Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Real-world languages  (Read 2844 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real-world languages
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 11:36:25 pm »

Nice, I'm gonna make my race of tiger men to use lithuanian...
No idea why, it just looks cool.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 12:58:12 am »

what should i do to put more word in a language? is this requiring to add it somewhere else too?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 01:45:22 am »

Words need to be added to language_words.txt and language_SYM.txt as well as the language file itself.
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 02:03:01 am »

For some reason I got a guy with a blank name, but the translation says "Plankmatches". Also most of the other names are combinations of elf, goblin and dwarf words. Is that how this normally works?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 02:17:59 am »

and is it a problem for the game if there is a world in SYM and words and it isnt in the language_XY ?
(i am just having a great idee about this ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 12:16:08 pm »

Yes, you must use the appropriate SYM and words files or you wind up with blank names when it tries to generate a name it doesn't have words for. ;)
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 02:36:41 am »

Someone bumped the random mods thing and I remembered this mod. I thought you hadn't released it, but I looked around DF Modding to be sure and I was very delighted to find this.

Trying it now. I'm thinking Finnish for elves, Estonian for humans, French for dwarves, and Swedish for Goblins. All languages I at least somewhat understand (Estonian only because it's similar to Finnish)

I predict I will fall from my chair in laughter when I meet some elves.

Thank you a lot!

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 03:24:36 am »

make the hungarian for dwarfes, i found it work's well with them and franch .. i don't know it is not dwarfish at all (and hungarian is related to finish/estonien so you will have just the bad skandinave goblins agains the civilisaided Finno-Ugric peoples of DF ;)
Mohreb el Yasim

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 02:06:50 pm »

I keep picturing my French speaking dwarves prancing around, drinking from barrels with their pinky fingers extended, wearing (and polishing) monocles and behaving in every way very upper class and polite.

I think I should have made the elves French and dwarves Finnish, but I was only thinking about the connection with Tolkien's Elvish and Finnish. Also the mod made very nice-sounding and nature-y names in Finnish, so I have no idea anymore how I should put the languages. Based on characteristics of the peoples or just the way they would sound nice?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 02:22:23 pm »

If you feel like adding it, in the modding section of the wiki there's an ancient mod I made called "Rome Fortress". The entire dictionary was painstakingly translated to latin by myself. The problem of course is that it was made way way back when 3d first came out, so likely there are a ton of untranslated words in it.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 05:07:23 am »

I've uploaded a new version with properly displayed diacretics and 50 additional words. There's still some symbols which Dwarf Fortress won't be able to display, and I had to fudge a few of the ones there were, but this should be much better. If you have any suggestions, corrections, or comments, please toss them my way. :)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 03:40:49 pm »

Hey! Update your link!
I want my Japanese goblins!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 03:45:58 pm »

Hey! Update your link!
I want my Japanese goblins!

*stabs the vile necromancer and goes back to modding*
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

yarm102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 06:30:48 pm »

if it helps, i have full german, latin and half a dutch language file and workable first names here:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35842.0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 10:32:51 pm »

We've been discussing it, and we need Klingon, latin, and Hebrew, oh, and yiddish.

Yiddish Dwarves, Korean elves, Latin humans, and Klingon goblins.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 [2] 3