Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Real-world languages  (Read 2845 times)

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Real-world languages
« on: August 17, 2008, 10:17:54 pm »

A few people wanted to see this, so I've uploaded the files I made for real-world languages for Dwarf Fortress. Current vocabulary is 250 words. Languages included: Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.

http://keolah.tripod.com/df/

I'm clearly a very bored linguistics dork with way too much time on my hands.

Version 0.1.1, now properly handles most of the more common diacretics, but there's still a few which DF simply won't be able to display at all. Files are not yet compatable with the base game's SYM and words files, but these will work fine with the rest of the languages in the set.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 05:04:56 am by Keolah »
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Real-world languages
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:46:20 pm »

Do you fluently speak all of those languages?

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:03:44 pm »

No, I fluently use a dictionary, primarily. ;) I'm just fascinated by languages, both real and constructed.
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 12:07:48 am »

Yay! My language!
Let's see it! (will mod a race with this, East High Human anyone?)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 01:22:10 am »

cool
i can see dwarfs speaking hungarian :D
(do i need a new mapgeneration if i replace these with original languages?)
are they complet? if not did you mind if i complet the hungarian(if it is not too hard i am not sure i understand all those english worlds :D)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 01:44:23 am »

I'm still working on adding more words to the files -- They only have about 200 words at the moment, whereas the default languages have over 2000, so language files made for other word sets may not come out entirely properly. Generating a new map is necessary I think since it doesn't have all the words the default files have yet. (And I think it has a few words they lack as well.)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:30:14 pm »

I checked the Icelandic translation. It doesn't work very well with DF, though. For one thing, you put all the adjectives in masculine gender, whereas I would recommend using the female gender, which is considered the neutral gender for adjectives. So instead of, say, reidur(reiđur, actually), we'd use reid. Or reiđ.

Do you mind if I go ahead and clean it up? I'm not waiting for answer to that, by the way.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 01:19:37 pm »

Heh, do what you like. ;) (I couldn't figure out what to put in the text file to put out a đ :() I don't actually speak any of these languages particularly well, so I only know so well as the dictionary says (dictionary.com has a very convenient lookup for multiple languages at once, but it's not always particularly useful or accurate.) If you can fix it up, I'd appreciate seeing what you do with it (and how to get those characters to work.)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 04:29:36 pm »

i tryed the hungarian and it is cool
however sometimesz you make some error like i seen in the place of "sz" you put always "sh" and in place of "cs" you put "ch" isn't it a bit ancient the thing you use to translate ...
however i really apreciate your work and i would be glad to help so if you want i correct these errors.
the other thing i would like to change is that sime time you use forms that aren't enougth in the mood of fantasy ... i could find some more appropriate synonime if you don't mind ...
will you my help in these project (ok i can just in hungarian becouse german french and spanish i speak but not well enougth to help ...)

edit: is it a problem if there are characters like éáűőúüóí in the raws? it would help because it can really help comprehension of a text/world if they are in ...(ex: "vagy/vágy" is "you are/wish")
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 04:38:27 pm by Mohreb el Yasim »
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 06:58:20 pm »

Those characters should probably work. Some of them already show up in dwarven.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 07:00:54 pm »

Yes, I'm sure the game supports the characters, but I couldn't figure out how to intelligibly insert them into the text files... just putting them in as-is results in gibberish. The characters in the default dwarven language look like gibberish in my text editor also, even if I use the font it suggested. (Hell, I just figured out today how to reliably change the symbols that my custom plants use. I feel like such a noob. ;))

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 07:30:49 pm »

I don't know how to fix the special character problem either, but here goes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:42:28 pm »

If you look on the wiki under the heading character table you can see a list of all of the characters that you can use in dwarf fortress. If you need any, just copy paste it from the wiki page into your text document. Any other symbols or letters you will just have to do without.

Anyway, whenever someone completes a language for this, could they post it and put it up for download, because I would really like some new languages, but only if they have enough words to be useable.

Oh, talking about languages, the End of Days mod has a pretty good latin translation of all the default words in it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 09:57:38 pm »

Copy/pasting does not work for me. They show up as gibberish in the text file, and gibberish in the game. (Question marks and blank boxes rather than the characters that I want to show up.)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 10:13:43 pm »

Hunh, it has worked for me so far? ???
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2 3