Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: second story windmills  (Read 2708 times)

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
second story windmills
« on: August 17, 2008, 07:58:03 pm »

I want to build a pump at ground level outdoors and power it with a windmill build a level up on Constructions. Can I construct Walls and then make another level out of constructions on top of those walls? I saw an article on dwarfwiki about this but couldnt get it to work so i wonder if its outdated.

My problem now is that when I construct walls like so:
Code: [Select]
X X
                   (X=Walls)
X X

and then try to put floors one level up like so
XFX
FFF         (F = floors)
XFX

It won't let me build the floors.

Anyway way to do this?

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: second story windmills
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:08:06 pm »

Do you have an access ramp/stairs to the second floor?

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 08:18:12 pm »

oh.... no. :D thanks!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 08:36:48 pm »

If you're going to put a windmill on the second level, you'll want to refrain from constucting a floor in the middle; else the windmill won't power the thing below it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 11:48:24 pm »

Can screw pumps be powered in a sequence? Do they need an axle between them to connect them or can they just be next to each other?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 12:51:14 am »

If you're going to put a windmill on the second level, you'll want to refrain from constructing a floor in the middle; else the windmill won't power the thing below it.
You sure about that?  I thought windmills could transmit power through a layer of floor.  That way it's solidly supported.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:56:35 am »

Can screw pumps be powered in a sequence? Do they need an axle between them to connect them or can they just be next to each other?
They can just be next to each other. In fact, if you build a pump and channel out one tile of the roof you can build another pump directly above it. You can build pump ladders using this method to raise liquids to any height in a compact area.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 01:10:48 am »

awesome!

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 01:27:09 am »

In my experience you can't just channel out the entire area under a screwpump, only the back part. I think it's because the front, the passage bright-green X, needs to be occupied in order to power it manually. To allow for this contingency it will refuse to be placed if there walkable part of the pump isn't on a floor. To place machinery (such as pumps) that is partially or fully hanging you also need to have machinery either above or underneath it, so you may have to start from the bottom and build the pumps one level at a time.

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 02:06:01 am »

For more detail than Stromko or I provided, check out the DFWiki page on screw pumps: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Pump

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 02:42:29 am »

That guide is terribly confusing and I think certain details may be inaccurate though, primarily in how they describe the front and back of the pump. I would think when they say 'front', they mean the part facing the water source and the back would be the output. The back of the pump in fact is impassable to both dwarves and water, while the front is passable by dwarves and probably water, going by my definition that just seems to make more immediate sense, to me.

I found their choice of front/back highly counterintuitive, but once I figured that out the rest basically makes sense. The arrows on the diagrams show the flow of the water through the pumps, meaning if the arrow is pointing to the left the pump is actually drawing from the right. I think this might be why they describe the 'front' of the pump as actually being the impassable part that blocks water and pumps out water to the square next to it.

In the first, most-graphical diagram, the part with a wall that holds back the water is the dim X that you see while placing the pump, just like workshops, blocks movement (and also water in this case). The part with the gear on its side and the wooden bits is the bright green X you see when you're placing the pump. This is where a dwarf stands to manually operate the pump, just like with workshops the bright area shows where dwarves can move and probably water will flow through this square too if you let it. Naturally a dwarf can't stand where he can't walk, and when he's operating the pump he'll be standing right next to the water-source, meaning the square you can walk in will be placed right next to the water.

Sorry about explaining it over and over like that, but I had a really headache-wracking time trying to figure out how to orient pumps, and so I don't want anyone else to struggle like I did.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 02:51:39 am by Stromko »

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 04:08:22 am »

They can just be next to each other. In fact, if you build a pump and channel out one tile of the roof you can build another pump directly above it. You can build pump ladders using this method to raise liquids to any height in a compact area.

i didnd know that.... i knew they transferred it on the same z level but not that you dont need any mechanisms at all to build a pump tower.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 10:15:16 am »

If you're going to put a windmill on the second level, you'll want to refrain from constructing a floor in the middle; else the windmill won't power the thing below it.

You sure about that?  I thought windmills could transmit power through a layer of floor.  That way it's solidly supported.

Right. In fact, you can't even build a windmill when there's a hole in the center. The game won't let you.

I just built my first windmill, with a vertical axle below to drop the power down another level. It seemed to make more sense to channel out the center square where I placed my windmill, but when I did that, I couldn't build the windmill there. I had to cover the opening with a floor tile first. Then it worked fine.

The vertical axle did need a channel opening downward. Or, at least, it worked fine that way. But it connected to the windmill through solid flooring.

Bill

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 11:32:55 am »

Hm. I did a lot of stuff with windmills back in 38c, and they worked very consistently with a hole in the center of the flooring beneath them.

I'll have to experiment.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 12:04:12 pm »

Last time I built the windmills the pump or machine needed to be complete under it first. Then you could build over the hole.

Keep in mind this setup will Always power whatever you connect to it. Should you need to turn off the power occasionally you need 2 gear assemblies and a lever. If you put just one gear assembly under the windmill and set it up with a lever, pulling the lever will make the windmill fall since it looses its support object. To get around that put one gear/device under the windmill and add a second gear to put the mechanism on. Connect the lever to the gear on the right as shown below.

O.O%      +|+
.**%      +o+
O.O~      +|+

Lv 1.  Lv 2.

Just as a side note pumps can be powered by any of their directly adjacent tiles. Any two pumps touching at these points will transfer power as well. Enjoy.

*= powerable locations

*%*
*%*
Pages: [1] 2