Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with my new creature.  (Read 940 times)

Gargantou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need help with my new creature.
« on: August 18, 2008, 09:59:39 am »

Need some help with my new creature, hoping to make it a playable civ but not sure if I can, basically I'm making an "Adamantium race" called "Adamants", my base is the elemental creatures ala iron man. Here's what I've gotten so far.

creature_adamant

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:ADAMANT]
   [NAME:adamant:adamants:adamantian]
   [TILE:'A'][COLOR:3:7:1]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [BENIGN]
   [CANOPENDOORS]
   [PREFSTRING:simple appearance]

[BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE]
   [SIZE:7]
   [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
   [NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOBREATHE][NOBLEED][NOSTUN][NONAUSEA][NOEMOTION][MAGMA_VISION]
      [NOSTUCKINS][SEVERONBREAKS][NOSKULL][NOSKIN][NOBONES][NOMEAT][NOTHOUGHT][NOEXERT]
   [NOSMELLYROT]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:5:20:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [DAMBLOCK:60]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]

I was wondering is there a way to create a playable race that doesn't reproduce?

Micr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with my new creature.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 02:41:45 pm »

Well, there is a part in the dwarf code that goes like this: [CHILD:12][BABY:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]

I think if you turn [BABY:1] to [BABY:0] it might keep them from reproducing. But I'm only guessing, don't depend on it!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 02:45:18 pm »

Well, there is a part in the dwarf code that goes like this: [CHILD:12][BABY:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]

I think if you turn [BABY:1] to [BABY:0] it might keep them from reproducing. But I'm only guessing, don't depend on it!
No.
That's the age that they change from baby to child.
The other number is the age they turn from child to adult.
I'm not sure how to make them not have babies.
[BABY:0] means they'll be born as children.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Micr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:49:04 pm »

Oh, sorry 'bout that. Maybe if you just remove all of the child tags? I honestly have no idea, I'm just giving suggestions.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

I think getting rid of all the child tags will do it; or, if all else fails, adding [NO_GENDER] will almost certainly castrate your race.

Keep in mind that, if they can't have children, there'll only be ten creatures per adamant civilization (about thirty total, if you keep the relevant entity tag from the dwarfs) throughout the entire history of your worlds, making them very vulnerable to wars and such. It might also affect the immigrants to your forts, but I'm not entirely sure about that.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:26:43 pm »

Just give them access to insanely powerful weapons and armors and they will be fine with 10. Though, that is awfully low.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 09:15:53 pm »

If you increase the [START_GROUP_NUMBER:XX] tag you can choose the amount of creatures that come into existence. This can allow you to have a super-powerful race that doesn't breed, yet they could still have enough to actually survive world-gen. Of course, they will still be slain by the random passing peasant. ;D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DJ_Muffinman

• Bay Watcher
  • Awwwww...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 11:23:13 pm »

They could definitely be a playable civ in adventure mode. You just add the adventure tier (number) tag to them, though to make them playable in fortress mode is a different story.
The way i see it being done is editing the creature_standard and entity_standard entries for 'dwarf' to reflect those of your new race.  Though if you changed the name from 'dwarf' to 'Adamants', then I think there'd be a LOT of editing to do in the other raw files. At least that way, the Max baby Population option in the init file would affect their reproduction.
Keeping them from reproducing at all seems like a bad idea, as some have already stated, they would not increase in numbers in the worldgen and probably die off...unless you gave them immortality or something. =]
Kill a Bear

Live to Brag

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 12:52:32 am »

If you change the DWARF to something else, you'll only need to tweak entities file, not "a LOT".

If you remove child/baby tags they shouldn't reproduce.
NO_GENDER works 100%.

START_GROUP_NUMBER suggestion is right.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DJ_Muffinman

• Bay Watcher
  • Awwwww...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 02:52:35 am »

If you change the DWARF to something else, you'll only need to tweak entities file, not "a LOT".

If you remove child/baby tags they shouldn't reproduce.
NO_GENDER works 100%.

START_GROUP_NUMBER suggestion is right.
Oh. =0

=3
Kill a Bear

Live to Brag