Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Version 1?!?  (Read 3134 times)

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
Version 1?!?
« on: August 17, 2008, 10:20:55 pm »

Apparently it's coming soon. Does this mean that Dwarf Fortress will no longer be alpha, or am I crazy?
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Version 1?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:24:09 pm »

Version one is coming anything but soon. We expect it will be in several hundred years. Cyber-toady (who will download his brain onto a computer to live forever and therefore work on DF forever) will get to version 1 and the entire world will rejoice. Every single country will stop shooting at each other and set aside a month for every citizen to play DF nonstop.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:36:47 pm »

Version one is coming anything but soon. We expect it will be in several hundred years. Cyber-toady (who will download his brain onto a computer to live forever and therefore work on DF forever) will get to version 1 and the entire world will rejoice. Every single country will stop shooting at each other and set aside a month for every citizen to play DF nonstop.

I believe this was actually foretold in the bible and by Nostradamus (The 2nd one, not that first liar).

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 12:16:37 am »

Toady cancles Sleep: Interrupted by party x365
'Douchebag' Urist cancles party: Resting injury
'Douchebag' Urist has died of his wounds
Toady cancles Program Game: Interrupted by police
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:18:24 am by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 12:29:22 am »

I think version 1 is a myth created by toady to give us hope.

Domini0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 01:07:09 am »

I believe its not that version one is coming up, but rather the planning is (for the most part) complete with a definitive goal to be reached.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 02:25:58 am »

Toady will be cloned several times befor DF 1 will come
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 02:32:06 am »

I estimate that DF will be finished around the time of the technological singularity.  (2045 if you ask Ray Kurzweil :P)

Default Settings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 02:45:59 am »

Does this mean that Dwarf Fortress will no longer be alpha, or am I crazy?
Dwarf Fortress is, was and will be the Alpha and the Omega.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 02:49:57 am »

I estimate that DF will be finished around the time of the technological singularity.  (2045 if you ask Ray Kurzweil :P)

I don't like Kurzweil.  Namely because of this article.  The guys who wrote the article said, "what would we like to see in the year 2050?  Ok, can technology solve those problems/get us there?  Yes, here's what happened" and didn't look at the social and political changes necessary to reach ANY of their conclusions.

Quote from: Jerome C. Glenn and Theodore J. Gordon
The race to educate the world began after the World Summit on Cognitive Development in 2010.

Wait, what?  What caused that to happen?  Why was there a WORLD SUMMIT on education?  Why on Earth would anyone give a rat's ass?

Entire article goes on like that, I couldn't even read the whole thing (I had to for a class).

I don't remember most of the articles I read--or if any were actually by him--but in general I don't agree with his viewpoints.  The man is too much of an optimist to see that humanity is going to nuke itself before we solve world hunger.

Default Settings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 03:30:57 am »

Entire article goes on like that, I couldn't even read the whole thing (I had to for a class).
If you ask me, the fact alone that the url points to a directory named "meme" is enough to tell that this guy gets way too much caught up in things to be taken completely serious.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 04:44:07 am »

Transhumanism is a waste of time.

Transdwarfism is where the money is.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 06:19:02 am »

Also whos to say development would just stop once the game hits 1.0.

I am expecting toady to be working on DF 2.28.31.181.39X in the year 3008
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 08:11:58 am »

Apparently it's coming soon. Does this mean that Dwarf Fortress will no longer be alpha, or am I crazy?

Toady will just update the dev site with all cores up to v1.0
You probably misunderstood something.
I wouldnt expect to see v1.0 in the next few years, I think -with this development speed-, v1.0 might be available in 4-6 years.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 11:55:41 am »

If you ask me, the fact alone that the url points to a directory named "meme" is enough to tell that this guy gets way too much caught up in things to be taken completely serious.

Fortunately I wrote a paper for that class describing my sheer displeasure of the article.  Glenn will probably keep using it though.
Pages: [1] 2