new PowerGoals.

If you click on dev items [highlighted] -> The webpage cannot be found

Well no biggie, but you might want to fix it.  :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:33:01 am »

Okay, I fixed the link...  from bed, figuratively.

"desert where the stone sing"...  stones is probably better.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 11:42:22 am »

The new core things are really cool. I'm surprised that all of this is going to be required for v1, but... hey, it's not like anyone thought it was coming out soon anyway.

Core86, ADVANCED ADVENTURER SKILLS, (Future): Virtually every job available in dwarf mode should be available to you as an adventure...

That should probably be "adventurer", though it's not necessarily wrong as it stands.

I highly approve of both Core 88 and 91; 88 for MORE CANNIBALISM (which, obviously, there cannot be too much of), and 91 because it seems to be a tacit endorsement this thread (or at least the principle behind it), which is itself rad.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 12:01:57 pm »

Could future wounds involve hitting major artterys?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 12:33:15 pm »

At http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
only the first three pages of core components are listed.
You need links for components 61-80 and 81-100.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 12:39:38 pm »

Core61, ADVENTURER ENTITIES, (Future): Your adventuring group deserves entity status, as it's quite possibly one of the most important groups in all of history. This will activate all of the entity vs. entity and individual vs. entity mechanics in the game and allow you to establish your place in the world as army/entity changes allow you to delegate orders to subordinates and so on. It would be possible for the group to persist between games and adventurers, perhaps even harassing a new fortress when bandits are put in.

Ok, this sounds way cooler here than it did in the Future of the fortress. I can't wait for this now :)

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 12:57:21 pm »

It all looks very exciting.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 01:48:07 pm »

A recipe for greatness.

I like this one:
Core83, ARREST AND PUNISHMENT, (Future): The guards shouldn't just kill you. You have rights, sort of. It's important that there are jails and dungeons and executions, anyway. The guards will need to arrest you to put you into the system, and once you've been arrested there are various delicate steps that need to be performed properly for everything work out. Whatever happens in adventure mode should be tied back in to dwarf mode. If this includes beard-shaving, well, you'd better just obey the law.

Imagine getting caught by the guards after whatever and getting tossed into a dark and slimy dungeon after a little beating. Then it's just a wait for the show trial to start before the summary punishment, selected from a varied menu. They had a lively imagination for this sort of stuff back in the dark ages, so it shouldn't be difficult to find references to any number of exotic methods on the webs.

Oooh oooh, can we have witch burnings too? Perhaps some sort of randomized heresy aspect to the religions?
Pages: [1] 2 3