Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I think i speak for everyone when i say  (Read 2623 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Re: I think i speak for everyone when i say
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 01:00:48 am »

I tried to make a world where every location would be flat like in the original. Yet, to make a playable world you need a dwarven civ, and to have a dwarven civ you need mountains, and therefore high elevations. Unless there's some way to make some very few mountainous spots on the land but the rest of the land does not vary more than 2 levels then I'm not sure such an embark location could be made.

Can anyone do this using the world paint tool?

This was the experiment I tried to make a flat world:

First I made the elevation range from 1 - 3 (levels 1-2 for rivers/oceans, 2-3 for diggable land).  It said it couldn't make enough mid-level elevations. So I turned this off. Then it said it couldn't make enough mountains. So I turned them off (min = 0). Then it said it couldn't make as many river start points as mountains, so I turned rivers off (min = 0). Then it said it couldn't make a playable dwarf race without mountains. So I made the range 1 to 400 again, but made the elevated weighted ranges 1 for the lowest and highest, and 0 for all others. It managed to make a pocket world this time, so I searched for a location that had a river, underground river, magma pipe, and chasm. However, for some reason the embark spot varies greatly across the elevations rather than being completely flat. I don't know if there's anything I can tweak to make landforms remain in the extremes (i.e., only incredibly flat) AND get an outside river as well as all the inside features.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 03:27:24 am »

Hi!

To be honest, I am happy with the new variation and the surprise factor.

But then again, I was always so slow I never reached the magma (hit the chasm once or twice, and crossed it only in one fortress, I think).

I personally enjoy games where there is something unpredictable (SimCity 4 is better than SimCity Societies for me and SimCity beats CityLife in general in my eyes).

Deathworks

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 03:37:54 am »

I spent probably two days searching for a great location to embark from, and when I gave up, I found it. What I had wanted to build, was a chasm that cut across a mountain with a brook on the other side.

For two reasons: My farms could be west of the chasm, by the brook, and my main fortress could be east, across the chasm. I built a drawbridge over the chasm, and then carved parapets into the mountain. All in all, the fortress is looking amazing.

Can't say I agree, as 3D allows for much more strategy. I build what I call "dog pits". In order for an enemy to get into my fortress, they have to travel through three seperate chokepoints. Each chokepoint ends in a stairway leading into a small room that has four war dogs in it I have a lever that seals each hallway. In order to get past all the choke points, the enemy must go down the stairs, meaning no ranged attackers will be able to shoot at my dogs without being in range of their attacks, and the floodgates ensure that I can give my army proper time to respond. The way I have built the chokepoints, ensures that the enemy will only be able to fight my dwarves one at a time, while my dwarves will be able to fight three on one.

Through simple architecture, I am able to keep my fortress safe. Also, the ability to channel water, and move it up and down is quite nice. I created a moat fed by two artificial waterfalls using six stacks of pumps (And fueled by the very water they were moving and a windmill... =/ but we don't speak of that...). All of this couldn't be done with a 2D map. Personally, the amazing feats of engineering are what motivate me to play these types of games.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 10:48:35 am »

orgional fortress location but with current fortress abilities! that would be awesome and i wouldn't care if there was no levels. you could build a perfect fortress back then, exactly how you wanted it. I'm not saying its not possible now (bloody amazing) but then it was powerful and beautiful! can anyone do this? maybe a side project from toady himself?

No, you don't speak for everyone. The 2d version got boring for me too fast with the single level and terrain similarities.

On the other hand, if you visit the wiki you can find starting locations that met your requirements for making complex single level forts.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:50:22 am by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 09:16:32 pm »

I'm just rubbish at naming my topics. I love the new version but I only got into it after the 2d era and having read and re read boatmurdered i decided that i wanted that but without the crap we had to deal with. i have the old version and love it but some parts are pointless and difficult. so yeah.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 09:59:13 pm »

I say eventually we need a "classic mode" that has the old map with the new features and stuff. That would be pretty sweet. Although I'd probably only play it once just to see what 2D was like without all the bugs.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 10:55:22 pm »

I think we'd be better off with more variety in what we can import. The Perfect Site(tm) just doesn't naturally exist. You'll always be missing something, and you'll want it the longer you go without it. Once you can reliably import sand, rare stones and metals and... hell, possibly even a way to acquire lava in a non-lava area, even with ridiculously high costs, things would be perfect.

I'm thinking of you selling off your adamantine longsword artifact to the outpost to have them plan some massive project in return that grants you lava to work with, something like that. Or caged magma men!

Actually, I could do without lava. I just wish I could get sand easily.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 12:47:49 am »

i'm the opposite. kooky!

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 12:49:17 am »

Actually I think magma should be available on every kind of terrain. Only being in lower levels for non-volcanic areas. Maybe, to make things more interesting, the lower you go, the difficult would be to go even lower due to natural difficulties like air-rarity, toxic gases, compressed gas explosions, etc. this would give back some of the game progress structure of the 2d version to the 3d one.

Also, I find it weird that most cool underground features are restricted to mountain areas. Their distribution should be more even between different biomes or different biomes should have their own unique above or underground features that make them interesting to settle in.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:51:58 am by Zemat »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 01:16:44 am »

i don't normally settle in mountains. to many z levels

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 01:19:41 am »

And by doing that you miss most of the cool stuff (chasms, underground rivers, hidden fun stuff, etc) which happen to appear only or mostly on mountain biomes.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 02:32:37 am »

Oh i began doing it recently and it is awesome but finding magma and water and all that (I would settle for magma) is impossible! its ridiculously hard to find magma assessable for me.

I am playing this wrong.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 02:54:27 am »

The best way would be if the generator automaticly generated some areas. Just a few on the map, that are clearly marked that have a progressable design. An yes it's sad that the lava river is gone. :(
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Volcanism
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 04:22:29 am »

Hello!

I have been wondering; doesn't lava occur starting at a certain volcanism level? If you want lava everywhere, wouldn't raising the minimum volcanism level to that level create the world you are looking for (lava everywhere)?

As far as I can tell, volcanism does not have any biome effect (I always have volcanism variance 1600 and see no odd phenomena), so messing around with it should not impair the variety of worlds you can get.

Deathworks

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 04:49:54 am »

helllo? not hi? by armok!

thank you for that idea i will try it.

I have nothing to contribute in this bost so....
BUMP! WITH A BIG CAPS LOCK!

Pages: 1 [2]